|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So Federer survives and books his place in the fourth round with a five-set epic against Benneteau. That sets up a clash against Xavier Malisse on Monday. Full men's drawsheet
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-3 7-6(6) 6-1 - GAME, SET & MATCH - Federer wraps things up with a hold to love with an off-forehand across court that Benneteau can only return in to the net!
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-3 7-6(6) 5-1 - BREAK - Another quick massage later and Benneteau can still not hold on to his serve as Federer works him around the court and fires a forehand winner to secure the double break and also leave him serving for the match
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-3 7-6(6) 4-1 - Federer races through a service hold to consolidate the break and Benneteau looks exhausted now
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-3 7-6(6) 3-1 - BREAK - Benneteau has the trainer out on court during the change of ends for what Barry Davies describes as "total upper leg massage" before coming out and dropping his serve when Federer moves him around the court with ease
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-3 7-6(6) 2-1 - Federer holds to 30 despite a double fault and a forehand into the net. He sneaks ahead again in this fifth set
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-3 7-6(6) 1-1 - There are some worried looks around as Benneteau seems to be having trouble with his knee and calls for the trainer for the next change of ends. He holds on from 30-30 though with an ace and then a forehand winner before doing a bit of stretching and bouncing around, just to let Federer know he's not done just yet
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 7-6(6) 1-0 - Federer needs two attempts to put away a smash winner but does manage it at the second attempt and holds to open the fifth set
- - Commentators telling us that Benneteau has won his last four five-set matches. Yes, but Roger Federer was not on the other side of the net on any of those occasions so it doesn't really count on today's clash!
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 7-6(6) - SET - It's two sets all! The crowd thinks Federer has sealed the set with an ace but the ball was clearly wide and he has to go again. But he does get it behind his second serve as Benneteau sends a forehand into the net. This is going to a decisive fifth set
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 6-6 (7-6) TIE-BREAK - The set point is on Benneteau's serve though and the French does enough with his approach shot to force the error from Fed and level up for a second change of ends. He promptly hits long off the backhand wing though and it is a second set point to Fed, this time on his own serve ...
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 6-6(6-5) TIE-BREAK - Federer wastes a golden opportunity to earn himself two set points when he sends a backhand volley wide across court. He challenges unsuccessfully but goes on to earn himself a next point with a solid serve on the next point ...
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 6-6(3-3) - TIE-BREAK - Federer gets the first mini-break as he works his way up to the net to find a forehand volley winner before being pegged back by a great backhand passing shot from Benneteau that just has enough on it to stop Fed from getting it back over the net. Nothing to separate these two at the change of ends
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 6-6 - Benneteau finds himself just two points from victory as he first produces a forehand winner to go 15-30 up and then stops to (successfully) challenge a call on the baseline and level at deuce. But Federer is firm on both points and holds to force the tie-break. Benneteau has already won one in this match, can he win another and win the match?
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 5-6 - Benneteau does hold without any trouble to force at the very least the tie-break. Federer will need to serve to stay in the match for a second time after the change of ends
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 5-5 - Federer holds to love to level up once again and put pressure on the Benneteau serve. Can the Frenchman hold again and at least force the tie-break in this fourth set?
