|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Next up for Serena will be a clash against Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia.
- - WILLIAMS 6-1 6-3 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Serena squanders the chance to fashion a match point when she puts a fairly routine backhand into the net down the line. Minella can't hold on that point though or two points later when she nets a low forehand. A forehand long then hands Serena a match point but Minella does brilliantly well with a forehand down the line that the world number one can only return wide. But Serena gets a second chance and this time she seals victory with a forehand winner.
- - WILLIAMS 6-1 5-3 - Yet another hold to love from Serena brought up by an ace and sealed with a backhand winner leaves Minella serving to stay in this match next. The Luxemburger has won just seven points against the Serena serve today, and given that four of them came in that game at the beginning of this set when Serena dropped serve, that's only three in regular games.
- - WILLIAMS 6-1 4-3 - Credit to Minella as she holds to 15 with a series of huge serves that Serena cannot return in play. A backhand smash into the net from the American hands the game to Minella.
- - WILLIAMS 6-1 4-2 - Serena races through a service hold for the loss of just the one point, consolidating her break with an ace - her third of the match - and leaving herself potentially just two games away from the second round.
- - WILLIAMS 6-1 3-2 - BREAK! Serena rides her luck in the opening point of the game, her mis-hit forehand catching the top of the tape and rolling just over for a winner that Minella stood absolutely no chance in getting to. The American then goes on to break to love when Minella completely mis-times a backhand.
- - WILLIAMS 6-1 2-2 - Minella makes a fantastic challenge on a serve from Williams that is called in but was actually just wide. It's a second serve for the American but Minella sends her forehand long to squander the chance at levelling at deuce.
- - WILLIAMS 6-1 1-2 - BREAK! A forehand deep across court from Minella sees Serena slice a bizarre forehand long and slightly wide. It brings up a game point for Minella although Serena levels at deuce with an inside out cross court forehand. A backhand error then hands Serena an immediate break back opportunity but the American doesn't really have to do anything to seal it as Minella slaps down a double fault of her own to concede her break advantage.
- - WILLIAMS 6-1 0-2 - BREAK! Well, well. Serena has gone walk about. A smash winner from Minella brings up a break point and it's enough to put the pressure on Serena, who slaps down a double fault to gift her opponent the break on the very next point.
- - WILLIAMS 6-1 0-1 - Minella comes through a battling hold to open the second set, the Luxemburger holding from deuce when Serena goes for a low sliced backhand only to hit into the net.
- - WILLIAMS 6-1 - SET! An ace from Serena brings up triple set before she takes full advantage of the very first one with another booming serve that Minella simply cannot deal with.
- - WILLIAMS 5-1 - BREAK! A fantastic forehand passing shot from Minella goes for a winner but the Luxemburger almost takes the umpires head off with a running forehand. She's very apologetic and there are smiles all round before she drops serve for a second consecutive time with a backhand volley error.
- - WILLIAMS 4-1 - Serena races through another service hold to love, that's three in a row now, the American firing down a second ace to seal the game and consolidate the break.
- - WILLIAMS 3-1 - BREAK! Minella appears to be going well early in the game when she again draws return errors from Serena. But the Luxemburger nets a forehand to gift Serena a first break point, the American only needing the one as she again over-powers Minella and draws the forehand error.
- - WILLIAMS 2-1 - Another love service game from Serena, set up with an ungainly but very effective forehand drive volley winner before a backhand return error from Minella handed the American the game.
- - WILLIAMS 1-1 - Minella produces a cracking first serve to open her first service game, taking the point when Serena nets her forehand return. That should help settle the nerves. And the Luxemburger goes on to hold to 30 when Serena again nets a forehand return off a tricky body serve from Minella.
- - WILLIAMS 1-0 - Serena opens the match with an ace before racing through the rest of the game and sealing a hold to love when Minella fails to find the court with a forehand return.
- - Mandy Minella, Serena's opponent today, has never won a grass court match nor has she ever taken a set off any top 30 player. She has her work cut out for her today!
|Date of Birth||26/09/1981|
|Date of Birth||22/11/1985|