No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- SHARAPOVA 3-6 6-0 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Petkovic misfires on the first point behind her serve, but draws level with a stunning, angled volley inside the left sideline. Sharapova then fires a poor forehand approach wide into the sidelines, and she's dropped off the boil a bit, the Russian. A wild backhand into the tramlines brings Sharapova back up to 30-all, before the Russian brings up match point with another mid-court stunner! Petkovic hits two wild shots from deuce, and concedes the match
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 6-0 5-2 - BREAK! Where did that come from! Much, much better from Petkovic. The German goes 30-15 up on Sharapova's serve with some more gung-ho hitting from the baseline, but a forehand into the net lets Sharapova back level. Sharapova then starts to look a little hurried, and an error brings up a single break point for Petkovic! Sharapova knows she needs a big first serve to draw level... and she prompty double-faults to hand over the break
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 6-0 5-1 - PETKOVIC HOLDS! The crowd roars as Petkovic holds to 15, despite her serve seeming a little hampered by whatever is wrong with her right shoulder/chest. Sharapova fires a forehand long over the baseline to surrender the game, but she will now serve for a place in the final!
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 6-0 5-0 - Sharapova races through a comfortable hold to 15 in double-quick time, and that's 11 games on the bounce for the Russian now. What a turnaround this has been! Petkovic has won just five points in this set, and this is one of the best performances Sharapova has produced since she was world number one!
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 6-0 4-0 - BREAK! Petkovic double-faults at 15-all to let Sharapova back in front against serve. Sharapova then hammers another furious return inches inside the baseline to force a mistake from the German, bringing up two more break points! She can't convert the first - landing a speculative lob just long - but takes the second as Petkovic fires another wayward groundstroke wide of the right sideline. The serve and volley has just stopped working for Petkovic...
- - The trainer is out for Petkovic now, who is fighting back the tears as she clutches her right shoulder. It's hard to tell if the tears are from pain or frustration, but Sharapova just isn't letting her play at the moment
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 6-0 3-0 - Petkovic misses the sort of shot she'd've snapped up in the opening set - a high drive volley at the net - to go 30-0 down on Sharapova's serve. The Russian drops the next point, before sweeping the game out of Petkovic's grasp with another couple of thunderous serves
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 6-0 2-0 - BREAK! Ouch. The Sharapova steamroller continues, and she hits an absolutely sensational winner to wrap up another break of serve, and her eighth straight game without reply! There's nothing Petkovic can do about this at the moment, Sharapova looks simply unstoppable!
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 6-0 1-0 - Wow. Sharapova is playing at her absolute best at the moment, and Petkovic is on the back foot on every point as the Russian blasts her way to a seventh consecutive game! Sharapova hit 12 winners for 6 unforced errors in that second set, which is a pretty hand statistic!
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 6-0 - SET! Petkovic is barely hanging on here. The German has to scrap for every single point as she reaches 40-15, before Sharapova bites back with a stunning backhand return smack into the right baseline corner. Petkovic then hits long from a rally to bring up deuce, and another poor shot from the baseline hands Sharapova set point! The Russian nets it with a disappointing forehand, and a lengthy contest from deuce ensures, before Sharapova finally breaks through for the set!
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 5-0 - Sharapova knocks a running forehand long for 0-30 on serve, but a sloppy, long forehand from Petkovic lets her back into the game. A briliant return from Petkovic brings up two break points for the German, but an even better crosscourt backhand onto the left sideline saves the first for Sharapova. The Russian puts on a display of controlled power mid-court to take the next three points, and saves the game to go 5-0 up in the second set!
- SHARAPOVA 3-6 4-0 - BREAK! Sharapova's forehand is on fire as she blasts her way to deuce, and brings up another break point! Petkovic saves it with a huge forehand of her own, before taking advantage with a fizzing serve out wide. The German chooses a sorry time to land her third double-fault, however, and fails to convert game point. After a lengthy exchange from deuce, Sharapova brings up another break point, which she converts with a stunning crosscourt winner!
