|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So it is sixth seed Tomas Berdych who extends his win-loss ratio on clay against Murray to 3-0 and books his place in the semi-finals where he awaits either seventh seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or 15th seed Stanislas Wawrinka.
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) 4-6 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Murray whips a forehand passing shot down the line to get off the mark in this game but it's only a temporary respite as the Scot goes long with a forehand to hand Berdych two match points. The sixth seed only needs the one, though, working Murray patiently around the baseline and waiting for the error that eventually comes - a forehand wide down the line
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) 4-5 - Berdych goes long with backhand approach shot. The Czech isn't sure but the umpire comes down to check the mark and confirms the call. Murray holds but Berdych can serve out the match after the change of ends if he can hold.
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) 3-5 - Berdych looks to be cruising towards a love service hold only to put consecutive forehands long and make the game suddenly much more nervy. He recovers to hold without facing a break point but maybe a few signs of nerves from the Czech. Nonetheless, Murray will have to serve to stay in this match after the change of ends.
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) 3-4 - A few signs of life from Murray as he earns himself a game point with a blistering forehand winner before promptly throwing in a double fault. But he recovers to hold in the end and has kept this match alive for a little longer at least.
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) 2-4 - After breaking to love, Berdych has now held to love to consolidate the break and leave himself potentially just two games away from a place in the quarter-finals in the Spanish capital.
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) 2-3 - BREAK! Not great shot selection from Murray as he attempts to run round the ball and put a forehand down the line, instead hitting wide to hand Berdych three more break points. The sixth seed doesn't need to do much though, secureing the break at the first attempt when Murray nets a forehand.
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) 2-2 - Murray earns himself another break point when Berdych makes a trip into the net only to put what should be an easy (for him) backhand volley into the top of the tape. The Czech player saves it with a forehand cross court drive volley winner. He hits long on the next point to hand Murray a second chance but again he saves it with a forehand drive volley winner and this time he goes on to hold and level up.
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) 2-1 - Murray is really struggling with his second serve and more specifically the lack of power he is getting on it and Berdych uses that to earn himself another break point. He lines up a powerhouse forehand down the line only to send the ball long and Murray goes on to hold
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) 1-1 - BREAK! Murray moves up on to the baseline, really attacking the Berdych serve, and it pays divends as he earns himself an immediate break back point before grabbing it with another huge return that Berdych can only send sailing long off the forehand wing in reply.
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) 0-1 - BREAK! Murray goes to the body of Berdych up at the net, trying to cramp the Czech in his volley, but it's not quite good enough and Berdych finds a volley winner to bring up a break point. He can't take advantage of it but quickly fashions a second chance and this time he does break, Murray going long with a fairly routine forehand. Murray in all sorts of trouble now.
- - That wasn't a bad set from Murray, in fact it was pretty good stuff from both players. Murray actually had 20 winners and 12 unforced errors to Berdych's 17 winners and 19 unforced errors. It was just the return that let Murray down on a couple of occasions as he failed to make the breakthrough that he perhaps should have.
- - MURRAY 6-7(3) - SET! The first goes begging for Berdych when the Czech puts a backhand just wide across the court. But he makes amends and seals the set at the second attempt when Murray goes wide with a backhand down the line.
- - MURRAY 6-6 (2-6) - TIE-BREAK! Murray gets one of the points back, immediately after the change of ends, but this breaker has been all about Berdych and he earns himself four set points...
- - MURRAY 6-6 (1-5) - TIE-BREAK! Berdych has completely loosened up in this breaker as he races out to a 5-1 lead at the change-of-ends when Murray goes wide with a lob despite having opening up the court well.
- - MURRAY 6-6 - Another love service hold from Murray as he emphatically forces this set to the be decided by the breaker.
- - MURRAY 5-6 - Not one of Berdych's best service games but good enough as Murray sends a couple of returns long, the latter a forehand that hands Berdych the hold. The Czech has ensured that at the very least he gets a breaker to look at, while Murray will have to serve to stay in this set for a second time.
- - MURRAY 5-5 - A great service game from Murray, his best so far, as he holds to love with a back-to-back aces (numbers two and three overall) to level up and put the pressure once more on Berdych.
- - MURRAY 4-5 - Murray is quick to earn himself another two break points. The first goes begging when Berdych gets his first serve in to put Murray on the backfoot, the Czech then finding a forehand winner. And he also saves the second, this time with a backhand winner down the line off a shorter, defensive ball from Murray. Murray also fails to take advantage of a third as he fails to control his return and Berdych goes on to hold. Murray will have to serve to stay in this opening set next.
- - MURRAY 4-4 - BREAK! Murray finds the very back of the baseline with a vicious forehand winner, leaving Berdych rooted to the spot and with a wry smile on his face. The Czech player moves on to earn himself a break back point with backhand winner down the line. Murray saves it with an ace but Berdych eventually fashions himself a second chance when Murray sends a lob long. And this time the Czech does break back with a blistering winner.
- - MURRAY 4-3 - BREAK! Murray gets some height with a forehand down the line, drawing the error from Berdych, a cross court backhand wide, and earning himself a break point. The dipping cross court forehand passing shot, one of Murray's trademark shots, is the one that gets it down. The world number three has the lead.
- - MURRAY 3-3 - Another impressive hold of serve from Murray as he holds to 15 once again, a confidence-boosting backhand winner down the line helping the Scot to game point.
- - MURRAY 2-3 - Berdych has one of the best one-two punches on the tour and he fires over a forehand winner to bring up game points. And he goes on to hold with an inside-out forehand winner across court off a shorter (mid-court) ball.
- - MURRAY 2-2 - A great low forehand volley from Murray back behind Berdych down the line goes for a winner as the Scot also posts a hold to 15. Better serving from Murray in the early stages today, although still not great at 54 per cent. He has won 100 per cent of points when he's got that first serve in though
- - MURRAY 1-2 - Murray gets on the board in this game with a forehand winner flashed across court but that's his only point in an otherwise very solid hold for Berdych as he gets the Scot on the defensive before rushing up the court to rattle a backhand winner down the line
- - MURRAY 1-1 - Murray slices a backhand wide to squander a first game point but a decent second serve on the next point is returned into the net from Berdych and the Scot has the hold.
- - MURRAY 0-1 - A much better start from Murray tonight than last night's lethargic opening as he pushes Berdych to deuce before some great hitting from the Czech ends in Murray putting an under-pressure forehand into the bottom of the net.
- - We are ready to go and it will be Berdych who gets things underway by serving first...
- - The players are out on court, just 55 minutes behind schedule, and just about to start their warm-up. Things should be getting underway in about 10 minutes or so.
- - These two have met each other eight times before with the head-to-heads currently locked at four wins apeice. If you take the carpet and hard court meetings out of the running though that head-to-head record swings dramatically in favour of Berdych. He has won both of their previous meetings on clay.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the third of the Madrid Masters semi-finals - this one between world number three Andy Murray and world number six Tomas Berdych.
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|