The Pointer Inn public house, with hanging sign for John Smiths 'Magnet Ales', landlady Mrs Catherine Golden. At this time, this was listed as North Street, name being changed after road works were completed. So the Pointer was 236 North Street, then to the right, number 234 fruit shop run by Ernest Crosby, number 232 Frederick Freemantle selling hosiery. At number 230 Myers Lewis, ladies tailor. Next 228 Murphys Hardware shop, last in row 226 Myer Wolf furniture shop. Behind number 226 is an artists impression of the facade of the Sheepscar library which was opened in 1938. At the junction of Chapeltown Road and Roundhay Road. Pictured in June 1927.
Three boozers – Pointer Inn, Dantzic Inn and Regent Inn – are all in included in this mini-gallery of memories celebrating a decade in the life of the Leeds suburb. School life and sweet shops also feature in the photo gems. The images are published courtesy of the
Thoresby Society and photographic archive Leodis which is run by Leeds Library & Information Service. READ MORE: 33 closed Leeds pubs which will stir fond memories for drinkers LOVE LEEDS? LOVE NOSTALGIA? Join Leeds Retro on facebook The Dantzic Inn on Regent Street pictured in June 1926. The name Dantzic was taken from the town in Germany which was famed for brewing Spruce beer and also the high quality of Oak casks which were used. (Photo: Leeds Libraries, www.leodis.net) A visit by the Lord Mayor, Alderman Hugh Lupton and the Lady Mayoress, Ella Lupton, to Roundhay Road Council School in June 1927. The Lord Mayor is wearing his chains of office and the Lady Mayoress is seated to the right of him. The school room is typical of the period with wooden desks containing inkwells arranged in rows. Words and numbers are pinned up around the walls and there is a blackboard at the rear. The children are smartly dressed but there is no uniform. (Photo: Thoresby Society) Construction of a beck covering over Sheepscar Beck at Whitelock Street. The beck runs in a stone channel under a timber "form", over which the brick covering is being built. There are workmen and a concrete mixer in the picture, and terraced houses and other buildings in the background. The block of terrace houses to the right is Valley Street. Pictured in June 1928. Stamford Street in September 1928. On the left, number 47 is being used as a shop. Bernard Sier occupied the premises. There are advertisements for Brooke Bond tea; the window has jars of sweets and vegetables in it. To the right, number 49 Jacob Phillips has a taxi hire business. The houses have basement rooms which were accessible from the street. Shops led down from the pavement, these areas were seperated from the street by railings. (Photo: Leeds Libraries, www.leodis.net) Myrtle Street on the left, located off Regent Street, with the Regent Inn. There are painted wall signs for Hemingway's Ales on the walls of the pub. Pictured in June 1926. Stamford Street taken from junction with Cross Stamford Street in September 1929. Ehrlich, cloth merchant is on the corner with Jacob Brown, boot and shoe repairer next door at 63 Stamford Street. (Photo: Leeds Libraries, www.leodis.net) A view taken from Cross Stamford Street of St Lukes Street. Shop on left is number 9 Cross Stamford Street and is the business of Daniel Cohen, Shopkeeper with John William Pawson general store next door. Painted advertising signs can be seen. Junction with Stamford Street on the right. Pictured in September 1929. Share your feedback with Andrew Hutchinson via email at: email@example.com or tweet him - @AndyHutchYPN (Photo: Leeds Libraries, www.leodis.net)