|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
14:57 - Thanks for joining us today. Remember we will be back tomorrow from 9am (BST) with the opening semi-final between Tomas Berdych and Novak Djokovic. The Andy Murray against Roger Federer match should be with you from around 1pm (BST). See you back here then.
- - GAME, SET AND MATCH FEDERER! Just too much work for Cilic to deal with in the end as Cilic sees a forehand fly long. Federer punching the air. In just under one hour and 30 minutes, he is into the last four to face Andy Murray. A classy win for Federer, who goes about his business with some relish in progressing. Murray against Federer should be a classic dust-up tomorrow.
- - BREAK CILIC! 4-5 Would you believe it! Cilic saves a break point before saving the day. Federer misses a line going for the winner at 30-30. Federer forced to face a break point, but bludgeons a winner across court to bring up deuce. A forehand and overhead combination carries Federer to match point on his own serve. Cilic tags the line with an all-or-nothing return to save the point before the next two points give him the break. A 5-4 lead for Federer.
- - Cilic battling manfully to force Federer to serve for the match and does just enough to eke out his own service game for a 5-3 advantage. Federer comes out to serve for the match. Not too much life left in this contest.
- - FEDERER 5-2 - Federer bangs an overhead smash into acres of space to move to advantage before another point is good enough to carry the Swiss player to the cusp of this victory. Federer has lorded it over Cilic in one hour and six minutes of one-sided combat. One game away now.
- - FEDERER 4-2 - Cilic stays alive for a while at least by holding serve with a confident service game that leaves Federer still two games away from the match. Cilic with only one ace compared to the six by the Swiss world number one.
- - FEDERER 4-1 - Federer cements the break by punching a winning volley away at the net to hold to 15 in the fifth game of the second set. Unless Federer suffers some sort of strain, there is little or no hope of a Cilic recovery here. Being slowly dismantled here.
- - BREAK FEDERER 3-1 - Cilic drops the ball into the open court with a volley and Federer just dashes across the baseline before sending a winner spinning down the line with Cilic nowhere in sight. A break for Federer and this match is looking a forlorn hope for Cilic. Murray v Federer tomorrow is looking highly likely.
- - FEDERER 2-1 - A supreme service game from Federer in holding to 15. Cilic will struggle to lay a glove on Federer's service game if he continues at this pace. In control of his faculties out there. Federer with 72 percent of first serves flying in compared to Cilic's 44.
- - 1-1 - Cilic swings at a forehand down the line. Crisp delivery with the racket head as the ball speeds beyond Federer. Cilic manages to get some heat on a forehand across court leading 40-30. Cilic can only knock the attempted response into a net. We are level at 1-1 in the second set. Big moments coming up one senses in this match.
- - FEDERER 1-0 - Life at the outset of this second set for Cilic, but he fails to capitalise on the prospect of two break points. How costly will those missed opportunities prove to be? Another break comes his way, but Federer snuffs it out with an ace down the T. A few more seconds drift by, but there is no way through for Cilic. Chance to break eludes the Croatian player.
- - SET FEDERER 6-3 - Another break for Federer, another set on the board. Brings up two set points, but gets the job done on the second set point as he entices Cilic to come to the net before sending a clubbing backhand winner spiralling beyond the bamboozled Croatian. Impressive stuff and then some from the Fed Express. Two breaks in that set. Halfway to the last four.
- - FEDERER 5-3 - A superb service game from the Swiss player when he needed it. A quality bending serve to finish matters off. Running through that game with little problem. Too good for Cilic, who must find something here to avoid dropping this first set.
- - FEDERER 4-3 Eight unforced errors on the backhand side now from Federer enables Cilic to recover from 30-0 behind. Federer chips and charges and knocks Cilic off his stride as he misses long from the back of the court. Federer goes all out for the winner on the break point, but is narrowly wide with the backhand attempt down the line. Cilic dodges a bullet there. 4-3 behind now.
- FEDERER 4-2 - Been going for 23 minutes of this match, but it already seems like Federer has Cilic's number out there. Just moving through the gears with minimal fuss in establishing a 4-2 lead. Cilic must surely hold here otherwise this first set is dead in the water.
- - BREAK FEDERER! All the hard work Cilic worked so hard to build up is handed right back to the Swiss player, who breaks to love on the Cilic serve. That Cilic racket is bleeding errors at the wrong moments. Federer will serve for a 4-2 lead in this first set.
- - BREAK CILIC 2-2! Glimmer of hope for Clic at 30-30, but he is long with a return. Back to deuce before Cilic brings up a break point with a thumping winner down the line. Federer goes for broke with a backhand moments later, but is long from deep. And there we have it. Games back on serve in the opening set.
- - FEDERER 2-1 - The Croatian player puts his first game of the day on the board. A packed house in for this one in Shanghai after the opening match of the day between Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Tomas Berdych resembled a ghost town. Federer holding a 2-1 lead and the break then.
- - FEDERER 2-0 - Federer cements the break as he holds to 15 aided by an ace. Looking very, very relaxed in his business early on. Cilic must get this next game on the board. Doesn't want to be giving Federer any further encouragement.
- - BREAK FEDERER 1-0 - Federer clubbing a backhand wide from the back of the court at 30-30, but the same shot works to some effect seconds later as Cilic can only knock a forehand into the net. Cilic already being tested on his opening service game of the match as he is forced to deuce. A backhand flies long off the Cilic racket, and suddenly Federer has a break point which becomes a break seconds later. Cilic making errors on the forehand side and is duly punished.
0-0 - Cilic to serve in the opening game of the match.
13:29 - You can click here for a round-up of the other action as it happened today in the three opening quarter-final matches. Murray recovers to reach Shanghai Masters semis
13:26 - So the stadium finally filling up for Roger Federer to face Marin Cilic. Federer yet to lose a match against Cilic in their three previous meetings, the last of which saw Federer win in four sets at last year's US Open in the last 32.
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|
|Date of Birth||28/09/1988|