Senior West Ham striker declares he hasn’t ‘ruled anything out’ amid links to Everton and Wolves
West Ham United centre-forward Michail Antonio has opened up on his podcast about the prospect of leaving the club this winter.
The Englishman has spent a successful eight-and-a-half years with the Hammers but has fallen out of favour with manager David Moyes this season.
This may be Antonio’s last chance to secure a move to another big club and West Ham may well opt to offload him to recoup some transfer funds while they still have the chance.
After moving to the London club in 2015, Antonio has been a top performer for the Hammers, netting 66 goals and making 42 assists in 254 appearances across all competitions.
The 32-year-old has also been key to the team’s recent success, as they finished in sixth place in the Premier League in 2020/21 and seventh in 2021/22, when they also reached the Europa League semi-final.
Despite this, Antonio has fallen down the pecking order this season following the arrival of centre-forward Gianluca Scamacca. Furthermore, extra competition has recently come in the shape of Danny Ings, although he has already suffered an injury.
So far, Antonio has made 19 league appearances this season, but the majority of these have been coming off the bench.
Indeed, West Ham are also looking to sign yet another striker this month, with them being heavily linked with a move for Lorient goal machine Terem Moffi.
It was reported on Sunday that the Hammers had agreed on a fee of £21million for the Nigeria international, with negotiations now in their final stages.
With that in mind, the prospect of Antonio leaving the club seems all the more likely as we enter the final days of the winter window.
Antonio says he will ‘definitely be upset’ if he leaves West Ham
Everton have been heavily linked with a move for Antonio for the past couple of weeks, as their desperation to sign attacking players this month is clear to see.
Wolves are also reportedly interested in signing the Englishman, having already signed Craig Dawson from the Hammers.
As a result, those two teams would be the striker’s most likely options, should West Ham opt to sell him in the coming days.
Antonio doesn’t go into detail about which teams have contacted him but has confirmed that talks have taken place.
Speaking on his Footballer’s Football Podcast, he said: “Honestly, I’ve not ruled anything out. That’s all I can say.
“There are talks, so whatever happens, happens.
“I’ve been here for eight-and-a-half years now, become top goalscorer for the club [in the Premier League] and I’ve loved every moment.
“Every single moment is close to my heart. I love the fans, I’ve loved my time at West Ham.
“It’s just one of those things. I’m not saying goodbye, I’m saying basically, if it happens, it happens and if it doesn’t, it doesn’t.
“I won’t be upset about staying and I’ll definitely be upset if I leave because obviously I’ve enjoyed my time here, but football is football.
“Players move, players stay and eight-and-a-half years at one club, I would never have thought of it because before I came to West Ham the most I stayed at a club was two years.
“I’ve still got a year and a half here. I can’t say I’m going because I’ve still got a year and a half left at the club.”
There are just five days until the transfer window slams shut, so it will be interesting to see if Everton, Wolves or another club get a deal over the line for Antonio.
READ MORE: One for every club: A player all 20 Premier League sides should look to sign before the January transfer window closes
The article Senior West Ham striker declares he hasn’t ‘ruled anything out’ amid links to Everton and Wolves appeared first on Teamtalk.com.