|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Federer wins his third title in Madrid and a 20th Masters title. He overtakes Rafael Nadal in the world rankings. He is up to second spot in the standings.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 7-5 BERDYCH - GAME, SET AND MATCH FEDERER - Suddenly Federer injects some variety into the game with a couple of lovely points in bringing up three break and match points, but Berdych again responds superbly on his serve. Saves two aided by the well-placed big serve before Federer fails to see a ball clamber over the net on his backhand side. Another three break points saved. Federer scrambles well before Berdych hits the net with a backhand. All over.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 6-5 BERDYCH - Feder comes up with the goods on serve when he needs them most with an ace and big first serve to move 40-15 before a superb forehand across court on the run seals the deal. Federer 6-5 ahead in the final set.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 5-5 BERDYCH - A much more convincing service game from Berdych. A whole lot better from the big Czech player as the ball spins beyond Federer, who can only collect one point from the Berdych serve. Over to Federer as this match reaches the business end.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 5-4 BERDYCH - BREAK - Berdych off to a flying start by pocketing the first two points only for his opponent to win the next two aided by a flashing forehand. Berdych continues to pressurise the Federer backhand which the Swiss player bundles into the net to bring up a break point. An exceptional return of serve on a Federer second serve is enough to get the job done. We are back on serve in this match.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 5-3 BERDYCH - BREAK - Federer brings up three break points before Berdych throws down a booming ace to rescue the first break followed by his eighth ace to close to 30-40 behind. Another ace - his ninth of the match - rescues three break points. Stunning serving by the big Czech player only for a double fault to castrate his hopes. Another break point for Federer and Berdych then throws in a second double fault. Three aces and two double faults. Federer breaks.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 4-3 BERDYCH - Somehow Federer digs out a topspin winner from wide and behind the baseline, reminding us that he is perhaps the greatest player to pick up a racquet... and another lovely winner helps him to the hold. Still on serve.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 3-3 BERDYCH - Berdych's first serve percentage is some way above Federer's for the first time in this set. In the previous two it was some way below.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 3-2 BERDYCH - Once again Federer falls behind in a service game, and again he comes back to snatch it with Berdych not adjusting in time to get his last return in. This is the first Masters final this year to go to three sets. ATP calendar
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 2-2 BERDYCH - The players are tiring a little in the heat, but Berdych comes through. His final point is an easy volley with Federer floundering deep behind the baseline.
- FEDERER 3-6 7-5 2-1 BERDYCH - Federer keen to attack the net and it sees him hold, but not before he faces break points. A smash gives him advantage and Berdych hits long to end the game. The Swiss holding on here.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 1-1 BERDYCH - No threat from the Fed Express on Berdych's serve. This final set could go to the wire - whatever happens, it will be tense.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 1-0 BERDYCH - After a strong start which puts Berdych 0-30 up, Federer fights back to deuce then advantage up. He comes under fire from the Czech, a defensive shot looping out the back of the court, but survives the test on the two following points to take the lead.
- - FEDERER 3-6 7-5 BERDYCH - SET - Federer takes an early lead in the game which he does not relinquish as Berdych's serve lets him down. We go to a decider.
- - FEDERER 3-6 6-5 BERDYCH - Federer races out to the hold on this occasion. If he breaks, he takes it to a deciding set - if Berdych holds, they go to a tie-break.
- - FEDERER 3-6 5-5 BERDYCH - Federer fighting for a break but a mis-hit concludes the game in the favour of Berdych.
- - FEDERER 3-6 5-4 BERDYCH - BREAK - A great backhand return allows Berdych to snatch the opening point. The Swiss comes back to take set point at 40-30 and masterfully turns defence into attack on that point - but his final volley is too low as Berdych cracks back a brilliant defensive stroke. Long from Federer for advantage Berdych and break point - and the Czech somehow turns defence into attack himself before Federer ultimately slips short of the winner!
- - FEDERER 3-6 5-3 BERDYCH - Little problem for the Czech star on serve, only dropping one point when he sends a dipping forehand just wide.
