United Rugby Championship: Glasgow Warriors secure 1872 Cup after victory over Edinburgh at Murrayfield

Glasgow Warriors after try Credit: Alamy
Glasgow Warriors after try Credit: Alamy

Glasgow have won the 1872 Cup after they beat Edinburgh 32-25 at Murrayfield on Friday, resulting in a 48-35 aggregate triumph for the Warriors.

Kyle Steyn, Matt Fagerson, Tom Jordan and George Horne’s tries were added to by two Jordan conversions and one from Horne, who also kicked two penalties.

For Edinburgh, Jamie Ritchie, Tom Cruse and Patrick Harrison went over as they could not overturn their first-leg deficit, as the Warriors won the coveted Cup.

Click here for teams and scorers

Glasgow – bidding to protect a six-point advantage from the first leg at Scotstoun – were up against it at the national stadium as they trailed their inter-city rivals 20-12 at the interval.

But they scored 20 unanswered points after the break on their way to claiming a bonus-point United Rugby Championship victory while also landing the 1872 Cup on its 150th anniversary staging by a resounding 13-point aggregate margin.

As was the case in the first leg a week previously Edinburgh winger Wes Goosen withdrew shortly before kick-off due to a calf issue, and his place was again taken by full-back Harry Paterson with Emiliano Boffelli switching to the wing.

Glasgow notched the first points of the evening in the fifth minute when captain Steyn received a pass from Sintu Manjezi on the left and showed quick feet to dart over the line. Jordan kicked the conversion.

Edinburgh levelled things up in the 10th minute when Scotland captain Ritchie pushed his way over between the posts following a sustained spell of pressure. Boffelli made no mistake with the conversion.

The Argentine goal-kicker – who this week finalised a two-year contract extension with Edinburgh – then edged the hosts in front five minutes later with a penalty from close range.

The men from Scotland’s capital stretched their lead on the night and got themselves ahead on aggregate in the 27th minute when Crosbie touched down following a strong lineout drive. Boffelli was again on target with his conversion from wide on the left.

Glasgow responded in the 35th minute when Fagerson forced his way over from a lineout. Jordan failed to add the extras as his kick drifted wide.

Boffelli kicked another penalty right on half-time to give Edinburgh a 20-12 lead on the night and edge them back in front in the battle for the trophy.

But Warriors scored a superb try in the 56th minute when Jordan darted free and raced in behind the posts after excellent work by Sione Vailanu and Sebastian Cancelliere to create the opening. Jordan duly popped his close-range conversion between the posts.

Things got worse for Edinburgh in the 67th minute when Marshall Sykes was shown a yellow card for foul play in front of the posts and Glasgow’s Horne capitalised by kicking a close-range penalty to put the visitors ahead on the evening and firmly in control of the 1872 Cup.

A minute later Horne raced clear to touch down behind the posts after Steyn and Jordan combined to set him free. The try-scorer then added the extras.

Horne put further daylight between the teams with a 74th-minute penalty before Harrison scored a consolation try for the hosts – which was enough to gain them a losing bonus point – right at the death.

READ MORE: URC: Johnny Sexton returns to lead Leinster against Connacht, Ireland wings back for Ulster

The article United Rugby Championship: Glasgow Warriors secure 1872 Cup after victory over Edinburgh at Murrayfield appeared first on Planetrugby.com.