Six Premier League players who will be sidelined for the start of the 2022/23 season

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·5-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

The December World Cup in Qatar will mean an earlier than usual start to the 2022/23 Premier League season.

However, for these six players even a traditional starting mid-August starting date would be too soon for them to be considered ready for first-team action.

Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa)

Konsa suffered a knee injury in Villa's 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace on May 15 and has been ruled out between 12 and 16 weeks. The centre-back is just one appearance away from 100 games in claret and blue. However, while Steven Gerrard said the injury was a setback, it was not as bad as first feared.

"It's not great news, but we're quite relieved because we thought it was going to be an ACL injury," said Gerrard.

"It's an injury that is quite similar to [Marvelous] Nakamba's injury, we managed to get Nakamba back after 14 weeks.

"If you are going to sustain an injury as a player, it's not the worst time in the world, although there is never a good time. "He won't miss much football, we are hoping to get him back some time towards the end of August or September."

Andros Townsend (Everton)

Townsend suffered an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury during Everton's FA Cup quarter-final tie defeat to Crystal Palace.

The Everton winger was forced off in the 16th minute and subsequently underwent an operation, before starting his rehabilitation with Everton's medical staff at Finch Farm. However, his father Troy doesn't expect to see him back in action before the turn of the year. Townsend said: "He needs to get back and make the knee stronger and see where the season will take him, but it definitely won't be the first half [of next season], I will imagine."

Stuart Dallas (Leeds)

Dallas' season came to a premature end when he suffered a femoral fracture of his right leg against Manchester City.

The 31-year-old was involved in a heavy collision with Jack Grealish and had to be taken off on a stretcher shortly before half-time.

Speaking on May 6, Leeds boss Jesse Marsch said the versatile full-back wouldn't be back until December at the earliest: "We all hope the best for Stuart and that he is soon pain free and can return to the training centre so we can really start his recovery," said Marsch. "I think we can safely say it will be six months, but it could be longer and I don't think anyone wants to rush him. The bone has to heal and then they have to look at all the things like the cartilage, the meniscus."

Luke Ayling (Leeds United)

Dallas will at least have company in the Elland Road treatment room as he begins his slow journey back to fitness, with Luke Ayling also expected to miss the start of the campaign. And in an ironic twist it was a savage tackle on someone else that resulted in Ayling undergoing surgery.

The Leeds defender's reckless challenge on Arsenal's Gabriel Martinelli resulted in him being sent off, with the subsequent three-match ban prompting the 30-year-old to undergo an operation on a long-term problem. Taking to Instagram on May 24, Ayling confirmed his operation had been successful and he was hoping for a "speedy" recovery. That is expected to be between two and four months.

Tino Livramento (Southampton)

Tino Livramento injury Southampton
Tino Livramento injury Southampton

Livramento enjoyed an impressive debut season after moving to Southampton from Chelsea, making 32 appearances before suffering an ACL injury in the first half of Saints' 2-2 draw with Brighton in April. The 19-year-old full-back was forced off on a stretcher following a collision with Enock Mwepu and is now in rehab following surgery. Although there is no definitive timescale on his return, Southampton say he is likely to be unavailable for the remainder of 2022.

Jakub Moder (Brighton)

Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Jakub Moder ruptured his ACL after coming on as an 83rd-minute substitute during Brighton's goalless draw with Norwich City in April. The Polish international, who had just returned from helping his country qualify for the World Cup in Qatar, had made 28 appearances for the Seagulls in 2021/22. Not only is Moder set to miss the start of the Premier League season, he is also unlikely to play any part in the World Cup, though Brighton head coach Graham Potter wouldn't be drawn on a timescale for his return. "This is a devastating blow for Jakub," said Potter. "He's made such good progress for us this season and had just played an integral part in helping Poland qualify for the World Cup with victory over Sweden. "Everyone will want to know how long he will be sidelined, it's too early to speculate other than to say he faces a significant period of rehabilitation."

The article Six Premier League players who will be sidelined for the start of the 2022/23 season appeared first on Planetsport.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting