Tottenham snubbed as manager target agrees to take over from axed Nagelsmann at Bayern but twist soon emerges
Former Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel is out of the running to take over from Antonio Conte as the next Tottenham boss after agreeing to replace the sacked Julian Nagelsmann at Bayern Munich instead.
Tuchel has been out of work since September after being shown the door by Chelsea following a 1-0 loss to Dinamo Zagreb in their opening Champions League fixture, with Graham Potter then taking over at Stamford Bridge.
The German had won the competition a year earlier but is said to have fallen out with the club’s new owners.
Tuchel was well in the mix to potentially replace Conte at Spurs, although we understand both he and Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy had reservations about the move.
But according to Sport Bild, Bayern have acted quickly to get Tuchel on board as they were concerned the 49-year-old would soon take another job.
Real Madrid had also been linked with the former Dortmund chief. However, Tuchel is now expected to take charge of his first Bayern match against his old employers next weekend.
The report on Metro, meanwhile, claims that Nagelsmann was completely blind-sided by the decision and had been enjoying a skiing holiday in Austria during the international break.
Bayern are currently a point behind Bundesliga leaders Dortmund and are comfortably the top scorers in Germany too.
However, the club’s hierarchy are said to have become rattled after the loss to Bayer Leverkusen last time out and have turned to Tuchel to improve their chances of silverware.
The report adds that Nagelsmann will be officially informed of the decision in person on Friday, with Tuchel taking charge of his first training session on Monday.
Nagelsmann now emerges as new Tottenham target
The former, ironically, now replaces Tuchel is one of the frontrunners for the job at Tottenham if, as expected, Conte is sacked after his now infamous rant at Southampton last Satutrday.
As for Tuchel, the German has been back living in Munich for the last few months, although he was considering returning to London if his reservations over the Spurs job were resolved.
But now he is gearing up for a huge top-of-the-table clash with his old club next weekend.
And Joao Cancelo, who is on loan at Bayern from Manchester City, has revealed his shock at the quick turnaround.
Speaking after Portugal’s win over Liechtenstein on Thursday evening, he said: “I had no idea! I’ve only found out now.
“I know I won’t find Nagelsmann when I return to Munich. I’d like to thank him. As for Tuchel, he made me lose a Champions League final, so I hope he will win it for me this year!”
In terms of Tottenham’s hunt for a new manager, Mauricio Pochettino remains the likeliest option although there are still numerous other names in the mix.
Spurs, with or without Conte, are back in action on Monday April 3 when they head to Everton.
READ MORE: Tottenham to replace fallen star with France starter to give next Spurs manager stunning upgrade
The article Tottenham snubbed as manager target agrees to take over from axed Nagelsmann at Bayern but twist soon emerges appeared first on Teamtalk.com.