Well bow out of Champions League

PA Sport
Panathinaikos eased past Motherwell

View photo

Panathinaikos eased past Motherwell

Motherwell's first foray into the Champions League ended in heartbreak after they were comprehensively beaten 3-0 by Panathinaikos at the Olympic Stadium in Athens in the third qualifying round.

Well headed into the second leg as firm underdogs looking to overturn a two-goal deficit against their Greek opponents although they survived an early onslaught to go in goalless at the interval.

Yet Lazaros Christodoulopoulos and Charalampos Mavrias, both of whom scored in the first leg, put the tie beyond any reasonable doubt after half-time before Ibrahim Sissoko sealed an emphatic victory.

The Scottish side acquitted themselves well last week but were left with a mountain to climb with Panathinaikos scoring a soft early goal and a late second on the counter-attack. Panathinaikos looked to consolidate their advantage in the early running and Motherwell could have found themselves two further goals down in the first five minutes.

Jose Toche's 25-yard strike forced goalkeeper Darren Randolph to parry away while the 29-year-old Spaniard should have done better moments later after going through on goal but he could only shoot wide of the right-hand post. It was a let-off for the visitors but there was little respite as the Greek side continued to control the tempo of the match.

Nicky Law nearly gave McCall's men a glimmer of hope against the run of play but his fierce effort from just outside the area was pushed away by Pana keeper Orestis Karnezis. It was a rare moment of attacking intent from the Steelmen, who started to force their way back into the contest.

But while they were seeing plenty of the ball, their opponents seemed content to sit on the back foot and Keith Lasley's optimistic long-range strike that sailed over the bar was their only other sniff at goal before half-time. Motherwell's luck was finally up as Christodoulopoulos put Panathinaikos ahead on the night and the tie seemingly beyond doubt.

There seemed to be little danger when Shaun Hutchinson fouled Sissoko 35 yards from goal but striker Christodoulopoulos, who also scored the opener at Fir Park, magnificently fired into the top corner and past a despairing Randolph in the 51st minute.

Panathinaikos continued to push forward and they had a claim for a penalty waved away despite the ball seemingly striking Cummins on the arm. The one-way traffic continued and Mavrias - scorer of Panathinaikos' second goal last week - extended their lead on the night in the 75th minute by dribbling past the defence and comfortably shooting past Randolph.

Motherwell's miserable night in the Greek capital was completed eight minutes later. After they were dispossessed deep in Panathinaikos' half, Kostas Katsouranis broke down the right for the hosts and his cross into the centre was slotted home by Sissoko.

View comments (4)