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 4-5 - Benneteau races through a service hold that leaves him potentially just one game away from the win. Federer will have to serve to stay in this match after the change of ends
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 4-4 - Benneteau denies Federer a love service hold by riffling a backhand return of serve winner down the line but the world number three goes on to hold to level up once again
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 3-4 - A much more comfortable service hold this time around for Benneteau as he cruises through to 15 with a forehand drop shot winner, a forehand ground-stroke winner and an ace down the centre of the court
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 3-3 - Benneteau produces a blistering cross court forehand return of serve to put some pressure on the Fed serve at 30-15. But Federer has been slowly but surely raised his game and goes on to hold (after the Frenchman has nearly taken out the umpire with a forehand return) and level up once again
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 2-3 - Benneteau looks to be down and out as he finds himself on the wrong end of three break points. But he saves all three of them before going on to hold with a great first serve that Federer can only return wide off the backhand wing
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 2-2 - Federer also races through a service hold to 15 with a solid serve that Benneteau can only return into the net
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 1-2 - Benneteau is looking a little tired now but he rattles a cross court forehand winner right onto the sideline on his way to a hold to 15 to sneak out in front again in this fourth set
- - FEDERER 4-6 7-6(3) 6-2 1-1 - Federer also holds without too much trouble, an inch-perfect drop shot proving too much for Benneteau as he fails to get up for it in time
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 0-1 - Benneteau gets the fourth set off to a much more successful start as he holds to 30 with a solid serve that Fed can only return into the bottom of the net. That was an important hold for the Frenchman, who probably needs to wrap it up this set. That said, everyone thought that about Rosol against Nadal last night too but he managed to more than hold on for the fifth
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 6-2 - SET - Federer gets one of the sets back as Benneteau sends a series of returns long to help the world number three hold to love. Can Benneteau recover some composure or will Federer romp through the remaining two sets now. You have to feel that the longer this match goes on, the more it will favour Federer
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 5-2 - Great work from the Frenchman as he holds to force Federer to serve it out and it will at least mean Benneteau serves first in the fourth set
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 5-1 - Federer holds again without too much trouble to leave Benneteau serving to stay in this third set
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 4-1 - Much better from Benneteau behind his serve as he holds to 15 with a serve Federer is unable to return in play. The Frenchman has at least avoided the ignominy of a bagel set
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 4-0 - Federer holds to 30 when a forehand goes long from Benneteau. This set is surely gone for the Frenchman now. He needs to conserve his energy for the fourth because if Federer pushes it to a fifth, you would have to back him to come out on top
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 3-0 - BREAK - Ouch! Federer is really beginning to pull away with this set now as he breaks for a second successive time to open, Benneteau sending a slightly tired-looking forehand into the net
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 2-0 - Just like the second set, Federer easily holds to consolidate the early break in this third set. He went 2-0 up in the second though before Benneteau bounced back to level
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) 1-0 - BREAK - Fed grabs the first game of this third set when Benneteau sends a forehand into the net after failing to recover from his service motion in time to deal with Fed's return. Could that be the start of a comeback?
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-7(3) - SET - Fed saves the first when Benneteau sends a forehand into the net but the Frenchman does take a two sets to love lead with a forehand down the line that Fed can only return into the net
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-6(2-5) - TIE-BREAK - Another ace from Benneteau, once again challenged by Fed unsuccessfully, followed by a forehand winner brings up four set points
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-6(2-3) - TIE-BREAK - Benneteau races through the opening three points to grab the mini-break with a couple of forehand winners and an ace. Federer bounces back with a couple of points behind his own serve but Benneteau retains the mini-break lead at the change of ends with a serve that Fed can only return long
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-6 - Benneteau squanders a first game point with a forehand wide down the line and a second with a double fault, allowing Fed to level at deuce. And Fed goes on to enjoy a set point after Benneteau dumps a smash into the net. He saves it with an incredibly risky forehand right into the corner. A second double from Benneteau wastes another game point. He saves a second set point and does eventually hold with a dripping backhand across court. It's tie-break time ...
