|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 7-6 (7-2) - Surely that is that. Isner has the whole court to volley into and he inexplicably volleys into the net. Two good serves and Murray wins…job half done as Isner fails to pull off the drop shot…and completely done! Isner batters the return well wide. Murray through to the semis.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 6-6 (4-2) - Murray with first serve and he takes the first point. Isner responds with a big serve, but double faults in the following point to hand Murray the mini-break. Murray extends his advantage with the 1-2 out wide. A scintillating backhand crosscourt winner completes the minibreak…at the turnaround it's a single break. This is tense.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 6-6 - A big second serve into the body and a boomer of a forehand out wide is a brave way for Isner to move ahead. He takes the game when Murray slices his next return into the net. Tie Break Time
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 6-5 - Isner with a terrible forehand on the first point of this crucial game…Murray is not happy as a line judge incorrectly calls his shot out and the judge has to overall as Isner is struggling. Murray's footwork is all wrong and he will rue that missed point. Murray hits a passing shot he'd usually bury well wide. Nerves from the American as he hits an incredibly easy volley wide…Murray's two points from the match…
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 6-5 - A great second serve from Murray into the body for the point. Isner should really pass the Scot, but hits his attempt into the net. 40-15 and Murray hits a clean backhand winner down the line.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 5-5 - Isner fails to clear the net with a half-volley and it's 15-15. Murray badly slips, but Isner only just gets the volley in with the Scot on the floor. Murray replies with a stinging winner up the line. He can't draw to deuce though as he miss times a forehand return.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 5-4 - ...Isner nets in the next point and Murray can get himself out of trouble…but the American hits a big forehand down the line. Murray worryingly feels his back after serving, but he's fine after playing out a devastating rally which he wins when Isner comes to the net and gets passed with a brutal forehand.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 4-4 - An 89mph ace from Murray. He goes for that trusty drop shot, but it this time clips the top of the net. Incredible point there! Murray again plays the drop shot, but Isner gets there. They take it in turns to dink it over before Isner tries a lob. It's not brilliant, but Murray volleys wide. The American has two break points…an ace down the tee reduces the arrears. Murray saves the break - a serve only just lands in and he pulls off a brilliant volley for deuce...
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 4-4 - Isner replies, coming in behind his serve and playing a gentle volley low over the net that barely bounces, taking the game to 15.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 4-3 - Each player is cruising on serve and Murray continues the trend, winning to 15.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 3-3 - Murray looks incredibly frustrated as there is nothing he can do when the big American is serving this world. Isner is apparently carrying an inury to his ankle, but it doesn't look like it at the moment. One of many smashes hits the back wall and that's the game.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 3-2 - Another perfectly executed drop shot from Murray. His eleventh ace gives him the lead in this fourth set.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 2-2 - Murray starts to apply the pressure again. He goes 0-30 up as Isner fails to keep a volley within the lines. Isner responds with a 137mph serve. A 136mph ace out wide draws him level and a 115mph second serve into the body puts him up in the game. A serving masterclass. Murray lobs wide on the final point.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 2-1 - A brutal backhand down the line from Isner that leaves Murray off balance. Isner is just battering it off both wings now. A forehand winner up the line gives him a glimpse of the break. Murray responds with some solid hitting. An ace sliced out wide and an unreturnable serve keeps the Scot moving in this set.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 1-1 - What. A. Rally. Both players hustle at the net, dinking and slicing back and forth, but it is Isner that comes out on top. Isner lays the smackdown with a serve out wide and the fourth set is level.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 1-0 - A 79mph second serve isn't quick enough from Murray and Isner punishes it with a fierce forehand winner. The wrong choice of shot from the American as he tries the drop shot from a tough angle. Murray hits a backhand winner down the line and wraps the game up when Isner fires into the net.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-6 - SET! Isner is racing through his service game and he works to 40-0. Three set points, Murray saves one but the American's 13th ace of the game takes it.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 3-5 - The game's hit a bit of a lull and the crowd are a bit subdued. Murray takes the game to 15 with consummate ease.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 2-5 - There's no stopping Isner though as his ever improving first serve percentage is making each service game easier. He takes this game to love, the last point courtesy of a booming serve out wide.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 2-4 - Bad idea to come to the net when you put the approach into Murray's hitting zone. The Scot digs in and gets to 40-40 and eventually takes the game.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 1-4 - Isner plays the ball in behind the run of Murray and follows it with an ace out wide. The game works it's way to deuce, but Isner holds on to move further ahead.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 1-3 - A woeful backhand from Murray as his level completely drops. Isner batters a return winner down the line for 0-30. A couple of forehands only just go wide and the Scot gets right back into the game and goes on to take the game with a couple of unreturned serves.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 0-3 - Isner is playing unbelievably well now. He wins his service game to love and streaks into a sizeable lead.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 0-2 - BREAK! Isner slips, but does fantastically well to set up another break. And he gets the break as Murray hits long.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 0-1 - Murray's grunting on every shot now, but he's not struggling, unlike Isner by the looks of it, although he always looks like he's struggling. He challenges a call, but it's at least a foot long. Good play from Isner as he imposes himself at the net and he gets to deuce…and a break point as Murray hits into the net! Slammed shut by Murray who aggressively comes to the net and puts away with ease…
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 0-1 - Again Murray chases down everything, but to no avail as Isner slams down a smash. A very good shot from the American is repelled by Murray so so well and the Scot draws the error. A rare mistake on the return from Murray puts Isner up 40-15. At the second attempt he takes the game with a serve-volley.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-4 - SET! For once Isner outlasts Murray in a 19 shot rally. Unbelievable shot from Murray as he reaches an Isner piledriver with a passing winner. Another war of attrition is won by Murray, and the next as Isner nets a drop shot. Two set points…taken with ease as Isner hits wildly wide off his backhand.
