Wakefield blitz fells Giants

PA Sport
Ben Cockayne scored Wakefield's first try

View photo

Ben Cockayne scored Wakefield's first try

Wakefield scored 29 unanswered points to beat Huddersfield 35-14 and ruin coach Paul Anderson's first match in charge of the Giants.

Anderson was fast-tracked into the role of head coach following the sacking of Nathan Brown but he was unable to halt a run of results that has seen the Giants win just one of their last nine matches.

Ben Cockayne, Dean Collis, Lee Smith, Richie Mathers, Tim Smith and Danny Kirmond crossed as Wakefield rallied from 14-6 down. Luke George grabbed two tries for the Giants with Eorl Crabtree also going over.

Anderson had rung the changes by handing the captaincy to Luke Robinson and recalling five players after the heavy Challenge Cup defeat by Warrington. The re-shuffle looked to have had the desired effect as Huddersfield established an eight-point lead six minutes into the second half but the Wildcats ran in four tries in the last 18 minutes.

It took a mistake for the home side to open the scoring, full-back Scott Grix seizing on a dropped pass by scrum-half Smith just inside his own half and the supporting George, one of six ex-Wakefield men in the Giants line-up, held off Cockayne in a sprint to the line.

Danny Brough's conversion attempt rebounded off an upright and the visitors drew level on 24 minutes when Cockayne raced onto Smith's grubber kick on the last tackle to score his 11th try of the season.

Paul Sykes' goal edged the Wildcats in front and they went close to extending their lead with a thrilling counter-attack. Full-back Richard Mathers released Peter Fox after collecting a kick behind his own line and the former England winger sprinted up to halfway before passing inside to Collis, who was stopped by Lee Gilmour.

Wakefield held onto their lead until the last minute of the first half before George over for his second try of the match and his 14th of the season. Brough again failed with the conversion but the Giants added a third try early in the second half through prop Crabtree.

Wakefield got back into the game when Smith's kick bounced awkwardly for the Giants defence and Collis was on hand to claim the touchdown. The Wildcats hit the front again on 62 minutes when Brough went to intercept a pass by Sykes and gave ex-Leeds centre Smith a clear run-in for his first try for the club.

Six minutes later the Giants failed to prevent a trademark offload from second-rower Ali Lauitiiti as Mathers went over for his side's fourth try and Sykes' third goal made it 22-14. The Giants were in freefall by then and Smith and Kirmond added further tries in the final 10 minutes, with Sykes taking his goal tally to five and adding a drop goal for good measure.

View comments (0)