One of the sport's premiere stars and the only world champion with an undefeated record makes his octagon return on Saturday at UFC 242 when lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov battles interim lightweight titleholder Dustin Poirier from Yas Island, Abu Dhabi.
The last time Nurmagomedov (27-0) fought was a fourth-round submission victory over Conor McGregor at UFC 229. More people remember the aftermath than the stellar performance of the Dagestani star when he leaped over the cage and went after McGregor teammate Dillon Danis that incited a melee between the two fight camps. Nurmagomedov received a nine-month suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission and fined $500,000 (he later got it back). During his absence, the UFC created an interim title bout with Poirier and current featherweight titlist Max Holloway.
In a back-and-forth slugfest, Poirier beat Holloway by unanimous decision to capture his first UFC title. The career-defining performance ran Poirier's record to 9-1 with one no-contest since his return to lightweight in April 2015. Poirier has defeated Holloway and stopped former world champions Anthony Pettis, Eddie Alvarez, and Justin Gaethje to net a crack at the guy most pundits feel is unbeatable.
UFC 242 may be considered a one fight show, but that's all you need with Nurmagomedov's highly-awaited comeback against the toughest opponent in his stellar career.
Who will break through and emerge the undisputed lightweight champion?
When is UFC 242?
UFC 242 will take place Saturday, September 7. Pay-per-view coverage begins at 2 p.m. ET. Khabib Nurmagomedov and Dustin Poirier should enter the Octagon around 3:15 p.m.
How do I watch UFC 242?
The main card on pay-per-view can be purchased for $59.99. Every PPV can be seen exclusively through the end of 2025 on ESPN+.
Where is UFC 242?
UFC 242 will be held in Yas Island, Abu Dhabi.
UFC 240 betting odds
According to sportsbookreview.com (as of Sept. 6), Khabib Nurmagomedov is a -500 favorite, which means you'd need to bet $500 to win $100. Dustin Poirier is a +350 underdog, meaning if you were to bet $100, you would net $350.
Khabib Nurmagomedov record, bio
Name: Khabib Nurmagomedov
Born: September 20, 1988
Reach: 70 inches
Total fights: 27
Dustin Poirier record, bio
Name: Dustin Poirier
Born: January 19, 1989
Total fights: 31
Record: 25-5 with one no-contest
UFC 242 fight card
- Khabib Nurmagomedov (c) vs. Dustin Poirier (ic) in a Lightweight title unification fight
- Edson Barboza vs. Paul Felder; Lightweight
- Islam Makhachev vs. Davi Ramos; Lightweight
- Curtis Blaydes vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov; Heavyweight
- Mairbek Taisumov vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira; Lightweight
- Joanne Calderwood vs. Andrea Lee; Women's Flyweight
- Zubaira Tukhugov vs. Lerone Murphy; Featherweight
- Liana Jojua vs. Sarah Moras; Catchweight (138 lbs.)
- Ottman Azaitar vs. Teemu Packalén; Lightweight
- Belal Muhammad vs. Takashi Sato; Welterweight
- Nordine Taleb vs. Muslim Salikhov; Welterweight
- Omari Akhmedov vs. Zak Cummings; Middleweight
- Don Madge vs. Fares Ziam; Lightweight