|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
|J Del Potro||7||6||-||-||-|
- - DEL POTRO 7-5 6-2 - MATCH! With the contest nearing an end, it looks as if there is no way back for the German - but he delves into his bag of tricks to pull out a delightful lob which helps him earn a break point. Del Potro shuts the door, however, brings up match point, and seals it when a backhand return sails wide from Haas. That's the match - and we now know that Del Potro will face Viktor Troicki in round three. Drawsheet
- - DEL POTRO 7-5 5-2 - BREAK! It looks as if the end is in sight for Haas - the Olympic bronze medallist is hitting his stride as the errors creep into the German's game. Simple break - a double break - and now Del Potro will serve for the match.
- - DEL POTRO 7-5 3-2 - BREAK! Del Potro takes the initiative in this one. It looked as if the serve was dominating, but Del Potro responded with a barrage of backhands which eventually broke the German's resistance. That leaves Haas a set and a break down, and for the first time in the match, really staring down the barrel.
- - DEL POTRO 2-2 - Both players starting to look very assured behind their own serves. Del Potro levels the second set with a hold to 15, smashing an ace at the body which Haas can only strike long on the backhand.
- - DEL POTRO 7-5 1-2 - More like it on the Haas serve - four first serves in out of four, including an ace, and and a second straight hold to love.
- - DEL POTRO 7-5 1-1 - No worries for the Argentine behind his serve. He holds to 15, sending down his seventh ace of the day so far.
- - DEL POTRO 7-5 0-1 - Solid hold of serve from the German as he looks to rebound from the disappointment of losing the opener. Still struggling to get his first serve in, but as he wins both points on his second serve it matters little this time.
- - DEL POTRO 7-5 - SET! Ace to start, service winner to follow, ace down the middle to finish. That's a confident way to close out the first set, and Del Potro, who is world number nine but looks to still be improving after his recovery from a horrific wrist injury. One set closer to the third round in Cincy.
- - DEL POTRO 6-5 - BREAK! What a time to strike! Del Potro doesn't show any emotion as he walks back to his chair, but he's taken advantage of a loose game from Haas at just the wrong time. It looked as if he was going to get away with a first serve percentage of just 39%, but now that will only be true if the German can force an immediate break back.
- - DEL POTRO 5-5 - Haas spins the racket in his hands after netting on the forehand at 30-30 - it was another half-chance - one that would have earned him a set point. A double fault from Del Potro keeps the game alive, though an ace turns the game back Del Potro's way, this time conclusively.
- - DEL POTRO 4-5 - Haas answers in kind. A hold to 30, with Del Potro unable to make much impression against the German's serve.
- - DEL POTRO 4-4 - Good hold from the Argentine, sealing the game to 15 as Haas' returning skills temporarily desert him. A backhand dumped into the net confirms the hold.
- - DEL POTRO 3-4 - Haas has had an impressive year, with the highlight perhaps being the way he dismantled Roger Federer in the final of Halle in June. He's going stroke for stroke with a man at his most confident on the hard courts, and holds to thirty to nudge back in front.
- - DEL POTRO 3-3 - The Argentine looking better behind his serve for the first time in this set, but there's still little separating the pair as we move into the business end of the opener.
- - DEL POTRO 2-3 - Haas finds himself in some trouble here, but digs himself out of it. The German saves two break points, the second of them with a delightful backhand which only just catches the corner of the court, before another couple of kick serves take him through to a hold.
- - DEL POTRO 2-2 - BREAK! Haas still very much capable of ripping a forehand down the line, as he does to claim the first point and then ease into a 0-30 lead. An errant backhand approach turns the tide, however, only for Del Potro to sky a return and yield a break point. Haas making life very difficult for the Argentine, and although it takes three break points to get there, he does go on to get the crucial break with an overhead. All square once more.
- - DEL POTRO 2-1 - BREAK! Irritation from Haas - having gone so close to breaking Del Potro in the previous game, he finds himself a break point down after a backhand pick-up ends up in the net. And Del Potro duly capitalises to take an early lead in the contest.
- - DEL POTRO 1-1 - All square in the early stages, but far from simple for the Argentine. Twice he spurns game points, and Haas brings up one of his own with some crafty play, catching the Argentine out with a drop shot from behind the baseline. Del Potro, bronze medallist at the Olympics, holds on - but only just.
- - DEL POTRO 0-1 - Solid start for the German, holding his opener. Incredibly, despite now being 34, he's up as high as world number 23 at the moment. Should be a useful test for Del Potro, the 2009 US Open champion.
|Date of Birth||23/09/1988|
|Date of Birth||03/04/1978|