Wimbledon bosses had initially said that this year’s event, returning after a hiatus in 2020, would be played in front of a minimum of 25% of capacity.
But in line with the easing of Covid lockdown restrictions, officials are now confident they can ramp up the number inside from next month’s start date.
The tournament starts the week after June 21 when Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he hopes for an end to restrictions around the coronavirus.
But an announcement on ticketing, with debentures and tickets through clubs also expected in addition to the 100,000 for general sale, is not expected until close to that date, meaning they are likely to go on sale at the last minute on a first-come, first-served basis.
In a statement, a spokesperson for Wimbledon said: “While the health and safety of all our guests remains our highest priority, further to the Stage 3 relaxation of restrictions and early positive indications from the Event Research Programme, we are confident that we will be able to increase our ticketing capacities for The Championships this year beyond the minimum 25% position we set out last month.
“This confidence is based in particular on the reintroduction of the rule of six indoors in restaurant settings from 17 May, and early indications that Stage 4 guidance could include similar relaxations of the guidance for sports stadia.
“However, we also understand that there remains much discussion amongst government and public health authorities on this topic in light of the Indian variant, and we are committed to remaining flexible in our approach so that we are able to react accordingly.
“For this reason, we are continuing to leave confirming our ticketing capacities until as late as possible, with all tickets to be made available via an online sale, which we anticipate commencing in mid-June.”