Three Wimbledon security guards were arrested over a brawl which erupted after one of them had apparently taken an extended lunch break on the grounds of the All England Club.
Scotland Yard confirmed the teenage trio had been quizzed after officers were called to an altercation, with spectators claiming guards were incensed by a colleague's three-hour break.
The men, who have been bailed since the fight on Friday, work for Knights Group Security, one of the contractors employed by Wimbledon to oversee security at SW19.
Spectators said one worker accused his colleague of taking a three-hour break, before informing the company supervisor. One fan, not realising who was involved in the brawl, was reported as saying "someone call security.”
"At 2pm on Friday, July 1 officers on duty at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships were alerted to an altercation within the grounds," Scotland Yard said in a statement. “Officers attended. Three men aged 19 working at the event were arrested on suspicion of affray. There were no reports of any injuries. They were taken into custody and were later bailed until a date in late July.”
Security staff had previously drawn attention on Monday, having confronted protesters wearing “Where is Peng Shuai?” t-shirts on the Wimbledon grounds.
The former Wimbledon doubles champion disappeared from public view last year after she accused a senior Chinese official of sexual assault in November 2021.
Will Hoyles, 39, one of the campaigners who works for the Free Tibet campaign, said he and others were quickly confronted by “suspicious” security staff as they walked around the Wimbledon grounds on Monday. “We came trying to raise a bit of awareness but Wimbledon have managed to make it worse for themselves by harassing us," he said.
Knights Group is one of two firms employed by Wimbledon for security in recent years. The firm based in Camberley, Surrey was approached for comment.