|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - ISNER 6-7 (8-10) 6-7 (3-7) - GAME, SET & MATCH! Nadal claims the 59th title of his career to warm up for the US Open in style after an extremely hard-fought win that came down to two tie breaks. In the second, the Spanish ace earned a double break and never looked back, surging to a 7-3 triumph. It's a first Cincinnati title for Rafa and one that takes him back to World Number 2.
- - ISNER 6-7 6-6 - TIE BREAK! More brave play from Isner who responds to the pressure with some sublime shots to force the match into a second tie break.
- - ISNER 6-7 5-6 - Nadal keeps the heat on Isner with an accomplished service game to love. Is this going to be another tie break or can Nadal finally break and take the title?
- - ISNER 6-7 5-5 - Nadal raced into a 0-30 lead and piled the pressure on the American with the title just two points away. A big serve got Isner back into it and a sweeping forehand levelled the game up. A clever second serve got him in front and he held firm to make it 5-5.
- - ISNER 6-7 4-5 - Nadal has won over 80 per cent of his first service points and again offers Isner no hope with a routine game to love.
- - ISNER 6-7 4-4 - Isner manages to hold serve with a mix of brute force, unforced errors and a sublime, disguised drop shot from the baseline to take the game to 30. An ace inevitably sees off Nadal's bid to break.
- - ISNER 6-7 3-4 - Isner fights back from 30-15 down to earn his second break point of the match. However, despite pushing Nadal to the limit he can't make up the ground to deny the Spaniard at the net. At deuce, the World Number 3 regroups and claims the next two points to hold serve.
- - ISNER 6-7 3-3 - Nadal gets the first sniff of anything like a break but is eventually overpowered by a series of sweeping forehands from Isner who goes on to claim the game to 15.
- - ISNER 6-7 2-3 - At least Nadal's service game provides the opportunity for the occasional rally with the odd sprinkling of Rafa magic keeping him out of danger. At 30-15 a sensational forehand that clips the baseline puts him in command before Isner fires a low shot into the net.
- - ISNER 6-7 2-2 - It's not proving to be a classic but both players are giving a masterclass in how to hold your service game. This time Isner takes another one to love.
- - ISNER 6-7 1-2 - It's deja vu as Nadal races through another service game, this time to love. Another tie break anyone?
- - ISNER 6-7 1-1 - Isner puts his dismay behind him with a morale-boosting service game to love. A fist-pump celebration following an opening forehand winner illustrating his desire to keep fighting for this title.
- - ISNER 6-7 0-1 - Nadal looks to take advantage of the American's first set disappointment with a quick-fire service game to 15.
- - ISNER 6-7 ( 8-10) - SET - Nadal leads! An epic tie break goes with serve until the eighth point when Isner fired long to give Nadal a mini break. However, both players made errors to prolong the first set further before Rafa finally made his break count by holding serve after Isner volleyed into the net.
- - ISNER 6-6 - TIE BREAK - Nadal fires long following an edgy opening rally to give Isner hope. The American then wins a huge challenge on Nadal's serve to force a double fault and a 0-30 lead. Rafa has the American running everywhere but a sensational return catches the Spaniard out at the net and gives him two set points. Nadal saves both with some brave tennis before going on to push the contest into a tie break.
- - ISNER 6-5 - A deft touch at the net from Nadal sees him get ahead before two searing serves from Isner put him in control. Two more rasping forehands clinch the game and heaps the pressure on Nadal as a tie-break looms ever closer on the horizon.
- - ISNER 5-5 - Rafa holds to love with his first ace of the contest.
- - ISNER 5-4 - Isner continues to impress the home crowd with a mix of fizzing serves and thumping forehands. And at 30-15 he outfoxes the world number three with a delightful drop shot before teasing the winner back into the empty court. It looks like another easy hold but Nadal fights back and forces the first deuce of the match with a sensational return to thwart Isner's slam dunk. A huge call at deuce (2) sees Isner win a challenge on his baseline before smashing down another ferocious serve.
- - ISNER 4-4 - Isner loses a challenge in the opening point of the game and then whips a fine winner down the line. Rafa responds forcing his opponent into THREE unforced errors to triumph. If the American could eradicate those basic mistakes he would be some player.
- - ISNER 4-3 - Nadal appears frustrated at his inability to make an impact on the Isner serve. He loses a challenge on a long call at the baseline and ultimately fails to break despite winning two points. So far Isner's ability to fire down almost un-returnable serves when it matters is keeping him ahead.
- - ISNER 3-3 - Nadal races into a 40-0 lead with the minimum of fuss before offering Isner a chink of light with a double fault. The American's brute force sees him take it to 40-30 with a dismissive forehand, only for the Spaniard to fire in a sublime baseline winner to level it up.
- - ISNER 3-2 - The giant American makes another confident start to lead 30-0. However, Nadal manages to work his way back into the game before Isner shows he can mix it up with a thumping forehand followed by a sublime drop shot to hold serve to 30.
- - ISNER 2-2 - Nadal's serve providing more opportunities for the spectators to enjoy a rally and the Spanish ace's accuracy is tempting Isner into some poor unforced errors. Another thumping shot from the baseline secures a game-15 success.
- - ISNER 2-1 - Isner again shows there is more to his game than a thumping serve with some nice baseline shots, including a thumping winner. Nadal failed to make the most of his returns and the American again holds with ease.
- - ISNER 1-1 - Nadal levels with what turned out to be a relatively comfortable service game after losing the first point and looking nervy in the early rallies.
- - ISNER 1-0 - The American star enjoys a comfortable first service game, firing down three aces as he clinches it to 15.
- - So here we go, a match being ironically billed as David versus Goliath, with the 6ft 10 inch American facing the 6ft 1 inch Spaniard. Of course, in tennis terms, Nadal is the overwhelming favourite. Isner to serve....
17.40 - Nadal targeting a ninth trophy triumph for the season while Isner will be hoping he can snare a maiden ATP Masters 1000 title in what is only his second final. In total the big-hitting American has seven career titles to-date.
17.30 - But Nadal will undoubtedly be his toughest test yet. The Spaniard has been in imperious form this season, clocking up a run of 51-3 and reaching 10 finals out of the 11 tournaments in which he has competed. Indeed, a victory here would see the 27-year-old claim a 59th career title.
17.25 - Ranked 22nd in the world, the unseeded Isner has failed to beat Nadal in all three of their previous meetings. However, the homegrown underdog, who towers in at an imposing 6ft 10 inches, will come into this full of confidence having ousted Novak Djokovic and Juan Martin del Potro en route to the final.
17.20 - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage of the Cincinnati Masters final between John Isner and Rafael Nadal.
|Date of Birth||26/04/1985|
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|