- - MURRAY 7-5 5-4 - Good tennis from both players, Isner on the defensive, Murray defensive, but the American comes out on top with a good volley. A little more injection of power now from Isner on his forehand, but Murray won't let go. A second serve ace is challenged by Murray and the Scot judged it right. It's now deuce. Two big serves and Isner forces Murray to serve for the set.
- - MURRAY 7-5 5-3 - Isner gets to the drop shot, but doesn't know what to do with it. He ends up doing nothing with it. Murray again gets everything back and draws an error on the volley from Isner. Another unforced error as he slices wide and Murray moves to within a game of the second set.
- - MURRAY 7-5 4-3 - A vicious backhand slice from Isner, but he fails with the follow up. The American's trusty serve is keeping him in the games though and an ace puts him up. There will be only one winner if Isner tries to out think Murray and the error duly comes from the big man for 30-30. Isner wins the next on the challenge and an ace out wide and that's the game.
- - MURRAY 7-5 4-2 - A decent rally, but Murray is keeping the American too far behind the baseline and the big man eventually miss hits. Murray delicately volleys over the net to move up 30-15. An inside-out forehand winner follows from the Scot and he takes the game as Isner hits a big forehand into the net.
- - MURRAY 7-5 3-2 - Murray only just fails to get back a slice on the run. Good stretch from Isner in the next point following brilliant defensive play from the Scot. A booming serve keeps a relieved John Isner in this set.
- - MURRAY 7-5 3-1 - Murray cruises through yet another service game, finishing off that love game with a cross court drop shot that dies on the surface.
- - MURRAY 7-5 2-1 - Isner's a little lost out here playing against this brick wall of a player. Murray again passes the American with an angled forehand. There is nothing Isner can do! Murray gets back another first serve and passes with ease - this time off his backhand. Two break points…an ace saves one, and an even bigger ace the next. Advantage Isner as a series of smashes finally yields the point. An ace salvages the game.
- - MURRAY 7-5 2-0 - Everything's working for Murray. His first serves are well over 70%, and he hasn't droppend a point in this second set, until an Isner drop shot bounces back into the net. Slightly lucky that. No matter as another big serve puts him further ahead.
- - MURRAY 7-5 1-0 - BREAK! A stunning point from Murray, but Isner really should have put away an easy smash. Murray break to love with consummate ease as the American fails to even remotely live with his groundstrokes.
- - MURRAY 7-5 - SET! The Scot doesn't want to stutter here, but on the very first point he hits long. A couple of tired shots from Isner and Murray moves ahead…the world number four misjudges a high ball and lunges forward, but hits the ball into the net. A good serve later though and he has a single match point…Isner comes forward aggressively, but Murray's backhand gets going and he hits an unreturnable shot down the line.
- - MURRAY 6-5 - BREAK! Murray whips a forehand pass crosscourt, but fails to do the same on his backhand. Isner foolishly goes back to the Murray forehand and he simply passes him again. A double fault from the big man and Murray's first chances to break at a crucial moment…no mistake, or rather yes mistake, but by Isner who doesn't move his feet quick enough and loops a forehand well long.
- - MURRAY 5-5 - Three unreturned serves from the Scot and he takes the game to love when Isner hits just wide when going for a down the line winner.
- - MURRAY 4-5 - It looks likely that Murray will have to win this set on the tie break, and against one of the best tie break players in the world.
