Tadcaster Albion knocked out of FA Cup after 2-0 replay defeat at Tow Law Town

·2-min read
Tadcaster Albion striker Mark Ferguson challenges the Tow Low Town. Picture: Keith Handley
Tadcaster Albion striker Mark Ferguson challenges the Tow Low Town. Picture: Keith Handley

TADCASTER Albion were knocked out of the Emirates FA Cup after suffering a 2-0 defeat at Tow Law Town in their extra preliminary round replay.

Goals in either half from Andrei Ardelean and David Parker saw Tow Law progress at the expense of Tadcaster, despite Albion sitting a tier higher than their County Durham counterparts.

The Brewers will be seeking to return to winning ways in Saturday's Pitching In Northern Premier League east opener at Sheffield FC (3pm).

There were positives for manager John Deacey to take from the trip to the North East though, having created plentiful chances in the first 10 minutes.

Dec McGivern had three early opportunities; seeing a goal-bound header well saved, another header fail to trouble stand-in goalkeeper Kurt Seymour and a shot fired over from outside the six-yard box after Josh Grant's corner.

Having weathered Tadcaster's threatening start, Tow Law struck back through Ardelean, who was tripped in the penalty area before dusting himself down to send keeper Ryan Musselwhite the wrong way from 12 yards out.

Albion livewire Sam Barker had the first half's final chance, his effort just clearing the crossbar.

Team-mate Mark Ferguson went one step closer as a acrobatic bicycle kick skimmed the bar.

The woodwork was rattled again when Harry Jessop's free-kick struck the frame of the goal.

Just three minutes later though, Town's Parker drove a low free-kick through the wall from 25 yards out and into the near corner.

The disappointment at waving goodbye to an FA Cup run at the first attempt was put in some perspective when former York City midfielder Charlie Jebson-King crashed into the home dug-out, his head appearing to collide with the bench.

After several minutes, he was able to regain his feet and was helped off the pitch.

Meanwhile, Pickering Town's losing start to the season extended to four matches after a 2-0 defeat at home to Whickham.

Goals from Nathan Greenwood and Scott Robson saw the visitors take all three points, leaving Pickering as the only Ebac Northern League division one side yet to earn a point thus far.

The foot-of-the-table Pikes travel to third-from-bottom West Allotment Celtic on Saturday (3pm).

Elsewhere, Selby Town recorded successive 3-2 victories in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League division one after coming from 2-0 behind to beat Glasshoughton Welfare.

A Kiyani Clayton brace either side of half time, the former from the penalty spot, put Glasshoughton two goals up.

Ellis Stephenson and Harry Clapham strikes saw Selby draw level before Daniel Davison's winner 11 minutes from the finish.

On Saturday (3pm), the Robins travel to Shirebrook Town, who have taken just a point from their opening two league matches.