Watch out for these common springtime plants that can be poisonous to pets
Spring is here and lots of species of colourful flowers will soon be coming into bloom - attracting bees and wasps but also household pets.
While most are completely harmless to our furry friends, some plants can have disastrous consequences if eaten or licked.
These are the plants to keep cats and dogs away from this spring.
1. Lily of the Valley
While beautiful and sure to bring colour to any greenhouse or garden, Lily of the Valley is extremely harmful to both animals and humans if eaten.
READ MORE: Warning issued after Chinese Mitten Crabs spotted in Norfolk
When dogs or cats ingest Lily of the Valley, severe symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures can be seen almost immediately.
Both types of crocus plants - the spring crocus and autumn crocus - are dangerous to pets.
All parts of the crocus are highly toxic and can cause severe symptoms including vomiting, bloody diarrhoea, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, respiratory failure, seizures and potentially even death.
You may see signs right away or they may take days to appear.
Severe poisoning from hyacinths is often seen when dogs dig up freshly planted bulbs or from a store-bought bag of them, which can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and oesophagus, causing drooling and vomiting.
READ MORE: Invasive plant species in Norfolk you should watch out for
Hyacinth bulbs also contain a toxin which can irritate dogs’ mouths and gastrointestinal tract, resulting in diarrhoea, with rare cases of serious heart problems and difficulty breathing.
Lilies, including Asiatic lilies and daylilies, can be toxic to both dogs and cats, however, the effects are much more severe in cats.
Asiatic Lily, Easter Lily, stargazer lily, and oriental lilies are all toxic to cats and even small amounts can cause severe injury to the kidneys.
Drinking the water containing a lily or grooming pollen off their fur may cause problems as well.
Hyacinths, much like tulips, belong to the Liliaceae family, and contain allergenic properties that are severely poisonous to pets.
Typical signs of ingestion include profuse drooling, vomiting, and diarrhoea, depending on the amount consumed.
READ MORE: Parrot's feather plant removal tips from Broads Authority
With large ingestions, more severe symptoms such as an increase in heart rate, changes in respiration, and difficulty breathing may be seen.
Other serious symptoms include intense vomiting occasionally with blood, depression and tremors.
The RSPCA's advice for keeping areas with potentially poisonous plants safe for pets is to keep them in areas out of reach and to collect dropped leaves or petals wherever seen.