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 3-0 - An awkward double fault from Sharapova hands Petkovic an immediate break back point. The Russian saves it by drilling a cross court forehand into the corner of the court to do the damage before dispatching the mid-court forehand down the line for a comparatively easy winner. Sharapova dominates the final point at the net, and forces Petkovic back behind the right baseline corner before watching the German loop a backhand well wide of the tramlines on game point
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 2-0 - BREAK - Petkovic recovers from dropping the first point with a serve out wide before a rasping forehand winner across to the other side of the court. But the Sharapova refuses to panic and keeps the pressure on, forcing the German into a forehand error long followed by a double fault to concede two break points. And a blistering forehand return of serve across court that goes for a winner, accompanied by an almighty scream, and the Russian is a break up in this second set
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 1-0 - Sharapova goes 30-15 up with a forehand of old - rotating into a forehand at the net and slamming the ball clear into the left baseline corner. She continues to struggle for consistency, however, as Petkovic battles up to deuce and heaps the pressure on the Russian. Petkovic holds her head in her hands as she tries to lob Sharapova at the net and ends up lofting the ball out of play, before Sharapova seals the hold with another well-timed, vicious serve
- - SHARAPOVA 3-6 - SET! Petkovic reaches 40-15 and two set points, but fails to convert either as Sharapova starts hitting for fun on the serve. The Russian battles back to deuce, but Petkovic earns another break point with a brilliant first serve and volley. She converts it with a stunning crosscourt backhand right onto the left sideline, which leaves Sharapova flailing at thin air. Cracking turnaround from the German, who is half-way to the WTA Miami final!
- - SHARAPOVA 3-5 - Petkovic breaks a bruising baseline rally with a sloppy forehand into the net to start off the eighth game of the match, before pinging back a perfectly-timed return to draw level at 15-all. The German then goes ahead with an absolutely stunning forehand pass from the right baseline corner, but a shanked forehand return drags Sharapova back level. Another couple of huge serves out wide save the game for the Russian, but Petkovic will now serve for the first set!
- - SHARAPOVA 2-5 - Sharapova unsuccessfully challenges a long, looping backhand that is a good five inches into the tramlines for 30-15, before bringing up two break points with a poor return from a kicking second serve. Petkovic fails to convert the first, and Sharapova forces deuce with a stunning forehand that just clips the back of the baseline. A couple of slack shots from the Russian hand over the game from deuce, however, and give Petkovic a three-game lead in this first set!
- - SHARAPOVA 2-4 - BREAK! Petkovic gets an early point on Sharpova's serve, but miscalculates a forehand to the left sideline that goes a yard wide. Another poor serve lets Petkovic blast her way up to 15-30, and a limp backhand into the net from the Russian brings up two more break points! A 105mph serve to Petkovic's body saves the first break point, but Petkovic keeps Sharapova moving across the baseline on the next point and the Russian fires a backhand wide to concede a second break!
- - SHARAPOVA 2-3 - Petkovic finds some lovely width on her way to 40-15 on serve, before looping a ferocious forehand winner into the right baseline corner well out Sharapova's reach to wrap up the game! After a slightly nervy start, Petkovic is starting to tick over really nicely now
- - SHARAPOVA 2-2 - That's an important hold for Sharapova, after dropping two straight games. The Russian's quarter-final against Alexandra Dulgheru was the longest match of the tournament so far at three hours and 29 minutes, and it's taking Sharapova some time to get going here!
- - SHARAPOVA 1-2 - Petkovic shows Sharapova how to hold serve - firing some big, big serves into the corners of the service box to wrap up the game for 15. The German is also finding joy in the baseline rallies early one, with Sharapova looking a little bit nervous here
- - SHARAPOVA 1-1 - BREAK! Oof. The swirling wind is causing real problems for Sharapova early on. The Russian double-faults twice in a row to let Petkovic up to 15-30, before clawing back level with an ace. A third double-fault hands Petkovic a break-back point, but Sharapova saves it with another fantastic serve out wide. The wind continues to ruffle Sharapova from deuce, however, and a couple of shanked shots long over the baseline surrender the break!
- - SHARAPOVA 1-0 - BREAK! Sharapova reaches 30-15 on Petkovic's opening serve, but the German draws level with a lovely one-two approach and volley to each baseline corner. Sharapova yells her first 'come on' as Petkovic hands over a break point, and Sharapova snaps it up with a big return to seal a break on the very first game of this semi-final!
- - Another reason for Petkovic to be confident today (not that a lack of confidence has ever been one of the German's weak points!) is a look at her last meeting with Sharapova. They're level on head-to-heads, but Petkovic comprehensively dismantled Sharapova 6-2 6-3 in the fourth round of the this year's Australian Open!
- - That won't dampen Petkovic's enthusiasm today, however, as the German is on one heck of a roll in this tournament! She claimed the best result of her career against Wozniacki in the fourth round - becoming the first German to oust a world number one in over a decade - and followed it up with a gutsy come-from-behind victory over Jankovic in the quarters
- - Sharapova has the best winning percentage in WTA semi-finals (56.9%) out of the four remaining women in the tournament, and has a whopping 22 titles under her belt
- - World number 13 and twice former finalist Maria Sharapova is up against Andrea Petkovic - the livewire German who has already ousted world number one Caroline Wozniacki and sixth-seed Jelena Jankovic on her way to the semis!
|Date of Birth||09/09/1987|
|Date of Birth||19/04/1987|