|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So Murray it is through to the quarter-finals where he will face sixth seed Tomas Berdych, a 7-6(5) 7-5 winner much earlier today against Kevin Anderson.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 7-6(6) - GAME, SET & MATCH! Murray finally secures the win, working Simon around the baseline before drawing him into the net. Simon should have done better with the backhand volley but it was a tired looking shot and instead ended up in the net so it is Murray through into the last eight.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 6-6 (7-6) - TIE-BREAK! The first goes begging on a Murray error while the second is saved by Simon, forcing the forehand long from the Scot after a lengthy rally. But Murray quickly earns himself another chance, a third in the breaker and a fifth overall...
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 6-6 (6-4) - TIE-BREAK! A couple of Murray errors allow Simon to level at 4-4 before the Scot again stretches his lead and brings up two more match points...
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 6-6 (4-2) - TIE-BREAK! Murray pulls a regulation cross court backhand wide to drop a point heading into the change of ends. The Scot is still a mini-break ahead but he could have been 5-1 up.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 6-6 - Murray finally earns himself two match points with a series of heavy ground-strokes that eventually results in Simon netting a foerhand. The first goes begging when Murray hits a forehand wide down the line while he also sqaunders the second with a forehand into the net. Simon under-hits a forehand drop shot attempt despite having the open court to aim for to hand Murray another chance but again he nets a forehand and Simon goes on to hold to force the tie-break.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 6-5 - Murray holds to 30 to leave Simon serving to stay in the match for a second time. At the very least, Murray has secured a tie-break to end this match.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 5-5 - Murray squanders a chance to earn himself a match point when he nets an off-balance forehand and Simon goes on to hold with another couple of very gutsy points, ending the game with a big forehand that Murray can only return into the net.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 5-4 - A sensational backhand passing shot winner down the line and at full-stretch from Murray sees him hold to 15 and leave Simon serving to stay in the match after the change of ends.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 4-4 - A relatively easy service game for Simon as he holds to level up with a big serve that Murray can only return long.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 4-3 - Murray urges himself on after bossing a couple of points from the baseline to earn himself two game points despite dropping the point of the game. The Scot holds with a ferocious forehand down the line, wrong-footing Simon on the baseline to secuer the winner. Murray is back in front again.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 3-3 - Murray comes up with a spectacular flicked backhand smash, which he puts on the angle across court with his back to play. That sees the Scot level at deuce but a forehand long followed by an inside out forehand into the net across court and Simon has the hold the truly levels this final set.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 3-2 - BREAK! Murray perhaps a little guilty of thinking he had this match won already as he takes his foot off the gas and finds himself a break point down. It's a chance Simon happily grabs, the Frenchman finding a huge forehand to put Murray on the backfoot and eventually drawing the error from the Scot.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 3-1 - Simon finally gets his side of the scoreboard ticking over again as he holds when Murray puts a forehand return of serve into the net. It's a long way back for Simon now though.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 3-0 - Another quick and easy service hold from Murray consolidates the break in this final set and Simon looks as though his challenge is rapidly slipping away from him now
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 2-0 - BREAK! Murray whips a forehand passing shot across court, threading it through the tiniest gap, to bring up two break points. Simon saves the first but there is nothing he can do about the second as Murray breaks with another great forehand.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 1-0 - Murray and Simon are both left pretty frustrated when the groundsmen insist on watering the court between sets and then make the players wait for the water to soak in. But Murray holds to open this final set.
- - MURRAY 2-6 6-4 - SET! Simon appears to have the point well and truly won only to put his regulation shoulder-height forehand into the top of the net.
- - MURRAY 2-6 5-4 - Murray rushes up to a shorter ball and riffles a forehand down the line to bring up two set points. The both go begging but the Scot gets a third chance with backhand down the line that a lunging Simon can only return into the net. Again the chance is squandered but a fourth set point is his when Simon sends a forehand wide down the line. Murray pulls his cross corut backhand wide but Simon slaps down a double fault. A fifth set point is Murray's...
- - MURRAY 2-6 5-4 - Consecutive shots into the net from Murray, a backhand and then a forehand, see Simon with a 0-30 advantage against the Scot's serve. Murray recovers one point with a great first serve and cross court forehand winner and also a second when Simon sends a forehand long. Another great first serve and smash winner earns Murray a game point which he takes full advantage of with a superb cross court forehand passing shot winner. Simon will have to serve to stay in this set next.
- - MURRAY 2-6 4-4 - Simon holds to 30 when a Murray backhand ends up in the bottom of the net, the Scot finding himself off-balance after a change of direction on the baseline.
- - MURRAY 2-6 4-3 - Murray brings up points for a love service hold with a great lob that Simon attempts the between-the-legs shot off but is unable to keep his ball down in court. And the Scot does hold without dropping a point when Simon's forehand down the line drifts wide.
- - MURRAY 2-6 3-3 - Murray ends up at the net after Simon's shot catches the top of it and bounces over. The Scot is easily up to it but his drop shot attempt sits up and Simon has little trouble is racing up and whipping a forehand across court forthe winner that seals the hold.
- - MURRAY 2-6 3-2 - Murray is finally starting to make some in-roads as he holds to finally get ahead, albeit it only on serve, in this second set.
- - MURRAY 2-6 2-2 - BREAK! Great resistance from the Frenchman as he holds firm and eventually drawing the error on an inside-out cross court forehand from Murray to save a fifth break point. The Scot paints the lines to earn himself a sixth chance and finally he does break back with a blistering backhand return across court that Simon can only knock back into the net. Back on serve in this second set.
- - MURRAY 2-6 1-2 - A hint of an opportunity for Murray as Simon pushes his forehand down the line just wide. And that hint is turned into two break back chances when Simon nets a cross court backhand on the slide. The first goes begging when Murray nets a backhand while Simon saves the second with an angled cross court forehand winner. The Scot gets a third chance but Simon saves it again with a great backhand across court. A fourth opportunity also goes begging with a sliced forehand long...
- - MURRAY 2-6 1-2 - Much better from Murray as he works Simon around the baseline, drawing him into the net and then hitting a dipping passing shot that the Frenchman cannot return despite getting a racquet to it. That sees the Scot level at 30-30 from 0-30 down and from there he goes on to hold a couple of points later.
- - MURRAY 2-6 0-2 - As if Simon needs luck on his side as well tonight, the Frenchman doing well to get up to a decent drop shot from Murray and replying with the perfect drop shot of his own after his forehand had caught the top of the tape and rolled just over.
- - MURRAY 2-6 0-1 - BREAK! A positive start to the point from Murray but Simon hits a couple of lines, especially with a cross corut forehand when the ball skids through and draws the forehand error from Murray. Simon has an early break point in this second set. It goes begging when the Frenchman hits a cross court forehand long but he gets a second chance and this time he does break with a stunning forehand winner.
- - MURRAY 2-6 - SET! Simon fails to put his first smash away but manages it on the second, this time across court instead of down the line, to bring up a first set point. Murray slaps a dis-interested-looking forehand long of the baseline and Simon has the first set.
- - MURRAY 2-5 - BREAK! Simon whips a forehand passing shot down the line for a winner to go ahead at 15-30 before a Murray forehand down the line drifts wide to hand the Frenchman another break point. Simon is unable to take advantage, sending his backhand return long, but another forehand error from Murray hands the Frenchman a second chance. And this time he does break when Murray hits into the net. Simon will serve for the opening set after the change of ends.
- - MURRAY 2-4 - Murray whips a forehand return across court for a winner after taking the ball incredibly early. It brings up a break point but he can't take advantage of it twisting on a cross court backhand and sending the ball wide and slightly long of the corner. Again he is left clutching his hip when he slips slightly on his way forward to a shorter serve. The ball ends up in the net as does a forehand on the next point as Simon holds.
- - MURRAY 2-3 - Murray finds his second ace of the evening to seal a second comfortable hold and ensure the deficit remains just the one break of serve.
- - MURRAY 1-3 - A better forehand from Murray, which Simon can only return into the net, puts the pressure on the Frenchman at 40-30 on his serve. But a forehand long on the very next point and Simon has another hold.
- - MURRAY 1-2 - Much, much better from Murray this time around as he holds to love when Simon fails to find the court with his return. Murray is on the scoreboard.
- - MURRAY 0-2 - Simon sends Murray first one way and then the other before sealing a hold with a wrong-footing forehand winner. The Frenchman has made a confident start to this match.
- - MURRAY 0-1 - BREAK! Simon earns himself an early break point with an injection of pace on a forehand down the line that Murray cannot return into play. The Frenchman squanders the chance with an off-forehand wide across court. Simon gets a second chance, however, and this time he is handed the break as Murray slaps a careless forehand long before clutching his hip and grimacing. Hopefully that's nothing serious.
- - The players are just about ready to go and it will be Murray to kick things off by serving first...
- - Of those 11 meetings, four have been on clay; the first, in Rome, won by Simon. Then came Hamburg and Madrid in 2008, and Monte Carlo and Madrid in 2011. The 2011 Madrid clash saw Murray drop one of his two sets to the Frenchman but he eventually came out on top 6-4 3-6 6-0.
- - These two have faced each other 11 times over the past six years with Murray leading the head-to-head stats overwhelmingly. The Frenchman won the first clash, in three sets on the clay in Rome, but since then Murray has been completely dominant. The Scot has won all 10 of their other meetings, only dropping a two sets in the process. Their most recent clash came at the Australian Open earlier this year when Murray dropped just seven games.
- - We're going to shift our focus now over to Manolo Santana where Andy Murray is about to take to the court against Gilles Simon.
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||27/12/1984|