- - FEDERER 3-6 5-2 BERDYCH - Federer within a game of the set now - and taking the match to a decider. My attention is now fully back on tennis...
- - This may be the only time I ever put a football comment into tennis coverage - but Manchester City have just scored two goals in injury time to win the Premier League title ahead of United. The world has just ended in Manchester.
- - FEDERER 3-6 4-2 BERDYCH - Berdych is pegged back to deuce, but manages to secure the hold and a valid interest in this set.
- - FEDERER 3-6 4-1 BERDYCH - Berdych comes short to send a forehand winner beyond his rival's racquet for deuce. It is a fleeting resistance though.
- - FEDERER 3-6 3-1 BERDYCH - And get back into gear he does, claiming a love game to hold. Federer unhappy as he believed that Berdych did not get back a drop shot before the second bounce - replays prove inconclusive, so what chance does an umpire have?
- - FEDERER 3-6 3-0 BERDYCH - Federer powerful on serve to move further ahead. Berdych needs to get back in gear if he is to challenge in this set.
- - FEDERER 3-6 2-0 BERDYCH - BREAK - Berdych's first serve suffers a breakdown and Federer attacks his second serve to break him for the first time in the match.
- - FEDERER 3-6 1-0 BERDYCH - Good start to the second set by Federer. He dropped two points, but his service was strong.
- - FEDERER 3-6 BERDYCH - SET - The opening set goes the way of Berdych, who has looked in great form in this tournament - and has outplayed Fed so far.
- - FEDERER 3-5 BERDYCH - Berdych gets a fortunate netcord but Federer is there to attack... somehow the Czech pulls out a pass from low down! Federer saves set point with an ace though and makes sure of the hold.
- - FEDERER 2-5 BERDYCH - Not in this game, though: Berdych's first-serve percentage is down at 50 but he has won 80% of his second-serve points. Federer's second serve points won is down at 40%., although he is at 67% for first serves in.
- - FEDERER 2-4 BERDYCH - Fairly rapid hold from the Swiss Master to close the gap again. He needs a break though.
- - FEDERER 1-4 BERDYCH - No problem for the Czech on serve though, extending his lead once more. Federer showing signs of threatening it - but not enough.
- - FEDERER 1-3 BERDYCH - Federer drops two point on serve, but an ace sets up game point at 40-30 and he makes sure of the hold on the next point.
- - FEDERER 0-3 BERDYCH - Berdych races out to the hold and a three-game advantage. Federer caught unawares at the start of this match.
- - FEDERER 0-2 BERDYCH - BREAK - Federer chops one into the net to give away a break point and Berdych takes advantage of it with a great return winner on the Swiss's second serve, which was a bit short.
- - FEDERER 0-1 BERDYCH - The Czech holds to start the match, although he has to come from 15-30 down. Federer's range deserted him late in the game.
- - Berdych to serve first.
- - The players are out on court ahead of this final battle. The fans are again waving in the stands in a hot Madrid.
- - Federer leads Berdych in the head-to-head 10-4; however Berdych has won three of their five matches since 2010. Federer won both of their clay court meetings in straight sets - in 2005 and 2006.
- - Should Federer win today, it will be his 20th Masters title - and equal the record set by Rafael Nadal, who fell victim to Fernando Verdasco on the blue clay this year. He wasn't happy about it. "Blue clay is only fit for smurfs"
- - World No.7 Berdych has not losing a set on his way to his first clay Masters final. He has beaten 12th seed Gael Monfils, 15th seed Fernando Verdasco and 10th seed Juan Martin del Potro.
- - World No.3 Federer returned to action after 44 days off with a nail-biting win over Milos Raonic, coming from a set down and saving all seven of the Canadian’s break points in the second and third sets. He then beat 14th seed Richard Gasquet, fifth seed David Ferrer and seventh seed Janko Tipsarevic - all in straight sets.
- - Roger Federer faces Tomas Berdych in the final of the Madrid Masters. Play is set to start around 3.30pm UK time.
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|