Tadcaster Albion suffer first home defeat of season in 4-2 loss to Cleethorpes

Tadcaster Albion players shake hands with their opponents. Picture: Keith Handley
Tadcaster Albion players shake hands with their opponents. Picture: Keith Handley

TADCASTER Albion suffered their first home defeat of the season as they lost 4-2 against Cleethorpes United.

Tadcaster twice fought back from 2-0 and 3-1 down through Jack Carr and Nathan Curtis finishes but a clinical Cleethorpes wrapped up the points through Declan Howe’s second goal in the 84th-minute strike, having earlier seen Jack McMenemy and Jack Moore-Billam find the back of the net.

The result keeps Albion winless from their first four matches of the new term after a Pitching In Northern Premier League east-opening 1-1 draw at Sheffield FC and an Emirates FA Cup exit away to lower-tier Tow Low Town via a 2-0 replay loss following a 1-1 tie.

Against Cleethorpes, Tadcaster struggled to repel their visitors’ strong start which was eventually rewarded after the half-hour mark when goalkeeper Ryan Musselwhite palmed a cross into the path of McMenemy who fired in the opener.

Chris Bateson’s chip onto the crossbar almost made it two.

The second eventually came six minutes into the second half as Howe drove a shot in off the underside of the bar.

Tadcaster responded well as Carr pounced at the back post after some hesitation in the United defence following Brett Agnew’s flick.

Cleethorpes’ two-goal cushion was reasserted a couple of minutes later when Moore-Billam converted a one-on-one.

The Brewers were not deterred and a Curtis penalty cut the gap once more.

With six minutes to go, the away side eventually sealed the points as Howe converted from a sharp counter-attack.

Next up for Tadcaster is a trip to Consett, who also have a point from their first two league matches, on Saturday (3pm).

Meanwhile, Pickering Town ended a five-match losing start to the current campaign by beating Tow Law 2-1 in the Ebac Northern League division one.

Goals from Wayne Brooksby and Jamie Thornton in either half better Ethan Bewley’s late first-half equaliser.

The Pikes travel to Redcar Athletic on Saturday (3pm), taking on a side with four points from as many league matches thus far.