No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-7 3-6 - Serena shakes her opponent's hand as the crowd rises to applaud this contest. Razzano is extremely emotional. She next plays Arantxa Rus after Jamie Hampton retired in their match.
- - WOWSERS! GAME, SET AND MATCH RAZZANO! The eighth match point ends favourably for the underdog as Serena's drive lands just out. Razzano dug it out into the net, but the umpire was down quickly to check the mark in the clay - and confirmed that it had landed long.
- - Razzano gifted another chance of claiming the match, but guess what? Williams sends a brilliant winner into the corner to wrongfoot her opponent!
- - The match is three hours old. Serena wins another break point but strikes into the net. This is an absolute classic.
- - Sixth match point for Razzano, and she goes for it up the line with a backhand.... marginally out! Arrrrrggggghhhhhh! The dramatic agony of this game!
- - The serve returned well out by Williams to set the crowd celebrating again. Can Razzano complete a massive upset now? No - Serena absolutely thunders a forehand into the corner to save it!
- - Match point number four as Williams clears the line with a stroke. And it goes begging with Razzano advancing as she again hits long!
- - Razzano really struggling out there, but winning odd points through sheer force of will. She hits just wide but gets back to advantage and match point up as Serena commits two errors... the crowd is humming... and she hits just long! Wasted again!
- - Scenes of unrest as Razzano is docked another point for crying out! That gives Serena break point... but she misses the chance! More drama as Razzano limps around but wins two match points, both thrown away - one with a double fault... great winner from Serena to win a third break point - and she fails to make use of it! Catch your breath...
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-7 3-5 - Serena on a roll! But still a game from being dumped out.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-7 2-5 - BREAK - And suddenly Williams rediscovers her cool to put her opponent under pressure. Razzano penalised for crying out as she hurt her leg, but also the beneficiary as the umpire leaves her chair again to check a mark in the clay. Serena takes the game though as the crowd boo unfairly.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-7 1-5 - Ah, cruel tennis: Williams, coming into the centre of the court, slips to lose a point. Not her fault that time. But she recovers before and after that incident to finally win a game.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-7 0-5 - One game from victory for Razzano, Williams serving to stay in the tournament.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-7 0-4 - DOUBLE BREAK - Hellfire - another break! Serena barely able to win a point since that moment in the tiebreak. For such a great sportswoman, she can be frail psychologically in adversity... yet a titan at other times.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-7 0-3 - It gets worse: whatever the American does, she cannot find her form. She volleys into the net, hits out, loses points in attack, loses points in defence.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-7 0-2 - BREAK - The crowd are loving this! Who would have thought that Razzano could challenge the mighty Serena, overwhelming favourite despite her fifth ranking?
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-7 0-1 - Williams looks well out of sorts. She is returning miles out and looks awkward.
- - Serena is crying on the chair. Razzano has nipped out for a break while the American dabs the tears from her eyes. She is up against her own form and the crowd...
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-7(5) - SET - Razzano digging in like a trooper and forces Williams into another shot into the net! Set to the Frenchwoman and into a decider after over two hours of play already...
- - (5-6) Well wide from Serena to give Razzano set point! Serena serving though.
- - (5-5) Serena trying to bash strokes right at her opponent, but finding the net with them! She's losing her head.
- - (5-4) Williams calls a Razzano shot out and when the umpire shows her that it landed well in, she acknowledges her mistake. The American then accepts an overrule from the umpire's chair on the next point... and a long stroke puts Razzano right back in it!
- - (5-2) The relatively less powerful serve has been a problem for Razzano, despite its accuracy - but here Serena returns well out to keep her in contention.
- - (4-1) Huge backhand from Williams to move 4-0 up before Razzano pulls one back.
- - (3-0) Williams 3-0 up after serving first. Looking good for her.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-6 - Tiebreak time as the Frenchwoman comes from behind to hold. The crowd chants her name.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 6-5 - Serena will again have the chance to break for the match. But Razzano has served brilliantly in this set, with 80 per cent of first serves landing in and just one double fault.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 5-5 - Razzano, ranked 111th, playing some great tennis to rise to the challenge posed by Williams. A return into the net at 40-30 takes it to another game.
- WILLIAMS 6-4 5-4 - A break now would give Serena a place in the second round. Razzano suffered a calf problem on landing in the middle of that game, but recovered to slam a winner down the line - she seems okay.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 4-4 - A battle and a half on deuce, eventually held by Razzano when Serena slams a forehand long.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 4-3 - This set is turning into a real battle of attrition, with an equal spread of points won.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 3-3 - Lovely drop shot to earn game point - and Razzano makes the most of it at the net. She is fighting for this match.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 3-2 - It takes a while, but Williams eventually manages to hold to retake the lead.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 2-2 - Still on serve in this one.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 2-1 - Fifth seed Williams will take some stopping now, even though the set remains on serve. However Razzano finds a stunning pass from deep in losing the game.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 1-1 - Razzano level in the set as she finally claims a game. Fatigue shouldn't be a factor for the women - Serena would be most vulnerable if it were - as the temperature drops to the low 20s.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 1-0 - Five games in a row now for the legendary American player.
- - WILLIAMS 6-4 - SET - A break to seal the set for Serena! She found a number of winners in the second half of that set.
- - WILLIAMS 5-4 - Three games in a row for Serena as she gets her act together.
- - WILLIAMS 4-4 - BREAK BACK - Williams throws away two break points but seals the break back from advantage up.
- - WILLIAMS 3-4 - The 2002 French champion, who has 13 major titles - her worst Slam is Roland Garros - back within a game.
- - WILLIAMS 2-4 - Razzano, currently without a full-time coach and who has never been beyond the fourth round of a Slam in 13 years, looking solid.
- - WILLIAMS 2-3 - Serena stops the rot with a hold, but her accuracy needs a lot of work.
- - WILLIAMS 1-3 - No break this time from Williams. Razzano has a poor first-serve percentage of 33, and only serves at 155kph - compared with Serena's average of 172 - but the American is committing many unforced errors.
- - WILLIAMS 1-2 - BREAK - The American manages to saves one break point but falls advantage down and cannot save this one.
- - WILLIAMS 1-1 - BREAK BACK - No messing about from Williams as she levels immediately. SIMON REED: SMART MONEY ON SERENA
- - WILLIAMS 0-1 - BREAK - That wasn't in the script... Serena gives up two break points with a double fault and her opponent takes the first of them.
- - Williams to serve first.
- - Andy Murray is LIVE on British Eurosport 2 right now, with Serena Williams's match against Virginie Razzano upcoming on British Eurosport. LIVE on British Eurosport and Eurosport HD
|Date of Birth||26/09/1981|
|Date of Birth||12/05/1983|