David Moyes has said West Ham plan to start negotiations with Michail Antonio over a new contract at the end of the season. Antonio has a year remaining on his deal and hte manager said West Ham, who are four points above the bottom three before hosting Burnley on Wednesday, must secure their Premier League survival before offering the forward an extension.
“We have to find out what league we’re going to be in,” West Ham’s manager said. “We’ve got a job to do. We’ve not taken our focus for one minute away from the next game. At the end of the season it’s something we’ll start to look at.”
Antonio earns about £70,000 a week and has impressed since joining West Ham from Nottingham Forest in 2015. The 30-year-old knows his next contract will be an important one because of his age, and West Ham will need to take his fitness record into account. Antonio was out for three months after hamstring surgery this season and struggled with injuries in 2017 and 2018.
However, his worth to the side is not in doubt. He has led the line in the absence of Sébastien Haller, who hopes to recover from a hip injury to face Burnley, and scored crucial goals in last week’s win over Chelsea and Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Newcastle.
“He’s got an awful lot to offer,” Moyes said. “He’s got pace and power. He’s someone who can fill several roles, partly because of his pace. But tempering that, when you’ve got that pace and power you can suffer injuries. This is probably his best spell of games and we are beginning to see more from Micky. He’s also at an age where he’s maturing a bit.”
West Ham are monitoring the Wigan left-back Antonee Robinson, who almost joined Milan in January. The 22-year-old has been linked with Leicester and West Bromwich.