De Villota returns home to Spain


Maria de Villota has returned home to Spain to continue her recovery from her testing accident at Duxford just over a fortnight ago.

De Villota suffered severe head and facial injuries, including the loss of her right eye, when her Marussia came into contact with the tail section of a truck at the end of the shakedown run for what was set to be her debut straightline test with the team.

The Spaniard has been in Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge undergoing treatment since the incident on 3 July. She was flown back to Spain on Friday.

A Marussia team statement said being back in Spain was the best option for the next stage of de Villota's treatment.

"Over the course of the past two weeks, Maria has made significant progress," it said. "More comfortable and familiar surroundings, plus the support of her wider family and friends, will undoubtedly provide a more conducive environment in which Maria can commence the next phase of her recovery.

"The Marussia F1 team have remained in close contact with the medical team at Addenbrooke's Hospital since Maria's admittance and would like to express their gratitude for the remarkable care and attention that she has received there.

"The Marussia F1 team - the staff, race drivers Timo Glock and Charles Pic, and all those associated with the team - wish Maria well with the next stage of her recovery. The management team will continue to liaise closely with Maria and her family and provide any assistance possible during the coming months."

Marussia issued a statement on July 16 revealing that an internal investigation had ruled out a car problem as the cause of the accident.

At Hockenheim on Friday, team principal John Booth confirmed that the investigations related to the Health and Safety Executive is ongoing. He added that further checks carried after the British Grand Prix two weeks ago supported the conclusions of the team's internal report.

"We established that [the car was not the cause] but then revisited our findings straight after Silverstone and now we are confident that the car was not to blame in the slightest," said Booth.

"As for the wider investigation, that is ongoing and will be a very long process, as it has to be in England because it's taken very seriously there.

"It will be some time before we know the final outcome."

View comments (0)