Security threat to New Zealand deemed ‘not credible’ ahead of third ODI against England Women

·2-min read
 (Getty Images)
(Getty Images)

New Zealand Cricket says a “threatening email” sent to the ECB ahead of the third ODI against England Women has been investigated and deemed “not credible”, with the match at Leicester set to go ahead.

According to ESPN CricInfo, New Zealand received threats of a bomb being planted in their team hotel ahead of Tuesday’s fixture.

The NZC statement said: “As has been reported, the ECB have received a threatening email relating to NZC.

“Although this did not specifically reference the White Ferns, it was treated seriously, investigated, and deemed not credible.

“The White Ferns have now arrived in Leicester and, as a precaution, security around them has been boosted. Reports their training has been cancelled are false. They were not scheduled to train today as it was a travelling day.”

The situation comes at an awkward moment for both countries’ cricketing authorities.

New Zealand last week pulled out of their men’s tour of Pakistan due to growing security concerns on the advice of their government, citing a “specific and credible” threat.

On Monday, England followed suit by pulling the plug on both men’s and women’s white-ball tours due to take place in the Asian country this autumn. The men’s tour would have been England’s first to Pakistan since 2005, while the women have never previously visited.

“The ECB board convened this weekend to discuss these extra England women’s and men’s games in Pakistan and we can confirm that the board has reluctantly decided to withdraw both teams from the October trip,” the ECB statement announcing the withdrawal read.

“The mental and physical well-being of our players and support staff remains our highest priority and this is even more critical given the times we are currently living in.

“We know there are increasing concerns about travelling to the region and believe that going ahead will add further pressure to a playing group who have already coped with a long period of operating in restricted Covid environments.”

The decision has been met with dismay in Pakistan, with the country desperate to welcome back regular international cricket, having played the majority of their home games in the UAE over the past decade because of security concerns following the 2009 attack on the Sri Lankan team in Lahore.

PCB chair Ramiz Raja took to Twitter shortly after the announcement, writing: “Disappointed with England, pulling out of their commitment and failing a member of their cricket fraternity when it needed it most. Survive we will inshallah. A wake-up call for Pak team to become the best team in the world for teams to line up to play them without making excuses.”

Read More

England confirm men’s and women’s tours of Pakistan OFF over security concerns

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting