No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Williams will meet either Paszek or Azarenka in the semis, which is due to go down on Thursday. Drawsheet
- - KVITOVA 3-6 5-7 - MATCH! - The hold to 30 is enough, and the reigning champion is out! An extremely enjoyable two-set battle is won out by the 2010 All-England Club victor Serena, as Kvitova was just unable to take her chances when form favoured the Czech.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 5-6 - BREAK! - After a much-improved second set without managing to find that edge over Williams, Kvitova has melted down at a crucial moment. From 30-15 up, unforced errors lead to a break point from which the champ completely shanks an open opportunity for a winner into the net. Serena will now serve for the match.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 5-5 - After dropping the opening point from a lengthy rally, Kvitova returns the next two. Serena thinks she has 30-30 from an ace, but it's out of line and parity waits until the next attempt. Kvitova's 20th winner of the match creates a set point, but a wicked first serve comes back into the net for deuce. With first advantage, Williams comes out on top of an electrifying exchange of point-blank volleys to hang on in the set.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 5-4 - Williams moves into an early advantage with a pair of returns forcing the Czech into the net, but Kvitova - likely sensing her title defence is all but on the line in this service game - finally puts some extra sting on her deliveries and stretches a complacent Serena enough to move within a break of forcing a decider.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 4-4 - Again the dynamic play of Kvitova in this set is restricted to her service, as Serena bullies her into tight positions and forces the errors to hold again to 15.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 4-3 - The champ goes all-out on forehand winners and is hit-and-miss, but claims enough of them to get into advantage from deuce, from which she forces Williams to go out with a desperate lob attempt.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 3-3 - Williams, perhaps sensing the form of the champ picking up slightly, matches her with ball in hand and one errant second serve is not enough to prevent a comfortable hold.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 3-2 - As Williams had looked more likely to find the breakthrough in the first set before she eventually did, it's now Kvitova appearing the more confident and determined as she holds to 15. Now can she get that all-important break while momentum is on her side, that is the question.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 2-2 - Kvitova is looking up for this set after dropping the first, but she is unable to find the edge in search of a break in the fourth as Serena does enough to hold to 30.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 2-1 - Though the Czech is pegged back to deuce from a double-hold point thanks in part to a double fault, some fantastic play in a rally is capped by a majestic and unstoppable forehand to claim advantage one.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 1-1 - Outside of a sweet forehand return early on and an errant Williams effort on the first of two hold points, Kvitova succumbs again to the power coming at her from Serena's serve.
- - KVITOVA 3-6 1-0 - The incumbent begins the second set with intent and though Williams' returns are strong enough to keep clawing back every time the Czech looks to pull away, a graceful winner outside of Serena clinches the hold to 30.
- KVITOVA 3-6 - SET! - A good early start from Kvitova makes you wonder if she can break back here and continue a decent fight-back. But Williams soon re-gains control with those powerful serves and the hold puts her on her way with the first set.
- - KVITOVA 3-5 - Kvitova's forehands become remarkably loose after she replies out to end a 14-stroke rally, but it's Williams with her own sloppy return to miss out on a set point. Kvitova stays in the opener for now with an ace to seal the second advantage point.
- - KVITOVA 2-5 - Williams is just on a different level at the moment, wrong-footing and drop-shotting the reigning champion at will and putting herself in a strong position to wrap up the first set.
- - KVITOVA 2-4 - BREAK! - And there it is. Triple break point for Serena in methodical fashion and though the Czech saves the first, she heads wildly out for the second and it's Williams with the edge.
- - KVITOVA 2-3 - Powerful, powerful stuff from Serena gets hold number five in the opening set with little resistance from the title-holder. It's Kvitova moreso than Williams who is likely to be broken first here: Serena is in the zone.
- - KVITOVA 2-2 - The Czech improves from an uncertain start to game four and eventually holds to 30. All other action at Wimbledon has been held back by the rain while the Centre Court roof protects the two WTA big hitters.
- - KVITOVA 1-2 - The margins of the service games continue to get larger, as despite a challenge, the ruling shows the ball was in on the final point to complete the first hold to love of the match for Williams.
- - KVITOVA 1-1 - Fantastic backhand winner from the champ en route to her own solid start to service, holding to 15.
- KVITOVA 0-1 - Serena holds to 30 to get the last eight battle underway.
- - The pick of the female last-eight contests today, champion Kvitova and 2010 winner Serena Williams, is now up and running on centre court.
|Date of Birth||26/09/1981|
|Date of Birth||08/03/1990|