|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - What a tournament is has been, and as the trophies are presented it is just left for me to thank you for joining us over a wonderful fortnight of tennis. Stick with us for all the reaction from Flushing Meadows. US Open final - best points
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 7-6 1-6 DJOKOVIC - GAME SET AND MATCH DJOKOVIC!! Djokovic earns a match point with a thumping backhand winner, then creams a glorious crosscourt forehand to win an epic contest! This is truly the year of Novak Djokovic!
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 7-6 1-5 DJOKOVIC - It's Nadal who has got nothing left in the tank, and he is worked mercilessly around the court. Two winners for 30-0 - two points... but Nadal responds with what can only be called a Djokovic-esque return! And Novak misses a simple putaway! 30-30...
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 7-6 1-5 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! - Right, this could be a massive game. Can Nadal keep it together? The early signs are not good as Djokovic exploits his opponent's reduced mobility to crash a winner for 0-30. Rafa nets for 0-40 - this could it it... IT IS!! Nadal hits it long. More great returning from the world number one, who has a double break!
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 7-6 1-4 DJOKOVIC - Now Nadal is starting to feel the strain. He appears to be feeling his right leg, and is not moving well now. Let's hope it's not more cramp. The standard of play, obviously, has tailed off, and with Nadal no longer scurrying around at the back of the court Djokovic holds to love.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 7-6 1-3 DJOKOVIC - This match is four hours old now. Nadal has to hold serve, and he does so with relative ease. No mammoth rallies, no absurd angles. I feel slightly cheated...
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 7-6 0-3 DJOKOVIC - The crowd are on their feet again as another great point sees Nadal sprinting all over the place, haring from front to back to lob, but Djokovic smashes a winner. And he holds to love! More treatment for Djokovic.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 7-6 0-2 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! Djokovic is moving OK, and a couple of loose shots by Nadal give the Serbian a 15-30 edge. And a thumping return gives Djokovic two break points! The first opportunity is hit long - 'Vamos!' says Nadal. Djokovic's string breaks at an inopportune moment and we're back to deuce. But he then hits a forehand winner at an absurd angle for another break point. We now have a fifth break point! AND THIS TIME HE CONVERTS!! Amazing match.
- - Djokovic is up, and we're back under way. How will he be moving after that break?
- - We've got videos of today's best points dropping in all the time. Watch them here!
- - Djokovic has been accused of milking injuries in the past, but he does look genuinely uncomfortable. And here comes the trainer. It's going to be a full medical timeout for Djokovic. Is this a tactic to buy a little time, or is it a genuine injury? Call me gullible, but I'm going for option two.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 7-6 0-1 DJOKOVIC - OK, let's compose ourselves. Fourth set. Djokovic to serve. He's not looking comfortable and we are quickly to 30-30. Djokovic is holding his back, but Nadal hits wide for 40-30. A rat-a-tat volley exchange at the net makes it deuce. The Spaniard then puts away a towering smash for a break point - but Djokovic somehow holds on despite his ailment, making an acrobatic volley!
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 7-6 DJOKOVIC - TIE-BREAK 7-3 - SET! Djokovic hits a service winner to stay in the breaker, and now Nadal has his chance to take this to a fourth set... but he nets, that's one mini-break saved. And Nadal wins another epic point including a staggering get from a Djokovic cross-court backhand. 6-3 Nadal. Some clown shouts 'Come on Federer!'. Not that funny. And Djokovic nets! It's going to four.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 6-6 DJOKOVIC - TIE-BREAK 5-1 - Djokovic looks to be tiring a little, and gives a little sigh as he drags a forehand wide. He returns deep and Nadal nets - the Spaniard challenges and it's OUT! Then Rafa hits a swashbuckling forehand on the line and is 5-1 up at the change of ends!
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 6-6 DJOKOVIC - BREAK BACK! Djokovic responds with a typically gritty point, forcing Nadal to hit wide. 30-30, two points away. Novak hits long and Nadal has a break point! Second serve... long baseline rally... WIDE FROM DJOKOVIC!! He challenges... OUT!! It's a tie-break!
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 5-6 DJOKOVIC - Error from Djokovic, who will have to do this the hard way. He levels it up with a service winner, and then OH. MY. GOD. That is the best point I have ever seen. Nadal wins it but it scarcely matters. A triumph for tennis, that one.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 5-6 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! He's got it!! Djokovic hits a backhand that hits the back of the line and he does some Andreas Moeller-style pouting. He will serve for the match!
