|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - NADAL: 6-2 GAME, SET AND MATCH NADAL! An imperious performance from Nadal as he wins a superb rally to emerge victorious after bringing up three match points. Some typically majestic tennis by Nadal to ease his way into the last eight. He will face Ivo Karlovic or Mikhail Youzhny in the quarter-finals.
- - NADAL: 5-2 Gremelmayr keeps the match alive by saving one match point. Full credit to the German player, who is refusing to let his energy levels subside. Has hit 21 winners in this match, but finds himself in a different class in this level of company. Nadal will serve for the match.
- - NADAL: 5-1 Nadal cruising through this set as another few crunching forehands carries him to the cusp of a place in the quarter-finals. An air of inevitablity about this match now as Gremelmayr serves to stay alive.
- - NADAL 4-1: Gremelmayr manages to stop the bleeding by holding for the first time in this set, but is surely heading for the exit door unless he can come up with a level of magic that can help him claw two breaks back. Unlikely as Nadal serves for a 5-1 lead.
- - NADAL: 4-0 Gremelmayr somehow unearths a break point in that game, but Nadal snuffs out the danger with a serve out wide that his opponent can only stab wide. Nadal continues to exude trademark flashes of power as he thumps over a winning smash to move to advantage for a 4-0 lead. Another decent serve sees Gremelmayr knock a return into the net. All going Nadal's way. 4-0 clear with two breaks. Surely destined for a spot in the last eight.
- - NADAL: 3-0 Gremelmayr in a spot of bother as Nadal comes to the net to draw level in the game at 30-30. A blistering ace from the German carries him 40-30 clear only for Nadal to catch the line with a winner seconds later. Gremelmayr looking down the barrel at deuce as Nadal bludgeons another couple of booming forehands to move to advantage for a double break point. Gremelmayr saves the day with a drop shot, but he is swimming against the tide as Nadal soon puts the set to bed for a 3-0 lead.
- - NADAL: 2-0 Tidy stuff from Nadal after earning the break in the opening game of the second set. Lovely volley at the net carries him 15-0 clear before the German player is long with an attempted lob seconds later. Just too much power and movement on the Nadal groundstrokes as he drops only one point in cementing the break for a 2-0 lead.
- - NADAL: 1-0 BREAK! Advantage and break point Nadal after he works the rally well, changing the pace and direction at will before paassing the German with a flick of the forehand. But deuce again with a lovely backhand on the move from Gremelmayr. But after a super rally of drops and lobs Gremelmayr fluffs the final drop wide and it's another break point... Taken but thanks to a poor error from the German after bossing the point, smashing long - yards long - with Nadal prone. Showboating - foolish
- - NADAL: 0-0 Nice sweeping forehand from Gremelmayr, and a decent backhand off Nadal's return to go 30-0 up. Rafa pulls one back with a solid return beyond the German, and levels with a similar effort. But two solid serves and Gremelmayr holds - no, the second was wide, a failed challenge too. Still 40-30... And deuce as Nadal forces the German on to the back foot, where he scuffs it into the net.
- - That was a decent first set from both men - big hits and deft touches, Nadal far too good for the German though.
- - NADAL: 6-2 SET! That was just delaying the inevitable as Nadal blitzes his way to three set points, Gremelmayr unable to give any response to his serves. Taken as Gremelmayr returns long.
- - NADAL: 5-2 Gremelmayr with a classy love hold, where did he pull that selection of serves and volleys from? Nadal forced to serve for the set.
- - NADAL: 5-1 The German takes the first point of Nadal but a big swooping forehand levels for the world no.2. Good battling game from Gremelmayr but Nadal holds to 30 in the end.
- - NADAL: 4-1 BREAK! Big return from Nadal and he has another break point. His fourth. He takes this one after a typical Nadal rally bullies Gremelmayr into submission, the German skewing it low into the net.
- - NADAL: 3-1 Some cracking tennis around deuce now as Gremelmayr pulls back another Nadal break point to deuce after a grinding rally that saw the German beat back everything Nadal put his way before sinking the winning shot. Nadal badly nets a backhand and now it's advantage Gremelmayr but he spurns it by netting a forehand. Both men making errors now as they flirt around deuce. A long game this....
- - NADAL: 3-1 Gremelmayr blows a 30-0 lead on serve and Nadal has break point. But a lovely touch from the German with a kneeling half-volley and Nadal nets to deuce. But an error from the German and break point no. 2 comes up... Good second serve, deuce. Nadal pings one just out when he saw it as a winner - he challenges, overruled. Advantage Gremelmayr but Nadal smashes one away after getting the better of a rally.
- - NADAL: 3-1 An easy hold for the big man as Gremelmayr fails to deal with the power of his serve.
- - NADAL: 2-1 BREAK! Lovely shot by Nadal to spank a topspin-heavy shot beyond the German and dipping in. Break point but not taken as Gremelmayr smashes a volley away after he made Nadal stumble. Deuce. Nadal does break in the end thanks to some hard work at the baseline and a poor slice into the net from the underdog.
- - FYI, as with Murray-Muller earlier, the scoring is not working due to a technical bug from our results providers; however we will keep you updated of the score with the numbers after the name on each comment. This appeared a complicated concept for some readers earlier...
- - NADAL: 1-1 Nadal drops a point but puts in some hefty shots to hold, the winning effort a thumping serve that the German returns long.
- - NADAL: 0-1 The Spaniard races 40-0 up with some easy returns but does not break to love as he pings one into the net following a brief baseline rally. A similar error cuts his lead to one point, and it's deuce now as a strong approach shot from Gremelmayr beats Nadal. Now advantage to the German with a good serve-volley combo, but Nadal pegs him back with a booming forehand. But a weak shot by Nadal is exploited and the German holds as Nadal returns long. Nadal losing three break points.
- - The pair complete their warm-up on court and take drinks before starting.
- - Nadal and Gremelmayr have played once before, in Barca in 2008, where Nadal beat him 6-1 6-0. The German is ranked 189 in the world and was briefly in the top 60 three years ago after getting to the second round of the Australian Open. He also made the third round in 2006. His biggest match to date was a semi-final defeat to then world number one Roger Federer in Estoril in 2008, which was almost his breakout year.
- - Hello and welcome to this second-round match in Doha between world number two Rafael Nadal and 30-year-old German Denis Gremelmayr.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||16/08/1981|