- - MURRAY 4-5 - A sneaky drop shot from the Scot and Isner doesn't even bother chase it down. He batters a winner from on high in the next rally and closes down the net well with the following ball. Some second serve and Isner follows it in to volley and take the game.
- - MURRAY 4-4 - Murray has a ludicrous ability to get the ball back, but Isner eventually forces the mistake with the Scot on the defensive. A big second serve down the tee and even the American's reach can't get there. Isner lumbers about the baseline doing well to stay in the next point, but not for long. A further error off his backhand side and Murray draws level.
- - MURRAY 3-4 - Murray should really do better at the net after doing brilliantly to get there in the first place, but he clips the net. A dropshot-lob combo so nearly comes off, but Murray again challenges and it was literally a millimetre out according to hawkeye. He booms down some huge groundstrokes to move 40-15 up and another ace and that's the game.
- - MURRAY 3-3 - Isner shanks, and I mean shanks, a ball miles out of the court. Not much better on the next point as his forehand goes about six feet long. The American is hitting very solidly, but Murray is getting everything back with interest. A challenge from Murray and he does get the ace for a game to love.
- - MURRAY 2-3 - Murray does well to knock the ball back in court, right on the baseline. Even so, Isner should put the smash away. An ace out wide draws the game level and a serve-smash combo puts him ahead. Last serve was 140mph, he's warming up. Murray hits his favourite shot down the line though and it's another deuce. The Scot so nearly pulls off a brilliant pass, but just wide. Isner with yet another deep volley and he takes the game.
- - MURRAY 2-2 - A very Scottish ace, but it's followed by a miss hit. Isner comes to the net early in the following rally, slices well and Murray only just fails to pass him. It doesn’t come off a second time though as Murray loops a ball high over the American who hasn't got the pace to get it back. A gentle drop shot from Murray takes the game.
- - MURRAY 1-2 - Murray can't slice the Isner serve back into play. The American misses an easy shot at the net trying to put too much on it. Another poor shot from John as a forehand clips the net. A nice drop shot with Murray way behind the baseline, followed with an ace and another and Isner takes it. High quality start from both players here.
- - MURRAY 1-1 - A further unforced error from the big man and Murray has advantage. He gets on the front foot and Isner eventually slices long.
- - MURRAY 0-1 - A point apiece as Isner returns the Murray first serve and draws the error. A double fault from the Scot early on. Isner belts the ball to Murray's backhand, but a wondrous passing shot on the stretch draws him level. Isner again hits like a Del Potro on steroids, he drops the ball short, Murray gets there, but the American just flips an easy volley up the line. Break point. The number four seed keeps the rally short and forces the error for deuce…
- - MURRAY 0-1 - It will be Isner to serve…the American serve-volleys, but Murray hits an unbelievable lob, Isner gets there, but Murray takes the point after an unforced error. Isner rallies and a couple of big serves draws him level to 30-30. A massive ace down the middle, but the following point Murray grinds out for deuce…a couple more serve-volleys and he takes the opening game.
- - MURRAY 0-0 - Murray won their last slam meeting in straight sets back at the Australian Open '10. Isner dwarves both Marray and the umpire as he flips the coin for serve.
- - Murray has his earphones. Apparently his favourite tune to gee himself up is 'Lets Get It Started' (that's the polite title) by the Black Eyed Peas. Music taste not as good as his tennis then.
- - They're out on court having some hitting practice. It's 12.20pm local time so a bit of a delay from the predicted start time of midday.
- - Murray: "He (Isner) has had an up and down season but he's dangerous, and I think he has improved his overall game."
- - World number four Murray, meanwhile, has everything to his game - apart from that elusive Grand Slam. Standing at 6'3" and with 18 career titles (sans Slam), his head-to-head with Isner reads played one, won one, at last year's Aussie Open (last 16). Interestingly that included a rare tie-break defeat for Isner. This season Muzzah has a record of 34-10.
- - World number 22 Isner is a giant of a man, a whopping 6'9" (that.s 2.06m, metric fans) and over 110kg heavy. As you'd expect he is a booming server, and is excellent on tie-breaks - he had a 34-18 record last season and has already won 33 tie-breaks in 2011. In terms of wins this season, he has 28-18 record of wins to losses. Men's rankings in full
- - Welcome to our LIVE coverage of Andy Murray's US Open quarter-final clash with John Isner. Murray is the clear favourite but the big-serving American has home advantage as a likely clash with Rafael Nadal is on the cards.
|Date of Birth||26/04/1985|
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|