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 5-5 DJOKOVIC Nadal plays a masterful point, coming to the net and putting away an improvised volley. Djokovic hits an amazing return for 15-30, and Nadal aces for 30-30. And we have yet another standing ovation as Djokovic comes to the net and volleys beautifully for 30-40. Chance. Massive chance.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 5-5 DJOKOVIC First blood Rafa as Djokovic hits long. Not quite hitting his shots. And here's a chance at 15-30 for Nadal who bashes a smash beyond his opponent. He hits his next attempted winner out, and Djokovic clubs his way to 40-30. And he holds when he really looked up against it.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 5-4 DJOKOVIC - Djokovic might just be trying too hard to hit winners now. He's looking just a little wayward. By this match's standards, that is a very easy hold, Nadal doing so to 15. The match is three hours old.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 4-4 DJOKOVIC - That previous rally was probably the pick of an amazing bunch today, and Djokovic raised his arms in quasi-Jesus fashion at the end of it. You can almost forgive him. We go to another deuce. Of course we do. This game now nudging nine minutes. Djokovic nails just his third first serve in 14 attempts and holds serve.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 4-3 DJOKOVIC - These guys might be playing the tennis of the gods, but they haven't got a challenge right between them today. Now it's Novak's turn to fail on a shot he hits a couple of inches long. The tide looks like it might be turning with Rafa on top in a marathon rally at 15-30, but he nets for 30-30. Nadal with another challenge, this time in mid-point... AND HE'S RIGHT!! Break point! Nadal hits half a dozen of the best defensive shots I have ever seen but loses the rally!
- - GALLERY: There are a load of great photos from this match on the website. Good news for Alec Baldwin fans.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 4-3 DJOKOVIC - There will be new balls after this game, and they certainly need a rest. Can anyone hold? Maybe? Nadal goes to 30-0, then Djokovic drops his racket attempting to catch it after bouncing it on the ground. Butterfingers. Just when it looks like Nadal will hold to love, Djokovic hits a return winner at an angle so acute Pythagoras himself would not believe his eyes. But Nadal crashes yet another winner and we have a hold of serve. New balls, please.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 3-3 DJOKOVIC - BREAK BACK! It's four breaks of serve in a row. Nadal thwacks an absolutely killer forehand and celebrates like he has won the tournament!
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 2-3 DJOKOVIC - The TV cameras pick out a gorgeous shot of the sun setting over Manthattan, but can Nadal spoil the visual metaphor? He fizzes a forehand winner and is arguably looking the better physically (if not mentally). It's 0-30, and a DOUBLE FAULT for 0-40!
- - Can you imagine if this match went to five sets? So many classic points, so many long rallies. It's ridiculous.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 2-3 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! Nadal nets on game point and gets sucked back into yet another deuce. The game is seven minutes old. Nadal saves a break point as a Djokovic floater drops long. The Serb then nails a perfect drop shot - no respite for Nadal. Amid some epic grunting, Nadal 'HYAAAAAHHH!!'s a backhand wide, and it's another break. This is otherworldly tennis.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 2-2 DJOKOVIC - Now Nadal has to hold - he makes a bad start, as Djokovic plays him like a violin. But he levels the game as Djokovic nets amid yelps from the crowd. But the Serbian hits two inch-perfect forehands to opposite corners to give even Nadal no chance - 15-30. He levels, then wins a 27-shot rally for another standing ovation. But Djokovic makes an exceptional get, and Nadal bets his volley. Sensational. Nadal is hitting with such power, he's swinging for the fences...
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 2-2 DJOKOVIC - BREAK BACK! Nadal destroys a forehand to cheers of orgasmic intensity from the Arthur Ashe Stadium…. And Djokovic plants a backhand volley weakly into the net! Game on again!
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 1-2 DJOKOVIC - Here's an opportunity for Nadal at 15-30, second serve - and Djokovic nets! Without wanting to get too Noel Edmonds about this, Nadal SIMPLY HAS TO DO IT NOW. Nole blatters his sixth ace down the middle, then bangs an incredible dipping forehand that plummets onto the back of the line! Deuce!
- - I don't know what you do if you're Rafa Nadal, but I suppose it can't hurt to remind yourself that you have broken Nadal in each of the first two sets. It's not over. Quite.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 1-2 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! Amazing rally! Djokovic comes forward but still dominates with an array of half-volleys, dinks and chips. Wonderful stuff. 15-15, then 30-30. Nadal really cannot afford to get broken here, but a forehand winner makes that outcome a real possibility… and there it is! A resigned forehand wide gives Djokovic a potentially decisive edge in the third set.
