Rio Ferdinand has named two strikers he reckons Manchester United should bring in over Wout Weghorst, including a world-class goalscorer and a surprise World Cup option.
On Sunday, Weghorst emerged as a shock transfer target for Man Utd to solve their striker void. Erik ten Hag’s side have had to negotiate with Weghorst’s parent club, Burnley, as well as his current loan side, Besiktas, in order to try and complete the signing.
Later that day, it was claimed the Dutchman had ‘agreed’ to join Man Utd. Besiktas, meanwhile, began looking at Vincent Aboubakar as Weghorst’s potential replacement in Turkey.
And on Tuesday, Fabrizio Romano revealed there to be a ‘full agreement’ in place between Man Utd, Burnley and Besiktas for Weghorst’s transfer.
Unfortunately for Ten Hag and Man Utd, their potential capture of Weghorst has been met with dismay from fans. This is because they want a bigger name with a better goalscoring record to arrive at Old Trafford and replace Cristiano Ronaldo.
Those involved in the game have also questioned Man Utd’s scouting methods. Dutch journalist Willem van Hanegem writes that those in the Netherlands are in ‘disbelief’ that the transfer might happen, suggesting Weghorst is nowhere near the level required to succeed at Man Utd.
Former Netherlands international Wesley Sneijder says the move would be ‘very strange’. He also joked that it ‘must be a stunt’.
Ferdinand, who made 455 appearances for Man Utd and helped them to win six Premier League titles, has now given his opinion on the Weghorst rumours. The former defender has urged Man Utd to go after one of two strikers instead.
The first is surprisingly Mehdi Taremi of FC Porto. He has limited experience in a major European league, although he has a great record for Porto. And he found the back of the net twice for Iran against England at the World Cup.
Rio Ferdinand suggests two Weghorst alternatives for Man Utd
”I’d have gone and got Taremi in from Porto,” Ferdinand said on his Vibe with Five YouTube channel.
He then suggested Ten Hag bring in a recognised world-class star instead of Weghorst. ”Get Harry Kane in. Spurs fans, I’m sorry, you’re not going to win anything. He ain’t going to win anything at Spurs,” Ferdinand added.
This is not the first time Man Utd have been told to land Kane from Spurs. On Saturday, former Arsenal player Paul Merson told them to ‘break the bank’ and submit a huge bid for Kane.
He accused Man Utd of searching all around the world for a new striker, when the obvious solution is ‘staring everybody in the face’. And Merson believes signing Kane is the only way Man Utd are going to catch up with Man City.
It would be brilliant for Man Utd if they could bring Kane in. The England skipper is already one of the best goal-getters in Prem history. With 198 strikes, he is behind only Alan Shearer and Wayne Rooney in those standings.
29-year-old Kane is not showing any sign of slowing down, either. After bagging 27 goals in the whole of last season, he is already on 17 for the current campaign.
But for Man Utd, the main problem with going after Kane is money. As shown by the pursuit of Weghorst, Ten Hag does not exactly have loads of cash to deal with this month.
And as Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has previously demanded £150m for Kane, a move to Old Trafford is unlikely to ever happen unless the player hands in a transfer request.
Meanwhile, Chelsea have been given the go ahead to sign a top Man Utd target, according to reports.
The article Ten Hag told which world-class striker Man Utd must sign over Weghorst, as Ferdinand also suggests star who troubled England appeared first on Teamtalk.com.