- - FEDERER 4-6 6-5 - Benneteau denies Fed a love hold with a forehand drive volley winner but the world number three holds at the second attempt when the Frenchman's forehand goes wide. He will have to serve to stay in this second set once again
- - FEDERER 4-6 5-5 - Benneteau comes up with a Federer-esque running forehand passing shot winner down the lin eto bring up two game points before going on to hold with a solid serve that Fed can only send into the net
- - FEDERER 4-6 5-4 - Benneteau earns himself another break point ... but can't take advantage as he ihts a forehand wide down the line. He denies Federer a game point when he finds a forehand volley followed by a forehand drop shot but the world number three quickly recovers with another chance and this time he does hold when Benneteau sends a forehand return long. The Frenchman will have to serve to stay in this set after the change of ends
- - FEDERER 4-6 4-4 - Federer puts the pressure on Benneteau to level at deuce from 40-15 down but the Frenchman stands his ground and holds with a solid first serve and then a forehand winner
- - FEDERER 4-6 4-3 - A super, super slack forehand volley from Federer goes into the bottom of the net despite the world number three being less than a metre away from it and it hands Benneteau another break point. This time Fed saves it with a solid serve and goes on to hold with another couple of unreturnable serves
- - FEDERER 4-6 3-3 - Benneteau wraps up another service hold to 30 with a solid serve down the centre of the court that Fed can only return into the net
- - FEDERER 4-6 3-2 - Talking of Federer and Benneteau, another service hold apeice has occurred on Centre Court between those two so we remain on serve in this second set
- - FEDERER 4-6 2-1 - BREAK - Benneteau fails to take advantage of a first break point when he hits long and a second when he hits into the net but he gets a third chance when Fed sends a straight-forward drive volley about two metres beyond the baseline. And this time Benneteau does break back, Fed putting a backhand into the net
- - FEDERER 4-6 2-0 - BREAK - Federer earns himself an early break point with a change-of-direction forehand down the line but a sliced backhand into the very bottom of the net sees him squander the chance and allow Benneteau level at deuce. And the Frenchman also saves a second with a cracking forehand drop shot and forehand volley winner combo. But a slip on the baseline on the third sees Fed get the break and leaves Benneteau moving gingerly
- - FEDERER 4-6 1-0 - Federer holds for the opening game of the second set but the crowd are loving Benneteau's style on Centre today as he bounces around the baseline and makes Federer play about three more shots than he would normally like to (in the opening point) before missing the easiest shot - a forehand down the line
- - FEDERER 4-6 - SET - Federer denies Benneteau on a first set point with a forehand winner before the Frenchman hits into the net on a second. But he does wrap up the set at the third attempt, the Frenchman finding a forehand winner much to the delight of the crowd who want to see a real classic here
- - FEDERER 4-5 - BREAK - Well, well, well! Are we going to have a repeat of the Djokovic match earlier? Possibly as Benneteau breaks at the first attempt when Federer hits a forehand into the net. The Frenchman will serve for the opening set after the change of ends
- - FEDERER 4-4 - Federer puts pressure on the Benneteau serve at 30-30 as he looks to strike for the break. But the Frenchman holds firm and goes on to wrap up the game a couple of poimts later with a forehand winner
- - FEDERER 4-3 - Another couple of comfortable service holds apeice as this set trickles quietly towards the business end of the opening set
- - FEDERER 3-2 - Federer squanders the chance to hold to love when he pulls his cross court backhand well wide into the tramlines. But he does go on to hold at the second attempt and sneak out in front once again
- - FEDERER 2-2 - Much more comfortable that his opening service game as Benneteau holds for a second time, this game being wrapped up to 15 by the Frenchman as he finds an ace
- - FEDERER 2-1 - Another quick and easy service hold for Fed as he races through to 15 for the second time this afternoon. The match definately has a subdued feel to it at the moment as much of the crowd continues to be absent. Fed would probably be unused to that these days, although he looks far too focused to notice!
- - FEDERER 1-1 - Benneteau eventually takes his fifth attempt to seal his opening service game as the world number three slices a backhand long of the baseline. Two double faults in that game from the Frenchman is not a great sign
- - FEDERER 1-0 - Fed opens with a low key but effective hold to 15 as some of the crowd continue to sneak out for refreshments after the end of that Watson match
- - Just about to get underway on Centre Court now, still under the roof, is six-times former champion Roger Federer taking on Frenchman Julien Benneteau
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|
|Date of Birth||20/12/1981|