Tony Romo news: QB 'distanced himself' from Cowboys, per report

The Cowboys will reportedly release Tony Romo on Tuesday, allowing him to retire and pursue a career in TV broadcasting.

Tony Romo is reportedly not very happy with how his situation has unfolded in Dallas.

The quarterback lost his team last year after rookie Dak Prescott had a historicallygreat season. Now it's clear that Prescott is the future, but Romo's career from here on out appears uncertain. The almost 37-year-old quarterback is in limbo with the Cowboys.

Leading up to NFL free agency multiple reporters claimed the team would release him. Then that day came and went and he remained on the roster. Now it's several weeks later,he's still on the team and Jason Garrett recently said nothing has changed.

"It's really unchanged," Garrett told NFL Network this week about Romo's status. "He's still part of our roster. We haven't made any roster moves with Tony at this point. So it's just status quo right now."

Meanwhile, Romo sits as teams sign other free agent quarterbacks as he's unavailable. It's unlikely a team trades for his contract, and it would be unfair for him to stay in Dallas without the chance to play. So his relationships with teammates and coaches are now strained, and he's grown frustrated as a result.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes