No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - FEDERER 6-1 6-3 6-2 MATCH! Fognini runs into a line judge to much mirth. He almost has Federer caught adrift but fluffs his backhand to net; now double match point to Federer. Fognini thinks he's aced him but it was wide, a failed challenge. He then goes long with a forehand from deep and Federer is through. He faces Julien Benneteau or Michael Russell next. Easy. Men's draw
- - FEDERER 6-1 6-3 4-2 BREAK! Lovely sweeping backhand from Federer that completely catches Fognini out and that is the break that should see Fed win this in straight sets.
- - FEDERER 6-1 6-3 3-2 Back to the Maestro, Fed tosses up a love hold to keep the third set with serve. Prince Charles is knocking about today, I hear, although am yet to see old big ears.
- - FEDERER 6-1 6-3 2-1 The third and probably final set goes with serve as Fed hits an ace to follow a wonderful rally he won with an overhead smash. Fognini appears to have picked up a knock.
- - FEDERER 6-1 6-3 SET Fognini wins an epic point that leaves Fed sprawling after leaping into a diving half-volley. 30-15 to the Italian. But that seems to ignite Federer into some of his best form as he breaks to take the set.
- - FEDERER 6-1 5-3 At 40-0 down on the Federer serve Fognini tricks the Swiss with a superb double-handed pass that gets the crowd going. Fed holds though as the Italian nets weakly with his forehand.
- - FEDERER 6-1 3-2 The crowd want Fognini to make a fist of this as the longer Fed stays on court, the longer we will be entertained. He holds to rapturous applause.
- - FEDERER 6-1 1-3 BREAK Maybe Fognini thought he had a sniff, maybe he didn't. Either way Federer has broken at the second time of asking and he takes charge of the second set and the match. Nice easy hold to follow too.
- - FEDERER 6-1 1-1 Federer had already picked out his angled forehand drive before releasing his serve, on the move to meet Fognini's return before it had even left his racquet. An ace is thrown in for good measure as the Swiss holds to 15.
- - FEDERER 6-1 0-1 Fognini draws applause with a solid hold of serve to at least get this second set off to a competitive start.
- - FEDERER 6-1 SET Fed is such a good server but he drops a couple of points here, including an uncharacteristic error. But, on second serve, he generates enough power to force Fognini long, set point and taken as the Swiss has the whole court to aim at with his approach shot, the Italian stranded.
- - FEDERER 5-1 BREAK After a quick hold Federer breaks to 15 as he guides one down the line and beyond Fognini. Fed serving for the opening set.
- - FEDERER 3-1 Blink and you miss Federer holding, Fognini starts his second service game well enough though, but Fed brings it back to 15-30 with a fabulous disguised lob after he had been caught off balance by the Italian. But, from 30-30, a wonderful stretching half-volley from the Italian gives him game point! He was well beaten there. Good hold for Fognini.
- - FEDERER 2-0 BREAK! Break point for Federer who, having gone 30-0 down, fights back with some majestic shot-making, including a fine volley at the net to bring that point up. However, he overhits a backhand from the line and it's deuce. He has a second break point now, one that he takes as Fognini attempts an ambitious winning forehand that lands long.
- - FEDERER 1-0 Federer holds with imperious ease, he always looks so comfortable in SW19. Fognini is no slouch though, world number 68 he may be but he has some fine ground-strokes and a Federer-esque headband.
- - FEDERER 0-0 The master, Roger Federer, takes his place on HIS Centre Court where he will face unfancied Italian Fabio Fognini. They have only played once before, in Montreal five years ago. Federer won, obviously, 6-1 6-1.
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|
|Date of Birth||24/05/1987|