|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
|J Del Potro||4||3||2||-||-|
- - FEDERER 6-4 6-3 6-2 -GAME, SET & MATCH - Federer bring up two match points with a whipped forehand that Delpo doesn't even try to reach and then a supreme backhand - so typical of his play today - seals victory in straight sets! Excellent, almost scary performance from Federer, who moves into the semi-finals where he will play either Tomas Berdych or Rafa Nadal.
- - FEDERER 6-4 6-3 5-2 - BREAK - Delpo double faults but then aces to bring up game point. Very up and down from the 11th seed today. It's difficult when facing Federer in this mood though. He's making some sensational winners, another couple of which bring up break point here. Delpo nets and Roger's a service game away from the match and a place in the semi-finals.
- - FEDERER 6-4 6-3 4-2 - That break of serve remains elusive for Del Potro as Federer holds once again to move within two games of the match.
- - FEDERER 6-4 6-3 3-2 - Time for Delpo to get his serve going. The Argentine serves out to love and maybe he's still in this one. Yet he still needs to muster a break from somewhere.
- - FEDERER 6-4 6-3 3-1 - Roger aces to get things under way in this game and he races away to claim it to love. Delpo looks despondent. As well he might - Federer doesn't look like letting him back into this one from here.
- - FEDERER 6-4 6-3 2-1 - Delpo digs in to recover from 0-30 and hold serve for the first time this set. That would have been disastrous for him if he had dropped another service game then. The Argentine sucks in the air as he sits down at the changeover and he knows it's a long way back from here.
- - FEDERER 6-4 6-3 2-0 - Oh dear, this is a disappointment for Delpo as Federer serves out to love to take a two set and two game lead. Short of something spectacular, this one could be over in three.
- - FEDERER 6-4 6-3 1-0 - BREAK - Delpo pulls back from 0-30 with an ace but Roger brings up another break point with a superb backhand return... but he wastes it with a wayward forehand down the line. No matter, another one comes his way later on and this time he takes it with a sliced backhand that totally deceives Delpo, who get nowhere near it.
- - Victoria Azarenka: "Thankful for every moment out there! tough match,tough condition but the smile in the end all worth it! thx for the support and inspiration."
- - FEDERER 6-4 6-3 - SET - Delpo storms to a 30-0 lead to pile the pressure on Federer who aces but then inexplicably double faults to bring up two break points for Delpo. He saves the first one with a drive volley and then the second as Delpo hits the net. The Argentine also wastes the next two that come along, making him one from six tonight, before Federer finally holds to take the second set!
- - FEDERER 6-4 5-3 - Delpo hangs in there as he holds serve, ending with a forehand winner, but Roger will now serve for the second set and a two set lead.
- - FEDERER 6-4 5-2 - Roger wastes no time in securing a fifth game this set, booming down a 183kph ace to bring up game point before delivering another powerful serve to seal the game.
- - FEDERER 6-4 4-2 - Del Potro aces - it looks out - but Federer opts not to challenge. And the Argentine goes on to hold serve and stay within striking distance. Fed now serve to move within a game of the second set though.
- - FEDERER 6-4 4-1 - As shadow creeps across the court, giving the players some relief from the blistering sun, Roger's forced to save a break point. He then aces - his third of the day - before Delpo returns his serve into the net and Federer consolidates that break. The last time these two met was at the Cincy 1000 event last year, when Federer won 6-3 7-5 in the round of 32.
- - FEDERER 6-4 3-1 - BREAK - A wonderful backhand from Federer has the crowd in raptures before a double fault from Delpo brings up a break point. A booming serve saves it but a failed drop shot soon brings up another chance for Roger. This time he takes it with an inch-perfect backhand winner down the line! That makes Federer three from five break point opportunities today.
- - FEDERER 6-4 2-1 - Federer now serves out to love, finishing off the game with a wonderful overhead that Delpo cannot get to. He's got a point to prove here, after finishing last season without a Grand Slam title for the first time since 2002.
- - FEDERER 6-4 1-1 - Del Potro holds his first service game of the second set without too much fuss. There has been much talk of Delpo's return to prominence on the men's Tour, but he's yet to really make the step up to where many people think he could have been before injury. Victory here would go a long way to doing so though.
- - FEDERER 6-4 - SET - Federer, as he so often does, times his run to perfection, bringing up two set points before Del Potro rather gifts him the set with a double fault! Federer's hit 14 winners to Delpo's six, and made just five unforced errors to his opponent's 10 so far.
- - FEDERER 5-4 - Federer fires one of those special backhands of his to bring up game point before he reaches to get a Del Potro drop shot and somehow lob his huge opponent to clinch the game! He's still got it!
- - FEDERER 4-4 - Wow, great stuff from Del Potro, who has well and truly found his feet now after a stuttering start. He holds with ease to level at four games all. He's projected to return to the top 10 at number 10 having reached the quarter-finals here. If he wins today, he'll go as high as eight.
- - FEDERER 4-3 - BREAK - Delpo gets himself a break opportunity as Federer hits the net. He takes it after a lengthy rally which ends with Federer hitting one long! Back on serve in the first set, which not so long ago Fed was looking like running away with!
- - FEDERER 4-2 - Del Potro, who has never reached the semi-finals here in Melbourne before, holds serve again, winning the game with an unforced error from Federer. The six-foot-six Argentine has equalled his best Australian Open result by getting this far. He reached the quarters in 2009, when he was spanked 6-3 6-0 6-0 by... Roger Federer.
- - FEDERER 4-1 - Unlike Del Potro's last service game, this one's relatively comfortable for Federer. He serves out to 15 as he edges towards taking the first set. This, amazingly, is the Swiss master's 31st straight Grand Slam quarter-final.
- - FEDERER 3-1 - Better from Del Potro as he whips a forehand winner before he reaches low down to his left to dig out a volley that drops just the other side of the net. The Argentine then attempts a between-the-legs shot - the kind that Federer has mastered - but the Swiss pounces on it and wins the point. A dismissive Federer backhand later brings up break point but he finds the net, allowing Delpo back into it and he goes on to hold and claim his first game of the match.
- - FEDERER 3-0 - BREAK - Federer has started brilliantly against the former world number four. He holds to love to open up a three-game lead early in the first set. Don't forget, the winner of this match will go on to meet either Rafael Nadal or Tomas Berdych, who play tonight. Full men's draw
- - FEDERER 2-0 - BREAK - Federer opens up his body to rip a forehand winner past Delpo to take a 30-0 lead but the Argentine hits back with an ace. Fed then shanks one but he makes up for it on the next point with a delightful touch as he moves into the net. Delpo then smashes into the net and Federer registers the first break of the match!
- - Weather report: It's still boiling hot down on the court and both players will have to battle the conditions as well as their each other for victory today.
- - FEDERER 1-0 - Federer races to a 40-0 lead before sending down a wide serve that has Delpo stretching those long arms of his to no avail. Comfortable first hold for the world number three.
- - FEDERER 0-0 - Here we go then! Federer, in red shirt and white shorts today, to serve first. Delpo's in blue shirt and darker blue shorts.
- - Don't forget you can watch this match, along with every other quarter-final today, on the Eurosport Player. Subscribe here
- - These two have met each other nine times in a rivalry stretching back to 2007, with Federer holding a 7-2 lead.
- - Third seed Federer and number 11 seed Del Potro are two of four Grand Slam champions looking to book a place in the semi-finals. Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic are the other two.
- - Hello and welcome to our live coverage of Roger Federer's quarter-final clash with Juan Martin Del Potro at the Australian Open.
|Date of Birth||23/09/1988|
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|