|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - It's been an absolute classic in Shanghai - painful stuff for Andy Murray fans in the end, but you can't begrudge Djokovic for coming back into the match and saving five match points. Congratulations to the Serbian world number two!
- DJOKOVIC WINS 5-7 7-6 6-3: Murray quickly gives up another match point, but a magnificent forehand out wide saves it! Djokovic then earns another after a successful challenge and a slip by Murray, and as the Scot goes long with a backhand the match is all over!
- - Match point! Murray on the back foot throughout the game as he hits sloppy serves and the lines again and again, but he saves it with a big serve. Deuce!
- - Andy Murray is now serving to save the match... but either way, Djokovic has a great chance of taking revenge for his Olympic and US Open defeats.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-7 3-5: Djokovic closes out the game from deuce in style, hitting one serve that Murray can't back in, then a second out wide that is as perfect an ace as you could hope to see.
- - Deuce! At 15-15 Murray plays one of the points of the match, turning Djokovic's ascendancy on its head with an incredible backhand on the run that dips over the net and in, then charging the net himself to wrap up the point with a dropshot winner. The opening seems to have gone quickly as Djokovic hits a big serve to make it 30-30 and Murray nets a return, but the Scot then makes it deuce as Djokovic nets.
- - BREAK! MURRAY 7-5 6-7 3-4: Murray concedes 15-40 in dreadful, sloppy fashion as he hits three successive shots long under no pressure at all. And then he nets with a simple forehand on the very next point! Djokovic is in control of this final set!
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-7 3-3: Murray doesn't get close to Djokovic's first two serves, but then nails a return to put his opponent on the run and get into the game. Yet the Scot, still struggling for consistency, nets with a simple backhand on the next point before hitting a high-kicking second serve long to lose the game.
- - The match has now ticked over the three hour mark...
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-7 3-2: Another epic rally from the pair, ended when Djokovic slips as he puts a forehand in the net, gives Murray advantage - and the Scot then wrongfoots the Serb with a forehand to close out the game.
- - Deuce! Murray gets unsettled by a line challenge that goes against him at 30-0 up, pointing at the line in disbelief at what he thinks was an error by the computer. That lets Djokovic back in to the game, and when a net cord goes against him two points later he faces a break point. It's saved when Djokovic goes long, but this is still another chance for the Serb.
- - The crowd is pretty subdued at the moment after the astonishing drama of the end of the end of that second set.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-7 2-2: Djokovic opens the game with a fourth double fault of the match, but two good serves followed by a very poor Murray backhand into the net bring him to 40-15. He then closes the game out with a third unreturnable serve.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-7 2-1: Excellent stuff from Murray, who hits two unplayable serves that Djokovic can't get back in. Great way to save the service game.
- - Deuce! The game opens with two ridiculous net cords in a row, both of which go in favour of Murray as Djokovic first struggles to get to a ball, then gets totally wrong-footed at 0-30. Murray gives it all back with a pair of poor second serves that are rightly punished, and two points later we're at 40-40 to give Djokovic a first opening.
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-7 1-1: With adrenaline no doubt still pumping, Djokovic has a few struggles with his timing in that game as he slips 15-30 behind, but he pulls himself back with unhandleable serves to close out the game.
- - That tie-break, incidentally, was just under 25 minutes long, while this match is fast approaching the three-hour mark...
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-7 1-0: It's the Scot who has the marginal advantage of serving first in the final set, and he gets off the mark in fine style. Three big serves, each followed up with power hitting to the corners to keep the Serb running back and forth, help him to 40-15, and as Djokovic goes long with a forehand two shots later he holds serve.
- - DJOKOVIC WINS AN INCREDIBLE TIE-BREAK 13-11! A stunning first serve from the Serb, and Murray can only loft it back to give the Serb a chance to blast an unstoppable winner into the right corner.
- - DJOKOVIC 12-11: It's another set point, and Djokovic on serve as Murray's attempted winner is just inches long...
- - DJOKOVIC 11-11: Murray saves it! Unbelievable stuff as Djokovic nets going for a winner down the line.
- - DJOKOVIC 11-10: Set point once more! Great serve from Djokovic and Murray can only loft it high and long.
- - DJOKOVIC 10-10: Djokovic nets his first serve and Murray has him on the ropes, but the Scot then blows a simple one into the net...
- - DJOKOVIC 9-10: Murray earns another match point in a carbon copy of the previous one!
- - DJOKOVIC 9-9: Magnificent first serve from Murray has Djokovic reeling, and he ends up going long with a lofted backhand desperately trying to get the ball in.
- - DJOKOVIC 9-8: Murray hits a great return to take charge of the point, but then mistimes a simple backhand that ends up flying well wide. The Scot yells at himself - another set point to save!
