With the definitive route expected to be announced in the coming weeks, AUTOSPORT understands the event will move from Cardiff for the first time since 2000, with a base close to Wrexham.
The route is expected to be quite different to the one the event has run in recent years.
"It's more than a good time for them to try to change something," Citroen team principal Yves Matton told AUTOSPORT.
"From what I saw last year in Cardiff, I don't think there is a lot of interest to go back there - there were not a lot of people there and one of the reason we do rallying is to have contact with the people.
"If we can be next to a big town and people are interested in the rally and know we are there, then I am happy.
"We need to have a rally in Britain, it's part of the [sport's] history and so many people are interested in the sport in Britain, but in the other way the rally needs to be at the right level."
M-Sport boss Malcolm Wilson praised the move north, but underlined the need for long-term stability.
"I think the organisers have finally taken on-board what we have been trying to get across," said Wilson.
"We are moving forward with them now and this is very good news.
"What they're talking about with the route for this year is a big step in the right direction, but it's got to be for the long-term and I keep harping on to them about this – they need to build a base for the future of the rally."
Rally GB organisers have launched a 'Road to Wales' promotional campaign in a push to rebuild spectator numbers. As part of this, M-Sport will field a WRC car at the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power on June 14-16, with Volkswagen and Citroen considering joining.
- Sports & Recreation