Swindon 'ran out of steam' against Walsall: Lindsey

·2-min read
Swindon 'ran out of steam' against Walsall: Lindsey
Swindon 'ran out of steam' against Walsall: Lindsey

SWINDON Town head coach Scott Lindsey felt his side “ran out of steam” late on in their 2-0 defeat to Walsall in the League Cup on Tuesday night.

Lindsey made 10 alterations to the side which drew 0-0 with Salford City in League Two just three days prior, but the much-changed visitors arguably controlled the opening half before succumbing to two late goals from Danny Johnson and Timmy Abraham.

Despite the higher possession percentage, Swindon managed just three shots in total and only one on target as the search for the season’s first goal continues.

Discussing the performance from his relatively inexperienced XI, Lindsey said: “We played a young side, and it was good for them to get some vital minutes, first and foremost.

“I actually thought we played really well in the first half without really creating anything. We had a lot of the ball, and I was reasonably pleased with the team coming in at half-time.

“I was looking at their team on the sheet before the game and thought it would be a tough game – which it obviously was.

“We ran out of steam in the second half, I felt, and it was a tough night. But listen, the lads will get a lot of experience from that, especially the youngsters.”

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town lose 2-0 to Walsall in League Cup first round.

Prior to Walsall’s two goals, the home side had begun to turn the screw without putting Lewis Ward’s goal in much danger.

The Town stopper made a couple of misjudgements just before the first goal, but his biggest of the evening came when he scuffed a pass towards Tyrese Shade and Harrison Minturn was the unfortunate defender to stop Ronan Maher in his tracks.

Most thought the clash happened just outside the box, but referee Thomas Parsons consulted his linesman and ultimately awarded a spot-kick before sending Minturn off.

Lindsey stated the key incident in the match was in fact a free-kick, but turned his attention to the concerning lack of goals from his side at present.

He said: “I’ve just watched [the penalty incident] back and it’s actually not in the box when the lad gets brought down.

“I haven’t spoken to the referee, so I don’t know what went on, but I’m hoping to find out in the next 20 minutes or so.

“And we’re still looking to strengthen at the top of the pitch, that’s clear to see. I’ve said that for a number of weeks now.

“I think we’ll be looking to strengthen, as well as doing the work on the training ground. I feel OK still because I feel we’ve got goals in the team, but I agree that we do need to add.”