- - DJOKOVIC 8-8: The Serb charges the net and saves the match with a nerveless winner into the far left corner. Outstanding!
- - DJOKOVIC 7-8: Match point! Good first serve by Murray to take the initiative and Djokovic goes long!
- - DJOKOVIC 7-7: Let! Murray seems to have a match point once again as Djokovic goes long, but the challenge shows otherwise....
- - DJOKOVIC 7-7: Murray takes the point! A good second serve is mistimed by Djokovic, who goes long.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6: Set point for Djokovic! A fine first serve forces Murray wide and he never gets back into the point, eventually going long with a desperate backhand recovery shot...
- - DJOKOVIC 6-6: Murray's serve goes straight into the tape, and this tie-break is so finely balanced it's almost painful to watch...
- - DJOKOVIC 5-6: Djokovic saves the first match point with a magnificent forehand winner, right onto the line. What guts when staring down the barrel! Awesome stuff from Djokovic....
- - DJOKOVIC 4-6: Two match points! Murray just unbeatable on his defence, saving the point with three shots that surely nobody else in the game would have got to....
- - DJOKOVIC 4-5: Poor second serve by Djokovic is returned with extra mustard by Murray, and the Scot gets his nose ahead in the tie break for the first time!
- - DJOKOVIC 4-4: Djokovic hits a shocker from nowhere! It's a sliced backhand that drifts wide under no pressure whatsoever, apart from that of trying to win the match of course.!
- - DJOKOVIC 4-3: Murray loses another point on serve! It's yet another 20+ shot rally, but Murray goes for a lob, and hits it poorly, to give Djokovic a simple drop-shot winner.
- - DJOKOVIC 3-3: Murray squares it up! You can feel the tension in the air in a cagey rally won by Murray as Djokovic goes long with a backhand. The players change ends, and this tie-break is wide open...
- - DJOKOVIC 3-2: Muray seems on top of the rally after the first of Djokovic's serves, but pushing too hard for a winner he clips one into the net. But a double fault makes it 3-2, and Murray is back on terms in the tie-break...
- - DJOKOVIC 2-1: Murray hits an untouchable serve to get into the tie-break, but he needs to win one of the next two points desperately...
- - DJOKOVIC 2-0: Perfect start from the Serb as he hits a great first serve, then benefits as Murray nets a backhand while going for a winner.
- - TIE BREAK! Djokovic to serve first...
- - MURRAY 7-5 6-6: Two big serves get Murray to 30-0, and he then makes it 40-0 despite Djokovic once again trying to wni a point from between his legs, the Scot this time charging the net to put the ball away safely. Murray then nets a straightforward forehand to give up a point, but a big serve closes out the game. It's a tie-break!
- - MURRAY 7-5 5-6: Murray loses his edge in that game, breaking a racquet at one point, going wide with a simple backhand, and then lashing a brilliantly set-up chance for a winner into the net to give up 40-0. A double fault gets it to 40-15, but Djokovic then bullies the next point from the start despite Murray's brilliant running, and it's 6-5.
- - BREAK! MURRAY 7-5 5-5: Unbelievable! A miracle winner from Djokovic deep into the corner gives him his first break point of the second set, and Murray blows it! A fine first serve sees Djokovic only able to pop the ball up in the air, but with the court wide open for a winner Murray blasts over the baseline. Djokovic has broken back!
- - DEUCE! Djokovic battles valiantly with some amazing shotmaking, but Murray is equal to everything his opponent throws at him, and eventually Djokovic finds the net to give up match point. But Djokovic saves it by charging the net on Murray's second serve, and it's 40-40...
- The drama's not over yet! The game opens with another epic rally settled by Djokovic going long with a regular forehand under no pressure. Murray then follows up with an unreturnable serve down the middle for 30-0, but Djokovic then wins an amazing point first with a shot through the legs and then with a miraculous drop shot from the back of the court. Murray then puts a simple forehand wide while going for a winner, and it's suddenly 30-30....!
- - MURRAY 7-5 5-4: Djokovic shows that he can dig in and get back into this match, winning the key point of the game while 30-15 ahead thanks to a brilliant forehand to the corner that's returned by Murray and put away with a fabulous drop-shot by the Serb. Djokobiv then hits a big serve to wrap up the game, and Murray will have to serve for the match.
- - MURRAY 7-5 5-3: Murray looks slightly nervy as he hits a couple of short balls in two long rallies, but Djokovic doesn't press his advantage, and the Scot gets first to 30-15 and then 40-15 with a serve that his opponent barely gets the racquet frame to. Djokovic then hits a loose return long of a good second serve on the next point, and Murray consolidates the break!
- - BREAK! MURRAY 7-5 4-3: Two break points! The first chance of the second set falls to the Scot as Djokovic seems to lose concentration, hitting three very loose shots - two into the net and one punished with a Murray winner down the line - on his way to 15-40. And Murray takes the opportunity brilliantly, hitting a fierce return of second serve that wrongfoots Djokovic, and despite battling to get back into the rally the Serb eventually clips a forehand into the net. Murray has the break!
- - MURRAY 7-5 3-3: Two beautiful serves, the second a perfect act out wide, see Murray charge 30-0 ahead, and though he then nets a simple backhand to give up a point he moves to 40-15 with a fine, spinning second serve that Djokovic mistimes and hits long. A double fault follows after a failed challenge - his third of the match - but wraps up the game by blasting yet another untouchable serve down the middle on the next point.
- - MURRAY 7-5 3-2: Djokovic races to 30-0 ahead, not so much from good serves as from Murray trying to do a bit too much with first a forehand that goes wide and then a backhand into the net. Murray then nets another forehand to go 40-0, and despite Murray winning the next point by challenging an 'out' call on his winner the game goes to Djokovic on the next point as he follows up into the net after unbalancing Murray with another big serve.
- - MURRAY 7-5 2-2: It's the first perfect game of the match! Murray holds to love off the back of four serves loaded with power and spin which keep Djokovic guessing despite all being sent out wide. It's like a different match in this second set - you can't help feeling that this set will come down to one or two key moments.
- - Djokovic has won 60% of points on first serve and 83% of points on second serve in this second set so far - a huge turnaround after that opening set.
- - MURRAY 7-5 1-2: The game begins with a magnificent 26-shot rally in which Murray stars as he throws himself to the net to chip a dropshot back, then races towards the baseline to hit a leaping, backwards volley, only to net with his next shot. Murray then gets it to 15-15, but again Djokovic pulls out a trio of fine serves that the Scot can only chip back to tee up easy winners.
- - MURRAY 7-5 1-1: A shaky start to his service game for Murray as he slips 0-30 behind, but he then reels off a succession of four fine serves that Djokovic has no answer to. Looks like both players have given themselves a talking-to about their serves in between the sets.
- - MURRAY 7-5 0-1: Djokovic steadies the ship after losing three games in a row, holding serve for the loss of just one point, and crucially winning easy points off the two first serves he gets in. That's what both players have been struggling with so far.
- - That is a major boost for Murray: Djokovic has yet to lose a match this year when he's won the opening set, and the manner in which he won those last two games of the set will only make him feel all the more confident.
- - MURRAY WINS THE SET 7-5!: Murray opens the game with a perfect ace down the centre, the first of the match so far, then gets it to 30-0 as Djokovic nets a backhand return. A dreamy second-serve return right onto the baseline makes it 30-15, but Murray hits a hard, swerving serve down the middle to get two set points. Djokovic saves the first with a winner down the line, but he then goes long in a tense rally and Murray wins the set!
- - Djokovic goes absolutely bananas after that pretty horrible capitulation from 40-0 up - and he takes it out on his racquet, smashing it to pieces on the court and then throwing it off to the side. Time for a new racquet my friend!
- BREAK! DJOKOVIC 5-6: Amazing break of serve for Murray! A shocker from Djokovic at the first deuce as a first serve pushes Murray well wide and tees him up for a simple winner that the Djoker clobbers into the net. Djokovic charges the net on the next point trying to take control of the rally - but he clumsily puts it wide! Awful shot - and Murray will serve for the set!
- - DEUCE! The world number two quickly goes 40-0 up as Murray mishits a return that goes long, succumbs to a Djokovic crosscourt backhand winner and then nets a simple backhand. Djokovic then puts successive forehands into the net cord - and Murray hits a magical, disguised backhand winner to the left corner to make it 40-40. Great stuff!
- - This match has been going over an hour already...
- - DJOKOVIC 5-5: Great escape from Murray - a poor second serve that's punished by Djokovic followed by a weak double fault see Djokovic skip 0-30 ahead almost immediately, but the world number two then goes long with one forehand and wide right with another. Murray then charges the net after a great first serve to get to 40-30, and Djokovic goes long on the next point to lose his grasp on the game.
- - Murray now tries to hold, but with only having won 53% of points on his first serve and 29% on his second so far today he'll need to pull his socks up.
- - DJOKOVIC 5-4: Finally, a hold of serve as Djokovic pulls out three big serves to take control of the game, Murray netting two of them and hitting the third long. Murray has a couple of chances to attack, but loses the game 40-15.
- - BREAK! DJOKOVIC 4-4: Murray saves the first break point with a big serve down the middle, but Murray nets a backhand on the next point to give his break back yet again.
