Security chief defends not canceling Dortmund game after attack

Helmut Spahn said if the match between Dortmund and Monaco was canceled, it would have given the assailants what they wanted.

Should the UEFA have canceled Dortmund's game against Monacoafter the team's bus was attacked?

According toDirector General of the International Centre for Sport Security Helmut Spahn, absolutely not.

"If we give in, we do exactly what these criminals want," Spahn said, via ESPN.com. However, he was quick to add: "If there had been fatalities, of course no match would have been held."

The Office of the Attorney General of Germany has launched an investigation after the Dortmund bus was targeted by three explosions on its way to its home stadium for Tuesday's match. Defender Marc Bartra was injured in the blasts and hospitalized, but there were no casualties.

Monaco defeated Dortmund3-2 in Wednesday's rescheduled match.

BVB coach Thomas Tuchel was furious about having to play the match, saying he and the team were left with "a feeling of impotence."

Dortmund defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos was also critical of the decision to play and said he felt as if he were treated like an animal.

MORE: Explosion hits Borussia Dortmund bus; Champions League match postponed | German police detain suspect in Borussia Dortmund attack

However,German Minister of the Interior Thomas De Maiziere agreed with Spahnin that the match needed to go on and that by not playing would be allowing the attackers to win.

A suspect with links to ISIS had been detained by German police, but as of Thursdaythe Federal Prosecutor's office in Germanysaid there was no evidence to link the suspect to the blast.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes