Shiels double earns victory

Michael Nelson

Dean Shiels scored twice in the last 10 minutes to give Kilmarnock a 4-3 victory over 10-man Inverness in a topsy-turvy match in the Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League.

James Fowler put the hosts in front after 14 minutes, but his effort was cancelled out by Billy McKay's two goals in six minutes which gave the visitors a 2-1 interval lead. Inverness midfielder Jonny Hayes was sent off for a second yellow card just before the hour and Kilmarnock quickly capitalised, equalising through Michael Nelson.

Shiels netted twice in quick success in the closing stages to give the hosts some breaking space, although they had to endure a tense injury time after allowing Steve Williams to reduce the deficit to 4-3 right on 90 minutes.

Kilmarnock took the lead with their first attack of note on 14 minutes. Good work by Shiels saw him play in Danny Racchi, and when his shot from inside the box was parried by Ryan Esson, Fowler was on hand to lap up the rebound from close range.

Inverness equalised just before the half-hour, Johnny Hayes' cross from the right finding its way to Greg Tansey whose volley hit the bar, but when Kilmarnock failed to clear their lines the ball found its way to McKay, who netted from six yards.

McKay added a second just six minutes later. Kilmarnock had been piling on the pressure but the Highlanders launched a counter attack, Hayes leading the charge down the left and crossing for McKay whose delicate header nicked the inside of the left-hand post before creeping over the line.

Hayes was sent off on 57 minutes for his second booking of the game, his foul on Ben Gordon adding to a yellow card five minutes before the interval.

Kilmarnock drew level when Nelson made it 2-2 with a precise back-post header from Racchi's cross from the left.

Shiels restored his side's lead 10 minutes from time, weaving down the left and into a busy penalty box before unleashing a low shot which went in at the far post.

The Kilmarnock forward then sealed the win with a second goal four minutes later after William Gros squared the ball into middle of box where Shiels arrived at pace to sweep home decisively. Inverness pulled a goal back in the final minute when the home defence allowed Williams to fire home.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes