|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - FEDERER 4-6 2-6 – GAME SET AND MATCH! Nadal is back, he has dismantled Roger Federer, holding serve to 15 to close out the match in an hour and 25 minutes. Utterly dominant performance in the second set, Fed unable to return effectively in that final game. Berdych next for the Spaniard. Vamos!
- - FEDERER 4-6 2-5 – BREAK! He was so close to turning this round but now Federer loses some puff as he falls 0-30, although he pulls one back with a smash past a stranded Rafa. And a woeful, casual forehand volley flies long and it’s two break points! The first is saved as Rafa nets his return, the second as the Spaniard hits long under pressure. But Nadal ups the intensity and takes his third break point of the game as Federer nets a lazy backhand after a deep return from Rafa.
- - FEDERER 4-6 2-4 – Federer really has found a second wind as he shades ahead in this game, with Rafa managing to level after a short return was easily made by the Spaniard. But a weak backhand to net gives Rafa game point, which he takes with a monster serve.
- - FEDERER 4-6 2-3 – Federer has switched a gear as he pounds an angled forehand off the line in dismissive fashion. A solid hold for the Swiss maestro, who has not given up, not yet anyway.
- - FEDERER 4-6 1-3 – BREAK! Federer gets his first break point after an hour’s play but Nadal saves it with a blistering serve. Before then they had traded some excellent points, and they continue to do so off deuce as Rafa pings a cross-court forehand long. And another break point after a majestic point of baseline bullets, lobs and retrieves, Nadal smacking it long in the end. And Nadal goes long again as Federer breaks one back!
- - FEDERER 4-6 0-3 – BREAK! Now Nadal has a break point as his return is too good for a slightly distant Federer. Saved as Nadal wildly thrashes at a forehand that almost takes the net off. But another break point after a fine exchange, Nadal burying a cross-court forehand. And he takes it with a scintillating pass that kisses the top of the net to fly past a frankly broken Federer!!
- - FEDERER 4-6 0-2 – Federer with a more characteristic winner but Nadal levels after making the Swiss run hard to stay in it. He seems to be struggling with his movement still. His serve does reawaken though, and he is a point from stopping the rot, but after a deep return an errant forehand lands long and it’s deuce. Federer can’t buy a game at the moment. Big serve for advantage, but a lazy backhand is clipped wide.
- - FEDERER 4-6 0-2 – Nadal is bullying Federer now. We thought he may well be finished after that injury hell, but he looks somewhere close to his best. Flashing backhand winner down the line. Almost another one but it lands half a foot long, but Nadal holds to 15 as Fed returns long.
- - FEDERER 4-6 0-1 – BREAK! Another backhand miss for Federer to get the second set underway. It’ll be the last if he continues to play like this, spanking another backhand long. And now he pumps a forehand wide and it’s three break points Nadal! First serve is wide… and at the second Federer again comes to the net for a volley, is caught out and has it smacked at his head, the volley landing wide!
- - FEDERER 4-6 – SET! Nadal serving for the set. He gets off to a good start before Federer teases him into an error after a succession of backhand slices. Fed then puts a backhand return wide, and Nadal has two set points as Fed repeats the error. Now confusion as Federer appeared to have put well wide, but it hit the top of the net and trickled over, Nadal missing the follow up. But the next serve spins off the side of Federer’s racquet, well wide and Nadal has the set!
- - FEDERER 4-5 – So Federer faces a second break point in this game, but he saves it as Nadal misses a straightforward forehand, admittedly under pressure. And now he batters a backhand well long, giving Fed an advantage he takes. Nadal serving for the set
- - FEDERER 3-5 – Federer is again in trouble as he slides to 30-40, A number of poor defensive shots cancelled out by a couple of strong serves. He appears to get broken to the set but the umpire orders a replayed point – Federer’s next serve is majestic. Deuce. And now he has the advantage with a solid serve, but even though his next second serve is strong Rafa returns it with interest. And a second break point in this game as Nadal crushes a double-handed backhand away!
- - FEDERER 3-5 – New balls. Brutal double-hander from Rafa that again leaves Fed gazing across. 30-0 but a glorious sliced backhand at the net is Federer at his imperious best. It’s only a flash of genius though as Nadal powers to defend that break, flashing a backhand winner past the Swiss.
- - FEDERER 3-4 – BREAK! Federer beats Nadal on the run, not bad for a veteran, but another wild backhand brings back deuce. And now Federer messes up his drop shot, allowing Nadal to angle across a backhand that a stretching Fed nets! Break point! Saved as Nadal nets a forehand, but now Fed gets his serve-volley on the second serve all wrong and it’s another break point! Taken as Nadal goes for the net and flicks it clear of Federer!
- - FEDERER 3-3 – Fantastic net play from both men with Fed coming out on top with a glorious flicked lob. Rafa responds with a 100kg power drive about a yard clear of Fed. More baseline bullets now as Federer puts some pace and spin on the forehand, and a rapid serve comes off the top of Nadal’s racquet. But Fed overcommits to the net, Nadal spanking it clear after a soft volley and we’re on deuce once more as Federer misses a forehand cross.
- - FEDERER 3-3 – Federer touches his hip as Nadal powers a brutish shot across the Swiss. He’s moving gingerly and Nadal holds to love as Fed backhand returns long.
- - FEDERER 3-2 – Fed again misses a forehand wide, and for a second game in a row he is 0-30. Can Rafa make him pay this time? ACE. This time? Serve down the middle again that Rafa touches but to no avail. But break point as Federer mis-hits a backhand down the line (it goes beyond it)… ACE. Nadal challenges, it looked on the line and it was. First break point of the match, Federer saves with an ace. A tasty second serve gives Fed advantage, and with Nadal backhanding to net the Swiss holds.
- - FEDERER 2-2 – Rafa starts with a double fault. He levels with one of his massive double-handers from the right baseline, across court with Fed glancing in admiration. Nadal then gives Fed the runaround as he pings it about but he misses a forehand winner, into the net. He hesitated and it’s 30-30. A great rally follows which Nadal wins with a defensive forehand that Fed misjudges, hitting wide. Nadal holds as Fed backhand slices his second-serve return into the net.
- - FEDERER 2-1 – Fed pumps a forehand long, then delivers a weak second serve, Rafa dictating that point to force Roger long again. 0-30. Fed gambles by coming to net quickly; it pays off as Nadal again slices his forehand wide. And now Fed leads after taking a more aggressive tack, holding as Rafa returns the next serve wide. Another tough hold for Fed!
- - FEDERER 1-1 – Having been made to work for his hold of serve, Federer barely gets a touch as Rafa blasts some mighty serves in. But then Rafa gets his angles and balance wrong on a routine forehand – still feeling his way back into this tennis lark – only to respond with a pair of brutish first serves that Fed can’t handle, the game-winning point an ace down the middle.
- - FEDERER 1-0 – Rafa gets things underway with a disguised forehand cross to the left baseline. But the next few testy rallies go Fed’s way before he too misses one. Nadal sends a backhand down the line but it’s long, but Fed obliges as he too slices a backhand wide. Deuce on the first game. Fed serves-volleys off second serve, catching Rafa flat-footed, and the Swiss gives him the runaround on the next point, Rafa flinging one well wide. Fed off the board with a hold.
- - Time is called and, with Federer serving, this match gets underway.
- - Interestingly, while this is the 29th match between these two, it's the first time they've met in a quarter-final. Usually about the biggies but Rafa is world no.5 so he'll have to suck this up for a while.
- - Rafa Nadal: "When you come back after seven months, you really understand how much you miss it, all of this. Two weeks ago I didn't know if I would be able to be here, so just being in the quarter-finals is a fantastic result for me. I need to keep doing. I need time and I need matches more on clay than hard." Tennis - Nadal's comeback, so far, smooth amid some concern
- - H2H: As mentioned, this is the 29th time these two legends of the game play each other. Nadal leads the head-to-head 18-10, but this is a recovering Rafa after months and months of injury, against an evergreen Federer in something of an Indian Summer. World no.2 Federer goes into this the favourite over the man who has slipped to fifth.
- - Hello and welcome to our LIVE coverage of the second men's quarter final at Indian Wells as Roger Federer takes on the resurgent Rafael Nadal. Federer v Nadal for the 29th time. Set to start at 2am UK time (7pm local).
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|