- - THREE BREAK POINTS! It looks like neither of these guys want to hold serve today: Murray quickly slips 0-30 down with two shots that fly long under pressure, then a second serve off the net cord brings a double fault and it's three break points to Djokovic.
- - BREAK! DJOKOVIC 3-4: Murray breaks again! Simply magnificent tennis, the Scot attacking the second serve brilliantly on the second of the three break points, only fro Djokovic to hit what looks like a backhand winner out wide and right. But Murray, unbelievably, gets it back crosscourt, and Djokovic drives it over the baseline while trying to put it away. Breathtaking tennis from both players - but it's Murray who has the advantage once again.
- - THREE BREAK POINTS! Now it's Djokovic's turn to start slipping up, wtih two unforced errors, one backhand into the net and another that goes fractionally wide. Murray then clips the line with a backhand passing shot. Djokovic challenges, but it's definitely just in - and it's three break points to the Scot...
- - Both players struggling on serve, winning only around 50 per cent of the points on their first serves and under 40 per cent on second serves. That's a testament to the extraordinary returning more than anything else....
- - BREAK! DJOKOVIC 3-3: Another unforced error by Murray - a backhand wide - after a decent first serve gives Djokovic a break point, but Murray saves it by charging the net... only to give up another by firing long while going for the right corner during the umpteenth long rally. And the break comes on the next point as Murray nets a simple backhand!
- - Deuce! A late call against Murray by the line judge at 15-15 upsets the Scot, but he seems back on course with two huge serves to make it 40-30 - only to hook a simple forehand wide to make it 40-40.
- - BREAK! DJOKOVIC 2-3: Djokovic sees 30-0 become 30-30 first as an impudent short return from Murray forces him wide, and then as his attempt at a blasted winner from the net into the open court catches the net cord and loops over the baseline. Murray then works a break point by attacking the net, and repeats the tactic successfully to break serve with a whipped forehand to the corner that Djokovic is close to but can't touch. Murrray on fire in that game!
- - DJOKOVIC 2-2: Murray saves the break of serve with ease. It's advantage Murray straight away as he buries what looked like a solid return from Djokovic, and then the world number two barely gets the frame of his racquet to a perfect first serve on the next point. All square, and it's game on...
- - DEUCE! Murray clocks up his ninth and 10th unforced errors as he gives away 30-30 with two weak shots slapped into the net for no good reason. Djokovic goes wide with his return on the next point, but forces deuce on the next with a crunching backhand that Murray can only float up to present a simple smash winner.
- - Magnificent stuff from both players already - what a fantastic start to the match.
- - BREAK! DJOKOVIC 2-1: Murray breaks straight back! He gets his nose ahead with a phenomenal 167kmh return ace followed up two points later with a backhand cross-court to beat Djokovic at the net - and almost immediately it's two break points as Djokovic nets a simple backhand under pressure from the Scot. Murray grabs the chance with a thundering forehand deep into the corner that Djokovic can only get into the tramlines!
- - BREAK! DJOKOVIC 2-0: Murray lashes an unreturnable serve down the middle to earn advantage, but gets pegged back to deuce as Djokovic attacks the net once more. Murray then nets at the end of another long rally to give up advantage, and a weak second serve sees Djokovic grab an early break!
- - DEUCE! Murray gets slightly on the back foot when he loses a 26-shot rally at 15-15 by going just a few inches over the baseline, and then Djokovic rushes the net to hit a brilliant winner down the line and earn two break points. But Murray saves the first with a brilliant forehand winner, then whips an unstoppable backhand past Djokovic to make it 40-40.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-0: The Serb gets off to a solid start with his first few serves, though Murray digs in to force deuce with some great hitting to force a pair of errors. Big serves from Djokovic from there see Murray dink returns into the net, though, and it's a hold.
0-0 - The match gets under way, and it's Djokovic to serve first...
9:42 - Murray was in genuinely superb form to beat Roger Federer in Saturday's semi-final, but world number two Djokovic remains the bookies favourite, trading at 4/7 on, or 1.55 on the betting exchanges.
9:40 - Murray has won their last two matches, however: the Olympic semi-final at Wimbledon, and their five-set classic in the final of the US Open last month.
9:35 - These two players - good friends and somtime training partners as well as rivals - have gone toe-to-toe 15 times before, with Djokovic winning eight and Murray seven of their previous matches.
9:30 - It's already been a monumental day for British tennis, with British women's number two Heather Watson having triumphed in the Japan Open in the early hours. Watson wins Japan Open to end 24-year wait for title
9:25 - Morning everybody, and welcome to our LIVE coverage of what should be a cracking final of the Shanghai Masters between Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic.
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|