No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
|J Del Potro||2||6||4||-||-|
- - Djokovic progresses to a meeting with Spanish terrier David Ferrer. That's one to look forward to, but for now it's goodbye. Men's draw
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 5-4 - GAME, SET & MATCH! There it is! Nole's too good and he claims it on his first match point as Delpo hits the net! Credit to the Argentine though, and before his time is up he delights the crowd as he stretches down low to hit a winner across Djokovic! He ends up in the crowd, with his arms raised and even Nole offers some applause. But it does nothing to alter the outcome of the match and the second seed moves into the semis!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 5-4 - What a fighter Del Potro is! He holds to love and he forces Djokovic to serve for the match himself! But surely this one's over now...
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 5-3 - Nole stretches Delpo to his limit again and the Argentine cuts a weary figure now. A wonderful winner seals the game to love and with five minutes short of three hours gone, the Serb is now just a game away from the match.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 4-3 - Still Delpo refuses to go away, the Argentine holding again. In the middle of this game though he looks like he's going to lose the plot when he fires wide, feigning to smash his racquet in the vicinity of a worried looking photographer's expensive camera! It's all smiles at the end though...
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 4-2 - Djokovic again drops points on his serve but again he has the guile to hold off whatever Del Potro throws at him. The Serb holds again to edge to within two games of the match.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 3-2 - Djokovic has had an answer to most things Delpo has thrown at him tonight but the Argentine nevertheless manages to save two break points on his way to securing another game as Nole produces a couple of unforced errors.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 3-1 - Djokovic drops to 0-30 on his serve again... he manages to pull back to 30-30 but then Delpo lands a brilliant forehand pass right on the line to bring up break back point! He attempts a drop shot, but it's just too big and Nole is able to reach it easily before despatching it. The Serb goes on to hold, sealing the game with a brilliant whipped forehand crosscourt winner!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 2-1 - Del Potro manages to get his column on the scoreboard rolling this set as he holds for the first time, for the loss of just a single point - a ferocious Djokovic return of serve. That mad dancing bloke 'entertains' the crowd at the end of the game.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 2-0 - Delpo threatens to break back but a big serve from Nole sees to it. That was just the Argentine's second break point chance of the match; Nole's had 11. And the Serb goes on to get out of trouble and hold serve.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 1-0 - BREAK! Djokovic produces a brilliant backhand return to take the opening game of the third set to deuce and he goes on to bring up break point with a wonderful whipped forehand! The Serb is really hitting his stride now and Delpo crumbles under the pressure as his attempted sliced drop shot falls short. Novak already a break up!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) 0-0 - That really was a sensational set of tennis. Djokovic is showing championship form and it's going to take one of the performances of his life for Del Potro to win the next three sets and snatch this one off the Serb.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 7-6(3) - SET! Both players know that this tie-break is absolutely crucial to the outcome of the match - Delpo shows it at 3-3 when Nole contests a ball from the Argentine that was called in and the Argentine clasps his hands and looks to the heavens! It's out and Nole edges ahead! The next point is a classic as Delpo digs so deep to stay alive, but his final shot, a big low reach that lobs Nole, goes out! Set point to Djoker... he takes it with a monster winner! Brilliant tennis!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 6-6 - Del Potro makes it tough for himself this game, which lasts over 17 minutes! On the third deuce, he fires a loose forehand wide and Djokovic has a set point! The Argentine saves it as Nole does the splits, Clijsters-style, but sees his return hit the net. Delpo goes on to save a second one soon after with a forehand winner and then a third before finally holding serve to send the second set to a tie-break!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 6-5 - The momentum is definitely with Djokovic now - he wins the game with a successful challenge on a serve that just about clips the line! And the pressure is on Delpo now, who must hold his own serve to stay in the second set, and quite possibly the match.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-5 - BREAK! Delpo fires an overhead volley out at the baseline having set himself up nicely to win the point with a thunderous double-handed backhand. He then fires down a big serve before snatching the next point with a great get that Nole can only hit back into the net. Djokovic responds by winning a lengthy baseline rally as Delpo goes long and the Serb has a break point! Some more huge hitting ends with the Argentine going long again the Nole breaks back! We're back on serve!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 4-5 - Djokovic holds serve easily enough once more, firing an ace to clinch the game and extend his interest in this set for at least another game.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 3-5 - Del Potro responds with a held service game of his own, the Argentine forced into holding up an apologetic hand as the ball strikes the top of the net before landing on Djokovic's side on game point. He's just a game away now from levelling things up at a set apiece.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 3-4 - Djokovic aces - just his second of the night - to get things under way on this game and he goes on to hold serve to love. He made that look easy.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 2-4 - This is what Nole needed as Delpo delivers a couple of unforced errors to hand the Serb a break back point... but Djokovic fires well wide and the chance goes begging. Delpo regains his composure and he goes on to hold.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 2-3 - Djokovic eases to a love service game as the world number two hangs onto Delpo's coattails in this second set. He needs more than service holds though.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 1-3 - Delpo double faults at 40-15 up to offer a ray of hope in this game to Nole. But the Argentine manoeuvres his opponent around the court expertly on the next point to open up a two-game lead again.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 1-2 - Nole's focus is initially still out, as he hits two balls out to fall to 0-30. But a far more confident point follows and a great get and with Delpo hitting a baseline shot out on the next point means we're back at 30-30. Djokovic goes on to seal the game in the end, a double-handed backhand winner finding the line on game point! He needed that.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 0-2 - Delpo's a different proposition this set! He races to a love service game and he's looking like the player we all hoped we'd see tonight. Djokovic needs to steady himself now and refocus slightly.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 0-1 - BREAK! Ooh! What a return of serve from Delpo, the Argentine stepping into a blistering forehand that whistles back past Nole to bring up three break points! And a double fault hands Del Potro his first break of serve of the night! More like it from the big man! Game on!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 - SET! Delpo finds himself in trouble at 0-30 down, but a clever shot down low from the big man gives him hope. He goes long on the next point though and Nole is handed two set points. A small break in play ensues as Delpo picks up a moth on his racquet before blowing it off court and he then booms down two serves to save them! But he can't sustain that level and a beautiful drop shot from Nole brings him the set at the next time of asking!
- - DJOKOVIC 5-2 - Djokovic serves and volleys, taking everyone including Delpo by surprise, to go 30-0 up but he allows the Argentine back into things at 30-30. A 31-shot rally then follows, which Nole wins when Delpo hits the net, and the Serb then hammers a winner on the next point to seal the game. Delpo must hold serve to stay in this first set now.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-2 - Here we go then! Delpo awakens from his slumber and holds serve to love! Much better from the Argentine, even if it may have come a little too late to reap any rewards from this opening set.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-1 - Djokovic consolidates that break of serve, sealing the game with another forehand winner and it looks like the first set is over already. Delpo's no stranger to starting slowly, but he really needs to find his feet soon if he is to avoid being blown away by an opponent of Nole's quality.
- - DJOKOVIC 3-1 - BREAK! A sluggish Del Potro drops to 0-40 as he shanks what should have been an easy winner to play at the net. Nole passes up the first one as he sends a backhand well wide of the mark - it hits the net post - but a brilliant forehand winner follows to seal the game! Delpo hasn't really hit his stride yet, and Djokovic is taking full advantage!
- - DJOKOVIC 2-1 - Another comfortable service game for Nole. The Serb is 100 per cent on first service points so far - five won from five served in. He's also hit seven winners to this point.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-1 - A lovely forehand winner from Djokovic that clips the line gets the Serb off to a great start on Delpo's first service game. A lengthy rally follows on the next point, which Delpo wins at the net after Nole's drop shot doesn't have the desired effect. The game goes to a couple deuces, but Delpo holds firm and secures his first game of the match.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-0 - Easy enough on his opening service game, Djokovic sealing the game with an ace down the T. There's a great crowd in Arthur Ashe Stadium tonight and there's a real sense of anticipation in the air. Let's hope we have a classic...
- - This is these players' third meeting in five weeks - they've won one each. Delpo has won the toss and the Argentine has elected to receive first.
- - Not far off starting time now. They're slightly delayed, but we should be up and running soon.
- - Andy Murray meets Tomas Berdych in the other semi-final.
- - This match will complete the semi-final line-up, with the winner scheduled to meet David Ferrer, who beat Janko Tipsarevic earlier today in a gruelling five-setter. Ferrer outlasts Tipsarevic
- - The players are due on court around 01:05 UK time, after a celebrity match featuring Adam Sandler and Kevin James.
- - Hello and welcome to our live coverage of the day's final singles match between defending champion Novak Djokovic and former US Open winner Juan Martin Del Potro.
|Date of Birth||23/09/1988|
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|