Wolves have reportedly been given the green light to sign ex-Chelsea star Diego Costa as his work permit appeal ‘has been accepted’.
Now, this is a transfer we can get behind. This sh*thouse was last seen in the Premier League as a Chelsea player in 2017.
The 33-year-old spent three seasons with the London club after initially joining them in 2014.
Costa had a great scoring record during his time at Stamford Bridge as he netted 59 goals in 120 appearances across all competitions.
He is the type of striker defenders either thrive playing against or they wilt under the pressure.
The striker played an important role for Chelsea as they won the Premier League and League Cup during his debut campaign in 2014/15.
His relationship with the club’s supporters soured somewhat during the following season though as his poor form led to Jose Mourinho leaving the club.
Costa also had a fallout with Antonio Conte during the Italian’s spell in charge and this coincided with him leaving Chelsea at the end of the 2016/17 campaign.
He returned to Atletico Madrid and was officially registered as their player in January 2018 following the conclusion of their transfer ban.
After a couple of seasons in Spain, Costa joined Atletico Mineiro last year but he is now out of contract.
Costa emerged as a target for Wolves after summer signing Sasa Kalajdzic suffered a serious knee injury.
Wolves paid around £16m to sign him from VfB Stuttgart and he picked up the injury in his debut against Southampton.
Explaining the injury, a medical spokesperson for the club stated: “Sasa felt a pain in his knee late in the first half against Southampton. Unfortunately, scans reveal an anterior cruciate injury and he will see a knee specialist (on Monday).
“We now need to support Sasa in his recovery and further updates will follow.”
Before the extent of Kalajdzic’s injury became apparent, the striker was praised by Wolves boss Bruno Lage. Given what we know now, his comments have aged woefully:
“One of my assistants said: ‘Now you understand the Premier League’ and he (Kalajdzic) said: ‘Let them come’.
“It was 45 minutes for him to adapt. I also follow the Bundesliga and that league also has the intensity and the aerial duels.
“He knows the Premier League is special because of that – every game he will be playing against top defenders.”
Costa initially had a work permit denied and this reportedly forced Wolves to consider Andy Carroll as a possible alternative.
No doubt to their relief, Fabrizio Romano has now revealed that Wolves’ appeal against the denied work permit has now been ‘accepted’.
Costa will now travel to England to discuss the ‘final details’ of his free transfer to Molineux.
Wolves intend to offer Costa a one-year deal and this is dependent on him passing medical tests.
The article Wolves given green light to sign ex-Chelsea maverick as work permit appeal ‘has been accepted’ appeared first on Football365.com.