|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - For Murray that is 17 wins in a row as he bids to win his fourth ATP event on the trot. Next up the Scot has Andy Roddick. Tough! Paris Masters drawsheet.
- - MURRAY 6-2 6-4 GAME SET AND MATCH! Super return to kick things off for Chardy, then a backhand slice that Murray can only hand to the Frenchman to ping the winner way. This is a tight game now, 30-30 when Murray goes long. Needless challenge off a first serve clearly out but Murray wins the point anyway as Chardy makes an error from deep, a panicky shot miles out. Match point - taken on second serve, wide from Chardy when the smash was on.
- - MURRAY 6-2 5-4 Whooing from the home fans as Chardy moves 30-0 up but a sweet return cools them. Great serve from Chardy, and he holds with another. Murray has to serve out the match.
- - MURRAY 6-2 5-3 Chardy with a cute winner after Murray thought he'd dragged him about too much. Murray on serve is a ferocious proposition though and he zips 40-15 up. But Chardy pulls one back with a drop and a smash, Murray netting. And a wicked return off second serve and it's the first time Chardy has got to deuce off Murray's serve. Advantage Murray though but back to deuce after a wicked return from Chardy. Murray eventually holds as his serve draws a wild return.
- - MURRAY 6-2 4-3 30-30 as Chardy weakly responds to net following a neat Murray return; good serve-volley combo and Chardy edges closer to holding. Despite a good return Murray's next shot is long, which is poor as Chardy had laid up a nice angle for the crosscourt winner. Hold.
- - MURRAY 6-2 4-2 Murray drops two points on serve - a rarity today - but he holds with a mighty serve that Chardy has no response to.
- - MURRAY 6-2 3-2 BREAK! The second seed races 30-0 ahead against serve, but Chardy pulls one back with a serve-rush-volley. But some shocking serving, including a double fault at the end, sees Murray break the Frenchman.
- - MURRAY 6-2 2-2 Again Murray barely breaks a sweat or into a run as he holds easily. He knows that one break would probably do it as Chardy hasn't even come close on the Scot's serve.
- - MURRAY 6-2 1-2 After dropping the first point, Chardy moves quickly to the net as he levels, forced to work hard for every point as he edges ahead. Then a strong rally from Chardy, Murray always chasing, and eventually the Frenchman has a chance to smash it away which he takes with accuracy. Much better. Wide next though, 40-30, and on second serve he is bullied by Murray and nets a forehand. Deuce. Slow clapping from les fans... A patient rally and a strong first serve and he holds.
- - MURRAY 6-2 1-1 The second seed levels in no time at all, keen to continue to test his opponent on serve.
- - MURRAY 6-2 0-1 A lovely rally that Chardy wins with a delicate lob to the baseline that not even Murray can reach. An official review is demanded by Murray but his shot was out and it's 40-30, but deuce after Murray pounds away a return - it was out anyway, double. A roar from Chardy next as he brings up advantage with a smash from Murray's desperate lob. He holds, getting to the return nice and quick. Good start for Chardy.
- - MURRAY 6-2 SET! Absolutely rips through that service game, Chardy barely able to rearrange his alice band. The first set to the Scot.
- - MURRAY 5-2 Oooh just long from Murray as he slips into a big forehand. Then a poor forehand into the net as Chardy does well to keep everything in from the baseline. Another hold but Murray serving for the set, two breaks up.
- - MURRAY 5-1 When I say Muzza is the best service returner in the game, I mean at the moment (Nole is a close second IMO; his overall game is just so dominant). Agassi, obviously, is my favourite returner of all time. Crystal. Ahem. Muray zips 40-0 up, Chardy zombified by his serve. The Frenchman gets a point though as Muzza goes long. Hurrah! Allez! Next serve horribly long from Muzza but he bamboozles Chardy with a sickeningly soft drop shot that trickles down the net.
- - MURRAY 4-1 Chardy hits a tasty winner with his preferred forehand. He then puts in what normally would be a winning serve but Murray is the best service returner in the business and crushes a wicked shot across court: Chardy ends up netting. The Frenchman does hold though, with a lovely drive from the net and he clenches the fist after stopping the rot.
- - MURRAY 4-0 Murray responds to dropping a point with an ace. Fierce. And a vicious serve that spins up off Chardy's body. And another. Hold. Easy peasy.
- - MURRAY 3-0 BREAK! After taking a lead on serve Chardy is a touch slack and slips to 30-40, double fault. Murray almost wins it for back-to-back breaks but he spins his passing drive just wide. A yelp in frustration. But advantage Murray again for his fourth break point so far with a lovely approach shot that cons Chardy into the error. And the Frenchman flakes with a rotten backhand that skews at 180 to the intended direction, 2-0. Bof.
- - MURRAY 2-0 The Scot holds with ease. Could be a short one this.
- - MURRAY 1-0 BREAK! Great play by Murray off a killer return, toying with Chardy before easing him into a volley that can only go one way - wide. But Chardy brings in a strong serve, and another to get advantage. But a wonderful return followed by a super pass and Murray makes it deuce again. And then Murray breaks him with a savage return and double fault.
- - MURRAY 0-0 Early challenge from Chardy as Murray goes 30-15 up... good challenge, it was in. 15-15 as the call was made before Muzza could play. Chardy edges ahead with a serve-forehand combo, then brings it to the net off second serve, but Murray looks one way before passing it the other. Then Chardy goes long and it's break point already, but a wicked rally sees Chardy bring deuce with two great volleys. Super play by both men.
- - HEAD TO HEAD: Murray leads Chardy 3-0, unsurprisingly. The closest the Frenchman has got to Murray was when he took a set off him in Cincy last year.
- - Our next featured match is Andy Murray's second-round clash with Jeremy Chardy. Murray is ranked third in the world, while Chardy - a Frenchman - 110. Needless to say he is a locally-sourced wildcard.
|Date of Birth||12/02/1987|
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|