The six English sides involved in the European Super League announced on Tuesday night that they were withdrawing from the project.
The duo have made a formidable pairing in Ryder Cups over the years.
The Sharks, Stormers, Lions and Bulls had been due to join the 12 PRO14 teams in a six-round competition.
Agnelli admits Super League cannot go ahead after English clubs pull out
Only Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Juventus are yet to officially withdraw from the Super League
Follow all the latest developments as the Premier League’s ‘Big Six’ confirm their departure from the breakaway competition
European Super League founder and Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli has conceded that the breakaway league can no longer go ahead after the Premier League's six members withdrew on Tuesday night. Chelsea, Manchester City, Tottenham, Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United all reversed their decisions to take part in the controversial Super League after pressure from the rest of football, government and even royalty since it was announced on Sunday night. A statement from the Super League overnight said that they would "reconsider the most appropriate steps to reshape the project", but the Juventus chairman and one of the key driving forces behind the attempted breakaway has admitted that it cannot continue - though the Italian remains "convinced of the beauty", stating it would have been the best competition in the world.
The breakaway European Super League looks to be over after a dramatic sequence of withdrawals from all six Premier League clubs involved led founder Andrea Agnelli to admit that it could no longer happen. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham all signed up to the controversial plans over the weekend, only for each club to pull out on Tuesday night.
A staggering 72 hours for the game has seen clubs try to force a move to a new competition only to see fan backlash and outcry see it stutter and stumble towards collapse
Andrea Agnelli was one of the leading figures behind the breakaway competition
Liverpool have been hurt badly by the plan to break away with the relationship between ownership and the dressing room now ‘bruised’ and bridges to build
The former Manchester United defender is upset with the outgoing executive vice-chairman at Old Trafford over his role in the controversial breakaway competition
Britain will open their campaign against Chile on July 21.
Barber said those responsible for the proposals should be held to account.
Women’s football set for huge increase in viewing figures globally
The Reds announced on Tuesday night, along with the other five English clubs involved, that they were withdrawing from the European Super League.
Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish has branded the failed European Super League an "attempted coup" to try and steal football from its supporters and has called on the authorities to go further in response. The Premier League's ‘Big Six’ withdrew from the plans one by one on Tuesday night before trying to appease their supporters in statements and videos after the criticism and anger became too much. Aleksander Ceferin, the Uefa president, has praised the clubs for their withdrawals and welcomed them back into the European football fold.
Football proved remarkably adept at uniting against a common enemy in the Super League. The same energy must now be used for racism and the game’s other ills, writes Melissa Reddy
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said it was also right to look at how fans can have a stake in their clubs.
Welcome to our live coverage of the big news that the European Super League looks set to be scuppered after each member of the Premier League’s ‘Big Six’ withdrew on a dramatic night. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham have all started procedures to pull out of the controversial plans having only been announced as founder members on Sunday.