Advertisement

Sean 'Diddy' Combs' Alleged Drug Mule and Former Syracuse Basketball Player Arrested at Miami Airport amid Home Raids

Brendan Paul was arrested on Monday on cocaine and marijuana possession charges

<p>Miami-Dade Police Department</p> Brendan Paul in his mugshot

Miami-Dade Police Department

Brendan Paul in his mugshot

Sean Diddy Combs' alleged drug mule Brendan Paul has been arrested on cocaine and marijuana possession felony charges.

According to an arrest affidavit obtained by PEOPLE, Paul, 25, a former Syracuse University basketball player, was taken into custody at Opa-Locka airport by Miami-Dade police working alongside Homeland Security agents, who raided the music mogul's two homes around the same time on Monday.

The affidavit alleges that Paul was arrested after he was caught with suspected cocaine and marijuana in his travel bags. While Paul has been named in Rodney Jones’ civil sexual assault lawsuit against Combs, this arrest does not appear to be connected to the rapper.

"We do not plan on trying this case in the media — all issues will be dealt with in court," Paul's lawyer Brian Bieber said in a statement to PEOPLE.

Paul — who was bailed out Tuesday — was previously named in a lawsuit filed by Combs' former producer and videographer Rodney “Lil Rod” Jones, in which Jones accused Paul of being Combs' “mule” who “acquires” and “distributes” his “drugs and guns.” The bond was set at $2,500.

The Miami-Dade police department had no comment on the matter.

Combs' homes in Miami and Los Angeles were raided by federal agents amid sex trafficking allegations filed in two lawsuits against the star.

When news of the raids broke, FOX11 broadcasted aerial footage of the 54-year-old Bad Boy Records founder's two sons Justin Combs, 30, and Christian 'King' Combs, 25, handcuffed outside their Beverly Hills home and speaking with authorities.

Related: Sean 'Diddy' Combs' Lawyer Calls Home Raids an 'Unprecedented Ambush' as He Maintains Rapper's Innocence

Meanwhile, Combs' private jet reportedly landed in Antigua and he himself was spotted at the Miami-Opa Locka Executive Airport on Monday.

After the raids, a Homeland Security Investigations representative commented on the matter in a statement to PEOPLE.

"Earlier today, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) New York executed law enforcement actions as part of an ongoing investigation, with assistance from HSI Los Angeles, HSI Miami, and our local law enforcement partners. We will provide further information as it becomes available," said the representative.

Combs' lawyer, attorney Aaron Dyer, spoke out Tuesday and said the raids were "a gross overuse of military-level force as search warrants were executed at Mr. Combs’ residences."

"There is no excuse for the excessive show of force and hostility exhibited by authorities or the way his children and employees were treated," he said in a statement to PEOPLE.

<p>Dia Dipasupil/Getty</p> Sean "Diddy" Combs in New York City in September 2017

Dia Dipasupil/Getty

Sean "Diddy" Combs in New York City in September 2017

Dyer said that Combs "was never detained but spoke to and cooperated with authorities" throughout the ordeal.

"Despite media speculation, neither Mr. Combs nor any of his family members have been arrested nor has their ability to travel been restricted in any way," the lawyer added of Combs, who is currently facing four active lawsuits accusing him of sexual assault, with a fifth settled last November.

"This unprecedented ambush — paired with an advanced, coordinated media presence — leads to a premature rush to judgment of Mr. Combs and is nothing more than a witch hunt based on meritless accusations made in civil lawsuits," added Dyer.

The statement concluded, "There has been no finding of criminal or civil liability with any of these allegations. Mr. Combs is innocent and will continue to fight every single day to clear his name."

In November 2023, Combs' former girlfriend Casandra “Cassie” Ventura filed a lawsuit against him for allegations of rape, sex trafficking and domestic violence. The next day, they reached a settlement.

Later that month, according to documents obtained by PEOPLE, Liza Gardner claimed that Combs and singer-songwriter Aaron Hall took turns raping her and a friend in New York City over 30 years ago. He was also accused of sexual assault by a third woman, Joi Dickerson-Neal.

Related: Usher Says He Saw 'Very Curious Things' When He Lived with Diddy for a Year at 13 in 2016 Interview with Howard Stern

In December, a fourth person accused Combs of sexual assault, sex trafficking and gang rape. Then, in February, Jones filed a lawsuit in New York federal court claiming that he was sexually harassed, drugged and threatened by him for over a year.

That same month, Combs released a blanket denial of all allegations against him in a statement to PEOPLE.

“ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. For the last couple of weeks, I have sat silently and watched people try to assassinate my character, destroy my reputation and my legacy," he said.

"Sickening allegations have been made against me by individuals looking for a quick payday," added Combs at the time. “Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged. I will fight for my name, my family and for the truth."

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.