|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 5-7 - MATCH - Nadal claws back to 30-30 after two solid returns, but the umpire's double-check confirms a match point for Verdasco. Rafa aces his way to deuce, but cannot stop the world number 15 from powering his way to a historic win on the first advantage. Rafa's clay dominance is halted, and Verdasco has finally defeated the second seed!
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 5-6 - Verdasco will now look to break Rafa's serve for a quite remarkable victory. He holds his serve to 30 for his fourth game on the spin.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 5-5 - BREAK! - And what a break. Verdaco takes all four points against Rafa's serve to level up. He looked down and out but now as we approach the three hour mark in the match he could well be about to claim his first win over Rafa...
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 5-4 - And now Verdasco holds his serve to pull back to one. He's thriving on the momentum here. We could be set for a grandstand finish.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 5-3 - BREAK! - Nadal serves up the opening point, only to net a straight-forward smash which should have extended his advantage before Verdasco returns for 30-15. The 15th seed finds the net himself for 30-30, and from deuce Verdasco snatches one back. This may not be over just yet.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 5-2 - BREAK! - Nadal compensates for the previous game with an improvement in game seven as well as the third straight break. Though the number two seed's backhand nets once again, he puts the clinching forehand beyond Verdasco's reach and will serve for the match.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 4-2 - BREAK! - Nadal recovers from dropping the first two service points with an ace for 30-15, but when Verdasco does return he continues to falter and is broken to 15. Nadal's second really poor game of the match.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 4-1 - BREAK! - And now the wheels are coming off for Verdasco. Nadal catches him out time and time again to break his serve to love and the number two seed has one foot in the quarter-finals here.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 3-1 - Fantastic exchange puts Nadal 30-15 ahead as the net brings the two Spaniards close for a frantic quickfire rally. Verdasco is audible in his frustration as he falls a second point behind, and Nadal finishes the job to hold serve and extend his advantage.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 2-1 - BREAK! - Rafa begins to turn it up and despite Verdasco's quality showing in glimmers, he's overpowered on the return as Nadal breaks to 30.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 1-1 - Verdasco fights to deuce from 40-15, despite Nadal's valiant attempt to keep a well-angled backhand in play in the sixth point. Rafa re-takes control to hold his serve on the first advantage, however.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 0-1 - Verdasco starts promisingly, holding service to love, but isn't looking too pleased at the moment. It looks like he is after another change of balls despite the last switch coming just three games ago.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-3 - SET! - A fantastic forehand at full stretch from the 15th seed is the highlight of the ninth game, but stands as his only highlight. Nadal, 30-15 up from there, holds from there and the two are evenly matched heading into the deciding set.
- - NADAL 3-6 5-3 - BREAK! - Nadal's stubbornness and continual improvement on the back-hand cut off the Verdasco fight-back and leave him to serve for the second set.
- - NADAL 3-6 4-3 - BREAK! - Massive off-game for Rafa sees Verdasco earn a triple break point. Nadal's handling of a return for 40-0 in particular was wild. And though an out of the 15 seed's own pulls one point back, Verdasco claims the seventh from there and if he can hold his serve, will be back on level terms in the second set.
- - NADAL 3-6 4-2 - Verdasco serves well for a triple game point, only to break down with double faults and weak resistence to Nadal's forehand to bring the sixth game to deuce, before recovering to take the first advantage and pull one back.
- - NADAL 3-6 4-1 - Verdasco's body language as he slumps to a service game-15 doesn't look good. Almost as if he has conceded this set already. Nadal forces him out to wrap up the fifth of the second set.
- - NADAL 3-6 3-1 - BREAK! Nadal's first backhand winner of the contest puts him on his way to breaking his compatriot's serve and moving into a strong position as he seeks to force a deciding set.
- - NADAL 3-6 2-1 - A victorious rally from Nadal hands him the third of the second set, game-15.
- - NADAL 3-6 1-1 - Verdasco holds his first serve of the set, but does so after dropping the first two points. That may prove as important as the 5-2 game in the first set, as two quick games from Nadal without reply may well have put the Rafa juggernaut into overdrive.
- - NADAL 3-6 1-0 - A strong, perhaps trademark Nadal reaction sees him open up the second set with love service. The gaps between action remain lengthy here.
- - NADAL 3-6 - SET! Verdasco wraps up the first set in fitting style, holding to love and wrapping up the opener with an ace. Nothing less than what the 15th seed deserved, he has started off fluidly and with intent here. That was also Verdasco's first ever clay set over Nadal.
- - NADAL 3-5 - The second seed makes his first ace of the match so far for 30-15, moving on without reply from there to pull a game back. But Verdasco will nonetheless now serve for the first set.
- - NADAL 2-5 - After a five-minute delay at 30-30 due to a fan in attendance losing conciousness in the heat, the two Spaniards battle to deuce where Verdasco nails a sweet forehand to win an exhausting rally for the first advantage point, only for Nadal to defend well to negate it with another long rally. Two further prolonged battles see Nadal gain and squander his own advantage point, before Verdasco finally claims a thrilling and potentially vital seventh game to move on the verge of set one.
- - NADAL 2-4 - BREAK! - There are gaps of close to 40 seconds between points for the two Spaniards, explaining the slow progress so far in the first set. But Verdasco's superior ratio of forehand winners sees him break to 30, using a video replay for the clinching point when it was initially given as in from Nadal for deuce.
- - NADAL 2-3 - Despite dropping the first point of the fifth, Verdasco begins to stretch Nadal with some well-placed forehands for game-15 and the 15 seed moves back into the lead.
- - NADAL 2-2 - After going 30-0 down, Nadal finally claims his first service point as Verdasco fires out of bounds at the end of an energetic rally. It gives the second seed the inspiration he needs to kick on, forehanding his way to another three points in a row to level the set.
- - NADAL 1-2 - BREAK! - Nadal bounces back from dropping six points in a row, winning out a lengthy rally at the start of game three. After returning for 30-0, Nadal is then pulled back to level pegging as Verdasco's serve begins to solidify. For the second time in a row, the 15 seed's service heads to deuce, where Nadal's forehand replies prove too much for Verdasco and give Rafa his first game of the contest.
- - NADAL 0-2 - BREAK! - To say Verdasco is up for this one would be an understatement. Some fantastically assured returns see him break Nadal to love for a 2-0 lead in games. Great start for the underdog.
- - NADAL 0-1 - The world number two drops the first game on the contest, as his compatriot remains neck and neck up to deuce and survives a break advantage point before powering his way to hold on the next advantage.
- - We are underway between Nadal and Verdasco!
|Date of Birth||15/11/1983|
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|