Warner driven to banish doubts after MCG heroics

Getty Images

David Warner has the "hunger and determination" to deliver for Australia once again, acknowledging he was glad to put his own doubts to rest.

Heading into his 100th red-ball game for his country at the MCG on Monday, the batsman had not scored a half-century in his previous 10 innings in the format.

But a glorious 200 formed the bedrock of a crushing victory over South Africa in Melbourne and reaffirmed Warner's talent as one of the finest openers of his generation.

After a difficult year, the 36-year-old was relieved to remind himself he still had the potential to deliver.

"Was there doubts? Yeah, of course, there were doubts in my mind," he said. "But for me, it was about just going out there and knowing that I've still got that hunger and determination.

"I still know what energy I can bring to the team. I think once I start losing that spark and energy around training, I think that's when I probably know it's time [to quit]."

With a tour of India and an Ashes series against England to come, discussions had been rife before the South Africa series of Warner calling time on his Test career before he was dropped for good.

He is not entertaining any idea of quitting now however, adding: "I'm running faster than a lot of these youngsters in [the dressing room].

"So when they catch up to me then I might think about pulling the pin.

"But I think the extra motivation for me is winning in India and completely winning a series in England. I've been told by the coach and the selectors that they'd like me to be there."

Australia's victory at the MCG wrapped up their first Test series win over South Africa on home soil in 17 years.

The third and final Test takes place in Sydney next week.