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 1-1 DJOKOVIC - Now it's Djokovic's turn to bang down a slow, curving ace, this time down the centre line. Perfect placement, but it's possibly testament to Nadal's fatigue that he didn't get closer to that.
- - One wit in the crowd cries out: "Come on Djokovic, let's make this a match!"
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 1-0 DJOKOVIC - It's a nifty response from Nadal, who holds serve in no-nonsense fashion. He finishes with his first ace of the game, a strange short, wide effort that arrowed wide of Djokovic's reach.
- - Here's Djokovic's crucial break early in the second set. It's a rally that's very much worth watching... VIDEO: Djokovic takes crucial break
- - NADAL 2-6 4-6 DJOKOVIC - SET! Another Nadal miscue when dominating a point at 15-15 gives Djokovic the initiative... he fails to take his chance in the next point and Djokovic gets lucky with a net cord. Djokovic hits a wondrous forehand to which Nadal has no answer, and the second set goes to Djokovic. It will take something truly incredible to stop him now...
- - The match is now two hours old, and we're still in the second set...
- - NADAL 2-6 4-5 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! Nadal loses yet another challenge and has run out for the second set, and falls 0-30 behind. He pulls one point back but misses and inside-out forehand and it's two break points. And Nadal cannot consolidate the break! He bunts a forehand wide and Djokovic will serve for the second set!
- - NADAL 2-6 4-4 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! Djokovic despatches a smash and now leads the winner count 21-12 - but he then smashes long and it's 30-all. Novak might be in charge but my goodness he's being kept honest here. The top seed responds with a textbook piece of baseline work, forcing Nadal this way and that before bashing a deep forehand past him. But Nadal whips a passing shot for advantage, then batters a backhand winner down the line and it's 4-all in the second set! The crowd lose their mind...
- - NADAL 2-6 3-4 DJOKOVIC - Oh good lord, this is ridiculous. The game goes beyond the eight-minute mark. And then more controversy as a shout permeates yet another rally. Nadal is livid, but he hangs on to his serve.
- - NADAL 2-6 2-4 DJOKOVIC - Nadal misses an easy volley at 30-0 and some wiseguy in the crowd starts shouting as the Spaniard prepares to serve... he wins the point. But Djokovic's huge ground strokes force an error from Rafa, then a gorgeous volley brings us to deuce. Another deep groundstroke to the feet gives the Serbian advantage. Rafa claws it back but we're set for another epic game...
- - Incidentally, we've got videos of the key points in today's match here: US Open key rallies
- - NADAL 2-6 2-4 DJOKOVIC - Nadal has lost his rag, and had another rant at the umpire during the change of ends. He needs to gather himself, but nets with a Roy of the Rovers spinning forehand (did Roy of the Rovers play tennis?) Djokovic then misses a simple volley to give his opponent a glimmer of hope, and then Nadal goes 15-30 ahead. Chance, but Novak hits a service winner, and regains control of the game - four in a row for the top seed.
- - NADAL 2-6 2-3 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! Oh, now Nadal is in trouble. He comes out on the wrong end of a couple of long rallies and falls 15-40 behind following a thumping return. And Nadal double-faults! This is going exactly the same way as the first set! Djokovic now in control of the second set.
- - NADAL 2-6 2-2 DJOKOVIC - Well, that was quick. A love service game for Djokovic in which umpire Ramos twice asked the crowd to button it when the players are ready to serve. For what it's worth, Novak is also taking longer than the permitted 20 seconds between points.
- - Nadal has had a chat with umpire Carlos Ramos. He is unhappy at being told to hurry up when the crowd are making so much noise between points...
- - NADAL 2-6 2-1 DJOKOVIC - BREAK BACK! Rafa wants more time as the crowd yell out... he looks like he is going to save yet another break point but he hits a weak smash that the Serb digs out, and Nadal dumps a second smash into the net!! Incredible game, and Djokovic has broken back!
- - NADAL 2-6 2-0 DJOKOVIC - Nadal is making his opponent run at every opportunity and Djokovic is breathing heavily. We move on to our sixth deuce of the game, Rafa saving a break point with a monstrous forehand. The Spaniard is now called for a time violation! He dumps his first serve into the net as the crowd get rowdy… but saves the fourth break point of the game. And he saves a fifth! That's 20 points in the game! Rafa double faults - losing another challenge as he does so.
