UEFA Sent Utterly Heartless Text to Borussia Dortmund Following Tuesday's Terrifying Bomb Attack

Freddie Young
90Min

​UEFA sent Borussia Dortmund a heartless text after their team bus was hit by a bomb attack on Tuesday, reports ​the Mirror.

Dortmund were scheduled to play Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday evening, but the game was postponed after three explosions near their team bus left players and officials in shock, with Spanish defender Marc Bartra being admitted to hospital with a hand injury.

TOPSHOT-FBL-EUR-C1-DORTMUND-MONACO


UEFA insisted that it had consulted with both teams to re-schedule the tie for Wednesday, but BVB boss Thomas Tuchel said that: " We weren't asked at any point. We were told by text message that the decision had been made in Switzerland.  When they told us 'you're up tomorrow', we felt completely ignored.  They treated it as if a beer can had been thrown at the bus."


"We would have liked more time to take stock. This gives you the feeling of impotence, that we have to keep functioning and nothing else matters.  I encouraged everyone to take the game seriously but football is not the most important thing in the world.  Every player has the right to deal with it in his way."


Borussia Dortmund v AS Monaco - UEFA Champions League Quarter Final: First Leg

"The team did not feel in the mood, in which you must be for such a game.  We let the players choose if they wanted to play. But this morning, we found that the training had done good, that it had made us think of something else."


Tuchel's comments led to UEFA reiterating their previous statement, saying that:  "The decision to play the match [on Wednesday] at 18.45 was made late last night at BVB Stadium in cooperation and complete agreement with clubs and authorities.  We were in touch with all parties today and never received any information which suggested that any of the teams did not want to play."

FBL-EUR-C1-DORTMUND-MONACO

UEFA's competitions director, Giorgio Marchetti added: "The schedule of these clubs is completely full and the next round of the Champions League will take place in early May.  I guess that this was done in full conscience and knowledge of the situation and also knowing that a different option would be quite difficult."

Speaking on BT Sport, Rio Ferdinand added: " Being on a team bus, to have something like that happen, they should be afforded time.  An extra day or two, UEFA should have given them that."


Dortmund lost the tie 3-2, and face an uphill task to progress to the next round of the Champions League after Monaco bagged three away goals thanks to Kylian Mbappe (2) and an own goal from Sven Bender. Ousmane Dembele and Shinji Kagawa scored for Tuchel's side.

​​

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes