Advertisement

Who Are the Victims of the Baltimore Bridge Collapse? What We Know So Far

“Our sense of loss cannot in any way compare to what their families are feeling," said Brawner Builders’ owner Jack Murphy

<p>Maynor Suazo/Facebook;Miguel Luna/Facebook</p> (From left) Miguel Luna; Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval

Maynor Suazo/Facebook;Miguel Luna/Facebook

(From left) Miguel Luna; Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval
  • Two fathers have been identified among the six victims of construction workers presumed dead as the search for their bodies continues

  • More than $43,000 has been raised to support the victims' families, according to a GoFundMe

  • Jesús Campos, who has worked for the construction company for about eight months, tells PEOPLE that his missing coworkers have been with the company for “a long time.”

A massive cargo ship named the Dali crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore early Tuesday, destroying the bridge and sending victims and vehicles into the water.

Six construction workers remain missing and are presumed dead, while two people were rescued in the aftermath of the collapse.

In a statement shared on Brawner Builders’ website, owner Jack Murphy said the crew “was doing bridge maintenance work on the surface of the bridge” when the crash and subsequent collapse occurred.

“Our company is in mourning over the loss of these fine people. But of course, our sense of loss cannot in any way compare to what their families are feeling," Murphy added.

Related: 6 Baltimore Bridge Collapse Victims Remembered as ‘Fine People’ by Construction Company

U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral Shannon N. Gilreath announced Tuesday that authorities believed the victims were dead "based on the length of time that we've gone on this search, the extensive search efforts that we've put into it, the water temperature."

Emphasizing that the U.S. Coast Guard is "not going away," Gilreath added, "We're just going to transition to a different phase." Col. Roland L. Butler Jr., Maryland State Police secretary, added that their mission has turned into a "recovery operation."

Kevin Cartwright, director of communications of the Baltimore City Fire Department, spoke with reporters Tuesday afternoon about the search and rescue operation. He said that officials will keep searching until "our work is done."

<p>JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock</p> The Francis Scott Key Bridge rests partially collapsed after a container ship ran into it in Baltimore, Maryland on March 26, 2024

JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

The Francis Scott Key Bridge rests partially collapsed after a container ship ran into it in Baltimore, Maryland on March 26, 2024

Related: 'Unbelievable' Baltimore Bridge Collapse Felt 'Like an Earthquake' — and Then 'It Got Real Quiet,' Residents Say

Maryland Governor Wes Moore said Wednesday morning that he met with the families of the construction workers, telling CBS Mornings anchor Tony Dokoupil that the state is "going to use every asset to bring them a sense of closure" as recovery efforts continue and as the NTSB investigates.

President Joe Biden has announced ship traffic has been suspended in the Port of Baltimore until further notice.

Miguel Luna, a father of three who is from El Salvador but has lived in Maryland for over 19 years, was identified as one of the victims by the non-profit organization CASA.

"Providing humanitarian support during this crisis is the priority, as families navigate this tragedy and seek answers about their missing loved ones," said CASA Executive Director Gustavo Torres via the organization's website.

"The entire Baltimore region and CASA family is lamenting this tragedy,” he added.

<p>JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock</p> Rescue personnel gather on the shore of the Patapsco River after a container ship ran into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland on March 26, 2024

JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

Rescue personnel gather on the shore of the Patapsco River after a container ship ran into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland on March 26, 2024

Related: Two Fathers Among Those Reported Missing After Baltimore Bridge Collapse 

Another victim was identified by CNN as Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, a father of two from Honduras. His brother told the outlet that his brother had been living in the U.S. for 18 years.

“Even if lifeless, we, the family members, need them to rescue the bodies at least to see them and have them handed over to my family," Suazo Sandoval's brother, Carlos Suazo Sandoval, told CNN in a subsequent report.

One missing construction worker was identified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Guatemala as a 26-year-old originally from Petén, while another was identified as a 35-year-old from Camotán, Chiquimula, according to CNN.

In a Spanish-language interview with PEOPLE, coworker Jesús Campos said he is acquaintances with the six individuals, describing them all as "good people."

The Washington Consulate of Mexico said via X (formerly known as Twitter) Tuesday night that the six workers included individuals from Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador.

Mexico's Foreign Affairs Secretary said in a statement, translated by NBC News, that the country is supporting the families of three Mexican nationals impacted by the Tuesday incident. One of them was rescued, and two others remain missing.

<p>JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock</p> Rescue personnel gather on the shore of the Patapsco River after a cargo ship ran into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland on March 26, 2024

JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

Rescue personnel gather on the shore of the Patapsco River after a cargo ship ran into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland on March 26, 2024

Related: Baltimore Bridge Collapse Survivor Described Watching Ship Get Closer, Says Maryland Gov.

More than $43,000 has been raised through a GoFundMe campaign for the Latino Racial Justice Circle, which aims to assist the families of the individuals who are presumed dead.

“We are truly blown away by the community's generosity,” organizer Katherine Jakuta wrote in an update on Wednesday.

Speaking with Telemundo 44 and translated by NBC affiliate WRC-TV, Campos said he's worked for the company for years — alongside some of the missing.

“It could’ve been me,” Campos said. “Around a month ago I was working on the bridge…we had been moved to the day shift and they went at night.”

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.