- - NADAL 2-6 2-0 DJOKOVIC - WHAT A RALLY!! A spectacular exchange sees both men look beaten at points, but Nadal prevails - if he had lost that rally he would have faced three break points. Nadal, pouring with sweat, uses a challenge on a Djokovic forehand that catches the outside of the left-hand line - break point. Djokovic nets at the end of another punishing rally - this is taking a huge physical toll on these players.
- - NADAL 2-6 2-0 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! - A chance now for Nadal at 0-30, second serve - Djokovic hooks an off-balance forehand wide for THREE BREAK POINTS! An action replay for the first set? A mis-hit from Nadal drifts wide in the wind, then he drags a backhand wide… but a magnificent forehand down the line breathes life into this match! The Spaniard punches the air with delight!
- - NADAL 2-6 1-0 DJOKOVIC That's more like it from Nadal, who stops the rot. He's having to work for every point, with Djokovic getting to everything. He holds to 15 and that is a crucial, crucial game. The first-set stats were even it - Djokovic 12 winners, 9 errors. Nadal 8 winners, 11 errors.
- - NADAL 2-6 DJOKOVIC - SET! The world number one is in complete control now, playing positively and extending his winning streak to six games with the first love game of the match. That was a 53-minute first set, even though it was only eight games long. Nadal needs to find a response.
- - NADAL 2-5 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! Nadal goes for another challenges - and loses again with the ball falling a centimetres or two long, and it's 0-30. A well-executed Djokovic drop shot makes it 0-40! A service winner and a crisp volley make it 30-40, but Nadal nets and it's five games in a row for the Serbian!
- - NADAL 2-4 DJOKOVIC - The shadow has now covered the whole singles court and it looks like it will be a rare routine service hold until Djokovic nets a simple-looking volley. Nadal earns yet another deuce - nothing is easy for either player. Nadal hits a forehand off the frame and Djokovic wins his fourth straight game.
- - Blimey - this match is five games old and we have already been going half an hour!
- - NADAL 2-3 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! It's certainly attritional stuff, but not of the highest quality. At 15-30, a Djokovic groundstroke is called long but referee Carlos Ramos overrules. Nadal challenges but Ramos is proven right. Then a magical rally sees Novak make two incredible saves at the net before finally succumbing. Now Djokovic has a break point and works Rafa all over the court before putting away a forehand winner - great shot.
- - NADAL 2-2 DJOKOVIC - Well now, Djokovic's sixth unforced error of the match brings up 0-30, and he responds with an ace down the centre - the first of the match for either man. But Nadal prevails in another long baseline slog, again wrongfooting his opponent who thought the ball was dropping back. Two break points - but Djokovic is quickly back to deuce. Nadal drop-volleys for advantage, but is denied by another service winner. Another long game, but Djokovic holds.
- - NADAL 2-1 DJOKOVIC - BREAK BACK! And here comes Djokovic with some lusty hitting from the back of the court. He takes a 0-30 edge, before a Nadal shank gives the Serbian three break-back points. The first is saved with a service winner, then slaughters a forehand pass, but it's third time unlucky for Nadal who hits long and fails to consolidate his break.
- - NADAL 2-0 DJOKOVIC - BREAK! Nadal wrongfoots Djokovic with a forehand that clips the edge of both side and baselines, and that's 15-30. The pair then exchange errors for 30-40 and the first break point of the game. Nadal takes his time towelling down ahead of this one. And DJOKOVIC NETS! First blood to the number two seed!
- - NADAL 1-0 DJOKOVIC After failing to return the opening serve of the match, Djokovic gets on the board with a deep backhand that clips the baseline. Nadal then finishes a 19-shot rally with an emphatic smash - and he wins the game to 30 after another long rally, hitting a cross-court winner that dips on to the sideline.
21:15 - And we're ready to go!
21:15 - Underdog he might be, but Rafael Nadal can take encouragement from Sam Stosur's win in yesterday's women's final, says Mats Wilander.
21:10 - It's 27C here in New York and the sun is out. A glorious afternoon for tennis.
21:10 - Nadal has won the toss and chosen to serve - but first the knock-up.
21:05 - Out come the players to a tremendous ovation, though the stadium is not much more than half full. Djokovic, whose relationship with the New York crowd has not always been the best, is wearing an FDNY cap. Nice touch.
21:05 - Djokovic has won his last five meetings with Nadal, including the Wimbledon final. That's why the Serbian is 4/7 with the bookies - Nadal 11/8.
21:00 - Welcome to live coverage of the US Open men's final between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal! It's a warm Monday in New York and stands of the cavernous Arthur Ashe Stadium are filling up nicely.
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|