|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Well played Seppi, coming from a set down to beat the seeded Isner. The crowd go wild. Next for Seppi is the winner of the match between Stanislas Wawrinka and Janko Tipsarevic - which is up next, appropriately. Rome drawsheet
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 5-7 MATCH! Seppi is serving for the match. First we have a rally the Italian shades when he pings one wide of the now lumbering Isner; 30-15 as he finds the corner again, two points from the third round - the first is taken with some glorious volleys at the net after a pair of groundstrokes! Two match points! And Isner nets! Delirium in Rome!
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 5-6 BREAK Hello! Seppi moves two points up against serve with a cracking return, and then Isner lofting it long! Looks tired now, the big man. First serve is wide from Isner... and the second long! Three set points from a double fault!! First serve is wide! But the second seed Seppi go too early, netting low. Two break points now... but Isner kicks it wide of Seppi, 40-30... TAKEN as Isner can't deal with the return, spooning it high!
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 5-5 Crushing serve to kick off from Seppi. Then an awesome scoop and volley combi puts Seppi two points up. Good play at the net. But a wondrous dipping forehand after Seppi had killed the cornershot brings Isner back into it! Great tennis! He holds though, some more big serves from the Italian.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 5-4 Isner's easiest hold in some time, more like the first set as he whips out some powerful deliveries. And now Seppi serves to stay in the match.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 4-4 Seppi with a powerful serve and forehand from deep, now he is dictating the play to Isner. 40-0 now and he holds to love.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 4-3 A good start from Isner but Seppi pummels him back and they're on deuce. Advantage Isner though as an undercooked volley from a wicked stop-shot leaves Seppi stranded, the American pounding it crosscourt. Held as a serve-volley leads Seppi stumbling into a weak backhand.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 3-3 Seppi on serve now, taking the first point and the second as Isner weakly nets a backhand. Then a cool forehand wide right for 40-0. Hold to love, pleasing the crowd.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 3-2 - Isner halts play at 15-15 to receive treatment for a hand callus which has busted wide open. Wrapped up, Isner takes the first point as play resumes but Seppi returns twice for break point. Isner forces deuce but an overzealous forehand gives the Italian the first advantage, only for him to do the same. It takes Isner until deuce NINE, after surviving another six break points, to hold.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 2-2 - A fantastic volley in response to Isner's own caps a great rally and gives Seppi a double game point, and he forces the American into the net from service to take the first and hold to 15.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 2-1 - Isner's second double-fault of the match gives the Italian hope at 40-30, but the number nine seed holds from there on first serve.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 1-1 - Seppi matches Isner on the game-15, the American with a pair of unforced errors en route.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 1-0 - Loud cheers greet Seppi's only successful return of the final set opener. Otherwise, Isner comfortably holds to 15.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-7 - TB(5-7) SET SEPPI! The crowd erupts as Isner flicks a return long, and it's going to a third.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-6 - TB(5-6) Isner eats the first set point back as Seppi nets; then a poor 'out' call on Isner's serve is overruled, annoying Seppi as he had managed to return. It annoys Isner too as his next serve was out. Isner gets hold of the next rally though, coming to net and making Seppi run before burying a volley.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-6 - TB(3-6) Mini-break for Seppi! And he defends it to the joy of the fans. And a second mini-break, pumping it away from Isner and three set points!
- - ISNER 6-2 6-6 - TB(2-2) Even stevens so far as both men serve well, as they have done late in the second set.
- - ISNER 6-2 6-6 The American overcomes a shaky start to this game by powering into a 4-15 lead. And he holds to force his favourite thing - a tiebreak.
- - ISNER 6-2 5-6 Probably Seppi's quickest hold of the day, as he gets his serve well in order when it counts. Isner again serves to stay in the set.
- - ISNER 6-2 5-5 The crowd get excited as a Seppi return is too much for Isner, but he levels soon enough. But Isner skews a straightforward two-hander well off court and it's game on! And it's a break point now as he powers one past the Yank! The crowd goes wild! But a hammer serve and it's deuce. And he holds.
- - ISNER 6-2 4-5 Seppi uses his annoyance at that last point to fire in some harsh serves that put him 40-0 up, holding to love as Isner nets a return. Isner serving to stay in the set.
- - ISNER 6-2 4-4 Crisp serve-volley from Isner puts him 40-13 up - he can move from serve, that's for sure - and he should hold with a juicy first serve but Seppi gets it back then beats him with a wonderfully disguised forehand pass. Nice. Hold though as Seppi fluffs his lines, he and the fans think of the challenge but he walks away.
- - ISNER 6-2 3-3 Isner's turn to hold, can see this going to a TB (at which Isner is a king): Seppi seems to have worked out how to hold, making Isner move.
- - ISNER 6-2 2-3 Well they're having fun with it, flirting around duece as Seppi finally holds as Isner nets a return. Power v guile, power winning so far.
16:40 - ISNER 6-2 2-2 The American dominates on serve to shoot 40-0 up. And holds to love.
16:36 - ISNER 6-2 1-2 The American sits deep and hits it double handed but eventually Seppi finds new direction on the ball, putting it a few yards wide of Isner, but it's out! A risk and it didn't pay off - but Isner soon nets and back to deuce, losing the break point. Then Seppi nets and it's break point again! But he fights back to advantage, helped by the crowd, and holds as Isner goes long with a backhand
16:28 - ISNER 6-2 1-1 The second set is going with serve thus far, 30-30 now with Seppi serving.
16:17 - Ball change and re-setting the lines here, left a bit ragged from the day's play.
16:13 - ISNER 6-2 SET Well bravo to Seppi for this effort - Isner serving for the set has been pushed back to deuce by some superb returns and movement from the smaller man. But, after one big serve from big John, Seppi makes a boo-boo on a second-serve rally, weak into the net, and that is the first set.
16:06 - ISNER 5-2 Seppi holds again but Isner is serving for the set. I reckon a pair of aces at least....
16:03 - ISNER 5-1 Hello! Seppi manages to return, meaning he can leave Isner short with a cute drop over the net. And another crisp return, putting the Italian 30-0 up. Isner pulls one back, though Seppi thought his double-forehand was long. No challenge. Some controversy over a line call, the umpire getting down to check, and it's 40-30. Isner holds with a serve-pass combi.
16:00 - ISNER 4-1 It breathes! Seppi is more mobile than Isner, so dropping the serves in regions that force him inside is a good idea. He holds, finally.
15:56 - ISNER 4-0 Boom, boom, boom. Vicious serving from the man-mountain and he zips to a love hold with another ace,
15:53 - ISNER 3-0 BREAK Seppi is having a mare as, in addition to the Isner serve, Team America has one heck of a strong return. Break Pt Deux.
15:49 - ISNER 2-0 Break, hold; The Big American TM takes a nice early break to kick things off, and holds with ease using his massive serve to great effect.
15:38 - Big John Isner and Andreas Seppi are out hitting on Pietrangeli. Head to Head: 1-0 to the big man, at the 2010 Australian Open. A five setter mind!
|Date of Birth||26/04/1985|
|Date of Birth||21/02/1984|